“Fantastic hotel across from Reading Terminal Market” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Save Saved
You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Up To 25,000 Points
Ranked #41 of 82 Hotels in Philadelphia
Clarks Summit, PA
“Fantastic hotel across from Reading Terminal Market”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very smooth check-in process. Marriott truly delivers value for the money here. All hotel staff was amazingly pleasant. If you don't want to park at the hotel, try parking four blocks away on 8th & Market, ($18 daily if you print coupon from Central Parking.) Altogether a great hotel in a great location-

Room Tip: High floors, some with views of city hall
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
  • Polish first
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Marriott Downtown for the annual Army-Navy Game. We traveled as a couple, but had family and friends meet us at the hotel where we all enjoyed spending time. I didn't realize beforehand that the hotel was hosting the annual ball and was the main headquarters for the Army. Because that was the point of our trip, it was a unexpected and good surprise to find ourselves in the middle of the festivities.

In general for a trip to Philly, I would recommend the Downtown Marriott because of it's easy access to public transportation. We took the train directly from the airport, which dropped us a block away from the hotel, and it was possible to walk under cover directly to the hotel. Outside the main doors on Market Street is a stop for buses and the subway, and the historical district is a very short trip by transportation or 15 minute walk. Philly has it done right, with all the sports arenas in one area, which again, is just a straight subway trip to the end of the line from the station near City Hall.

The hotel itself was in good shape; the staff was attentive and interested. Of course the game weekend creates a holiday atmosphere and puts everyone in a good mood and on high alert so service was excellent. Looking at it as a reviewer, I do have to admit the room needed a dusting, but everything else was in order. I also liked the room safe. Noise wasn't an issue despite the party scene downstairs in the main lobby.

FYI: we walked quite a bit around the area looking for a few little places for breakfast and discovered the best breakfast (although not the cheapest) right at the hotel restaurant.

We also got great service from the concierge the evening of arrival, who advised us on a good restaurant for our group of varied ages, some of whom had already eaten dinner and wanted dessert, and others who were ready for a full course meal.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked my stay here on Priceline for a weekend trip for a girlfriend and myself. We had a great time because we were close to everything, especially South St and the market place. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Ringwood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I love to travel! But I ALWAYS come home with some type of odd experience that leads me to an upgrade or something due to things that go wrong on trips that should not go wrong. Not here....I stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown for a dance competition. All I can say is WOW! I think this is one of the friendlies hotels that I have every stayed. When I stay at a hotel because of a dance competition, I have learned not to expect the hotel to care the same as the hotels I stay at on vacations. This was not the case. The hotel did everything it promised to do and more!! I checked in 11:30 PM and there was staff at the desk. He was friendly and extremely helpful. I asked my have another party's room near mine and he said he would. (When they check in, their room was across the hall). My room was in the corner and spacious, clean and had plenty of towels. I had requested a refrigerator and there was one in the room. I asked for more towels and was told it would take awhile so I did not need to wait and when I returned.. the towels were actually in the bathroom! The concierge recommended cafe's, restaurants and was very helpful with any questions that I had. All of the recommendations that I followed were fabulous. He told us to try "Green Eggs and Ham".. we went 2x's. He recommended a French Cafe on Walnut . I brought 8 people and that was fabulous. He called Maggiano's for us and tried to make reservations for 20. When he was told they were full. He asked them to talk to the manager and then he gave them my number to see if they could help us out. The concierge actually knew Philadelphia! He was friendly, informative and knew my name within a day of arriving at the hotel. EVERY staff member of the hotel that I walked by or had a conversation with went out of their way to greet me. I asked the valet to keep my car in front for a few minutes while I put some things in it.. and he said "sure." The cleaning people, bell hop, front desk, EVERYONE greeted me when I walked by. I have never experienced a hotel so friendly at all levels. I was very impressed!! The location of the hotel was perfect for us since the dance competition was in the convention center. We did not have to go outside to get there. There is also a hugh food market/ food court across the street which was great to find food for the dancers. Even if you are not hungry you should see this!! It has every type of food you could want. The hotel has a large lobby with plenty of seating to sit and wait to meet others. There is a restaurant, Starbucks, and a few bars. We went out to eat or bought food from the food market so I do not know how it is.

Mesa, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

The location of this hotel is amazing! I took a cab from the airport and was greeted by wonderful Marriott staff. They opened car doors, greeted with friendly smiles and opened the front lobby doors. They left a wonderful impression right from the start and it continued inside.
I was taken care of right away. My reservation was made my work and a king bed room on the concierge floor was reserved. I was a little disappointed when I was told there were no king bed rooms available, but what could I do? Check in was smooth and painless.
The room was nice ~ a little small ~ and not worth the $229 price tag! The bed, however, was comfortable and that is always important.
As stated ~ I did have access to the concierge lounge on the 23rd floor. Upon arrival I was greeted by an older gentleman who was very nice. They were getting ready to put away snacks and he offered me everything he could. The chocolate covered strawberries were excellent!
Breakfast in the concierge lounge was also wonderful Scrambled eggs, bacon, assortment of breads and muffins, fruit, cereal and juices. It was perfect before heading out for the work day.
Overall, the stay was good, but mainly because work was picking up the tab. Three nights came to almost $800 ~ which I felt was a little steep ~ but hey ~ we were in the middle of downtown!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Queensbury, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We stayed at the Philadephia Marriott Downtown for two nights, visiting friends. The hotel was easy to find, right in the heart of many historical landmarks, right across the street from the famous Reading Terminal Market (amazing food), and the bus & train stations. Transportation was really easy to find. The lobby was gorgeous, well marked and staff was VERY friendly. I know many locations have this now, but I liked that we had to use our room key in the elevator in order to reach our floor, made me feel that little bit more secure. Our room was a standard king room but it was clean. The only negative, for such a nice building and room our bathroom ceiling was bubbling and peeling, nothing major, but it was noticeable. I was suprised to see an eyesore like that when everything else was so nice. We stayed in room 2136. Thanks again Marriott, we always enjoy our stays!

Reading, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

The hotel is connected to the PA Convention Center and Market east Septa Station as well as the Gallery Mall. Marriott for some reason has the most comfortable bed of any hotel. the lounge is nice as big. The staff were friendly and if your lucky you can a room looking out at Billy Penn on city hall. Close to major historical locations and not to far from museums. make sure to visit the reading terminal market for some good food

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!