“I've paid less for more” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Save Saved
You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #42 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Fredericksburg, Texas
“I've paid less for more”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Great location. Close to everything. Parking is expensive, about $50 a day. I can live with that, but I can't live with a room with no fridge, and no free WiFi. Like airlines, upscale hotels make their money on fees. But I spent the previous two nights in cheaper hotels with better amenities. C'mon, no fridge in the room? Thank goodness I had a cooler and access to the ice machine. Beds were great. Housekeeping never got to my room until after noon, I assume they were doing turnovers first. The fastest elevators I've ever used! But I spent over $1000 ($200/night) with no WiFi. It's time for that model to change. Not everyone who stays in these hotels has an expense account.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
  • Polish first
Central Islip, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

I attended a Conference the past few days and stayed at this Marriott. I've been a big Marriott fan for years and this one was a great disappointment.

A few things:
1) Wifi is only free in the lobby and it is so slow, you are better off going into the attached Starbucks and use their service. The room charge for Wifi is almost $20 a day.
2) Valet Parking is $48.00 a day, but their are public garages across the street for half the price.
3) Marriott is usually known for their soft beds, this hotel recently changed their mattresses. My mattress was so hard that I had to take 2 Tylenol to sleep through the night. The next day housekeeping placed additional mattress pads on the bed. It helped but it still did not provide the comfort I associate with a Marriott.
4) We paid $28 for two glasses of White Zinfandel, their is a Liquor store across the street:)

The past thing about this Marriott is its location.

Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

We stayed for 5 days for a conference. The hotel is very nice, typical for a Marriott in a large city. We had no complaints except the parking: Valet parking is $48 per day ($40 + $8 tax). If you don't utilize the parking, arrival and departure loading/unloading are rather difficult. We utilized nearby garage parking; with a coupon received through the conference coordinators, we paid only $15 per day.
What made our stay memorable was the hotel restaurant, "13." I have food allergies, which makes it difficult to eat out safely. I rarely enjoy the experience. At "13," I received excellent service, careful attention, and creative, delicious meals. My husband, who has no allergies, enjoyed every dish that he tried. We ended up eating there every night. The prices are typical for a large city restaurant.
I would highly recommend the restaurant, regardless of whether you stay at the hotel or not.

Tucson, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel has the perfect location, especially because it is attached to the convention center. The service was very good, beds comfy, rooms clean. But... My biggest gripe would be the drink prices! They were charging 11.00 for Woodbridge wine! This is about a 500 percent profit! And it's not that all of downtown Philly is expensive like NYC, you can walk a block and get great wine (and a decent pour) for $7.00. They basically know they have the corner on the market with folks attending conventions and they gouge you. Second biggest gripe...they shower heads. Looked like new shower heads and looked like good ones, but basically it was like showering in the rain. I had to rinse my hair under the tub spigot to get the shampoo out. So irritating if you have to be there more than one day! I gave the hotel a 4 out of 5 for the location and service, and the beds were especially wonderful. My advice? Buy your own wine down the street and be ready for a long frustrating useless shower! :)

Room Tip: Go for "the tower".
Chesapeake, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013 via mobile

The Philadelphia Marriott Downtown was a sensational location for the conference I attended. The six day stay was refreshing as the friendly and always helpful hotel staff provided for every need. Housekeeping was gracious and our room was extremely well maintained. The hotel eateries offered a variety of tasty options at reasonable prices. Due to the central location of the hotel many of Philadelphia's best sites were in walking distance or there was a taxi ready to take you where you wanted to go. The Reading Market across the street was fun and inviting. The tour bus company picks up as stop 5 right at the corner of the hotel making sightseeing easy. I would love ti return.

• Stayed June 2013
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

First let me say my family and I stayed here because of a convention I was attending.

We received a very good rate as a block rate for the convention and the hotel extended that rate for the entire time we were there which exceeded the conference. They did not have to do that but it was nice of them.

The concierge desk was very helpful and attentive and personable each time we used them.

We did rent a car from Hertz while we were at the hotel as they have a desk there. Treated very well by Harrison who is the branch manager.

Hotel was clean and modernized. Easy check in and out.
Had to call for maintenance the first day as the toilet backed up. They responded very quickly and it was handled right away. So, a potentially bad thing was quickly attended to. Also, there was a fair amount of mold on the ceiling in the bathroom and paint was peeling quite a bit.

Hotel did a very good job taking care of the needs of the conference and the attendees. More than 3000 of us.

Downsides? Only a few (very few):
First - Starbucks. The line in the morning is HORRIBLE!! There are two more within a couple blocks that we never had to wait more than a couple minutes. Not bad service or treatment just horrible lines. There is also a dunkin donuts on the corner for those so inclined.

Second - Hotel food. Nuff said. But you have INCREDIBLE choices only a VERY short walk from the front door. Don't waste your money on food in the hotel. Go outside. Go to the Reading Terminal Market for breakfast or lunch and any one of the plethora of very good restaurants nearby.

Finally - Valet Parking. Ok I realize that this is a city...downtown in a city. And I realize that parking is a premium...but $50 a night? Park in nearby parking garages for about half that. And last but certainly not least. If you do use the valet parking make sure that you inspect every inch of you car when it is brought back to you. We did not do this and found out later that the valet had backed into something and damaged the bumper in the rear of the car. Since we did not notice this when we picked it up from valet we assumed responsibility for the damage (even though we had no clue where or when it happened) and went to file the papers with Hertz. It was then and only then that we found out that the valet had later confessed to the damage but we were not told until that evening when we got back after worrying about it all day. Kinda unprofessional on the valet part but in the end it all worked out.

Would I stay here again? Probably would.

Room Tip: ask for a room not on the market street side as it gets kinda noisy from traffic.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night as part of a tour. As it is in downtown Philadelphia, it is probably best suited to single night stays or business travel. It has the high standards that one expects from a Marriott. The bonus for us was that it was over the road from Macy's (Shop till you drop) and the Reading Market.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!