“Nice Location and hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Huntingdon Valley, Pennsylvania
“Nice Location and hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

Very convenient location in downtown Philadelphia. Staff very friendly and informative. Has many very good restaurants within walking distance. It has Valet parking and very nice atrium. Starbucks on site.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Polish first
Ashtabula, Ohio, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We went to Philadelphia on business for two days. The Marriot Downtown had a great location near the convection center and plenty to do downtown. The cleans were clean and roomy. Friendly staff for check in and also coming in and out of the front room (Market Street entrance). They have at least 3 entrances.
We ate twice at the Reading Market which is one club away from 13th entrance. The Market was wonderful with many places to eat and also locals shopped for fresh produce and meats, cheeses, baked items etc.
While in the hotel room we could not find the glass coffee pot and went to room service to get coffee. Then we found the instructions - there is no coffee pot. You are supposed to use to new the new tray with coffee use, and use the disposal cup. The one cup was one not more coffee.
The other TV use that was confusing. Can't we easy coffee and TV remote with out confusion?

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor! Your feedback both positive and negative is much appreciated. Please accept my apologies for the fustration you had with the coffee maker and tv remote. We strive to deliver the best for our customers and regret that we failed to do that for you. We are currently having the tv remote redesigned and anticipate new ones by late December/early January. We are addressing the issue that you had with the coffee with our Director of Services. Thank you again for your time and consideration and we hope to welcome you back soon!
Olney, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

This is a very busy hotel but it is very nice, and close to everything. There was a little wait for the room to be cleaned (waited until 5:15pm) but it was worth the wait, and the staff was very friendly.The food at the hotel was great, I definitely want to go back.

Shawnee On Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

When they handed out land, God gave the owners of this Marriott a big kiss. It is located on Market Street a few blocks from city hall, and right next to the Reading Market -- actually a nicely done food court masquerading as a real urban market. So everything is right here. And if the Starbuck's in the lobby is too crowded you can go across the street to the gourmet coffee place in the Market and get your java. Rooms are spacious and clean, and there are lots of them. This is a very big commercial hotel with people running around wearing convention badges. If the size is not a problem, and the price (we got a discount deal) is acceptable, you can't do better, I've stayed at just about every city center/convention area Philadelphia hotel on Market and on Chestnut, and this is the top one.

Louisville, KY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I visited Philly recently for one night to attend a birthday party for a friend and I chose the Marriott Downtown mostly because of the location. The location didn't disappoint. It was wonderful to be right in the middle of downtown and so close to the Market East SEPTA station. The station is actually connected to the hotel and convention center. Also, Reading Terminal is right next door and there is an endless selection of food and wares.

I always hear such good things about Marriott. This was my first stay in a Marriott hotel and I must say I was a bit disappointed. I stayed in room 1130, which is on the 11th floor and about as close to the elevators as you can get. Because I was right next to the elevators there was a lot of hallway noise. I brought earplugs, so this wasn't much of a problem. Upon entering the room I immediately noticed the smell of mold. It was very strong and the room was stuffy. I adjusted the thermostat and it took a while for the room to cool down but the smell never went away. Very unpleasant.

There is a 7 eleven directly across from the main entrance on Filbert Street, which was a major convenience for me because I like to keep snacks and bottled water on hand. My room didn't have a fridge so I decided to put a couple of bottles of water on ice in the ice bucket from my room. Conveniently the ice machine/vending machine area was practically outside the door to my room. Inconveniently, the ice machine didn't work. The other irritation about the room is the TV. I am usually pretty good at figuring out electronics but I couldn't for the life of me get the TV to stay on any one program for longer than 10 minutes. It is quite a process to go through the menu to find a channel because you have to make several selections only to have your TV automatically switch from what you are watching back to the main menu/ welcome to Marriott screen. After several attempts to watch TV, I finally gave up and went to bed. If I was staying for more than one night I would have asked for a different room but since I was on very limited time, I didn't want to spend my fun time discussing my room problems and asking to be moved.

However, this Marriott does get a lot right. The bed was comfortable and the room appeared clean, though it would have been nice to not smell mold. The staff were all pleasant. I encountered staff in several areas of the hotel from check in to the concierge to the lobby bar and everyone was friendly and a pleasure to talk to. The bar is open late and the bartenders are wonderful. After checking out, I stashed my bag with the bell service for a few hours and they were having a great time and very friendly. I would stay at this hotel again for the location but I would be certain not to stay in room 1130 and I may ask for a TV tutorial from the friendly staff.

Room Tip: There is more hallway noise close to the elevators
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Barbara F, Executive Guest Experience Liaison at Philadelphia Marriott Downtown, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor! We greatly appreciate the feedback both positive and negative. Please accept my apologies for the unsatisfactory accommodations your were given and the nonfunctioning ice machine. We only wish that we were able to address the issue while you were here. We strive to deliver the best that our customers like you deserve and expect but obviously failed in you case. Please feel free to contact me directly should your travels bring you back to Philadelphia and our hotel so that I can personally handle your reservation to ensure that it exceeds your expectations. I can be reach at (215) 625-6030.
Mickleton, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

My family and I stayed at the Marriott a few weeks ago and I was so happy with everyone from the valet to the front desk and the staff at the pool. The rooms were clean, the staff was friendly and location is the best. I will always stay at a Marriott --just simply the best.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for the great review of your recent stay with us. We appreciate your taking the time to share your positive feedback! I have taken the liberty of sharing your great comments with our staff and they were delighted to hear them. We hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!
Cookham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The Marriot Downtown is suituated conveniently for access to most of the major parts of the city. We walked most places during the evening which was great as you never experience that much from the back of a cab.

The rooms are fine although a little basic, however the beds are very comfortable and provided an excellent nights sleep. All the furnishings were in good condition and the carpet was very clean which isn't the case in every hotel. The bathroom was a good size and was again very clean.

The hotel lobby bar was fine although it was excessively noisy even when there weren't that many people around. I felt the acoustics amplified the sound (although they may have just been loud?).

I avoided breakfast as the cost was very high for what was available and in the local area there was plenty to chose from, with even the Starbucks in the hotel having a range that was better (although the queue can become very long).

Overall, the hotel was good for my business trip, but probably not my first choice if I was going on holiday.

If you find my reviews of use, please let me know by giving me a helpful vote.

Room Tip: The 12th floor is quite good if you are away from the elevators
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!