“extremely poor service/dirty” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Save Saved
You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #41 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Vienna, Austria
“extremely poor service/dirty”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

I staid at this hotel 300 USD/night 4 nights. Very poor service, rude and not trained staff. Room was dirty, dusty carpets, filty underneath my bed. Service overall amongst the worst I have experienced in US.
A hotel with more then 1000 rooms, caters for large congresses, so stay away if you can.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

1,550 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
  • Polish first
Newtown, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We went downtown b/c we had a free night's stay to use up. All in all the Marriott was clean and spacious. Our king bed was a bit too firm and the sheets were some kind of polyester or something that was a bit uncomfortable/hot. The staff was very friendly. We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfast buffet. Marriott does not offer free Wi-Fi in the guest rooms. They charge .25 p/minute unless you use it in the common area. That was a disappointment if you need to do work. Also, we are elite gold members b/c we use a Marriott visa and accumulated enough points to earn it. There are no Marriott perks to enjoy on a Saturday. This Marriott provides Bath and Body Works as amenities for guests. If you need to charge your phone or whatnot, do it at the desk as the outlet on the lamp on the night table only has juice when the lamp is on (unless my cord wasn't plugged all the way in my phone, but I doubt it). Our night's stay was worth it b/c it was free, clean, friendly. Nothing unusual or posh, though.

Room Tip: we were on the 21st floor. that could b why our water pressure was lower than normal. they told us w...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Spent two nights here while working in the area. Checked in the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend to find it overflowing w/Irish Step Dancers attending a competition @ the nearby convention center. Thankfully they left that night, but not until very late that night-lots of running up & down the halls until they were gone. We were given one of the executive suites w/another room connected to it which worked out very nicely for us, especially since the suite had a mini-fridge. Concierge club is one of the best I have seen-full hot breakfast & very substantial evening appetizers and desserts. Several restaurants right across the street along w/the hotel restaurant for other dining options. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Oceanside, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

At Marriott Downtown Philadelphia for a Regional Irish Step Dancing competition 11/22-11/25. Beautiful hotel and very easy to get around from. Everything went well except when we checked out and went home only to see we had a dent in rear passenger bumper. Called hotel only to get valet manager to say it might be us when we left. Told him we left valet to Long Island direct and into driveway. Pic shows yellow paint possible from concrete parking bumper, valet is always extremely busy.
New car bought from Hurricane Sandy loss 12 days earlier. Insult is that no one from valet staff owned up to this. Currently on email tag with manager. Still waiting for liability to be assumed & a refund of $91.20 for 2 days of parking. Next time I will never rush to get home.

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We are Marriott folks and this hotel did not disappoint. We stayed here for the Philadelphia Marathon and extended our stay to visit with family. Everyone was very friendly from the Valet attendants to Concierge Lounge attendants.
The room was clean and so were all of the common areas that we experienced. The pool water was pretty chilly, though, so not much time was spent there.
The location was convenient to some of the downtown attractions and we walked with our toddler (stroller) to the Liberty Bell and Big Bus Tour starting point. It was a little hike from the finish line of the Marathon, but my husband managed okay after the race. We could look out our room window and see Reading Terminal Market and from just down the hall, we could see City Hall. We also walked to the LOVE statue before we checked out before Thanksgiving- we were just sad we didn't get to experience Christmas Village! It was easy to access 95 from the hotel as well. Also, we were on the 23rd floor and never had a wait for an elevator, which is always nice.
We would recommend this hotel for travelers. We found, though, that four nights with a toddler, a suite may have been more appropriate for our needs.

North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

I stayed at the Phila Marriott Downtown for one night before running the Marathon. Hotels sell out quickly, so book early. I booked through the race website and got a decent price; overall, I was just happy to get a room in center city near race start.

The location is great for anyone running the race. The hotel is connected to the Convention Center, where packet pickup / expo is held. Great pre-race meal choices abound. The race start is an easy, direct mile walk away.

I was able to check in around 11am. The room was clean and comfortable, with a good selection of TV stations. On the day of my race, I was able to get a late checkout with no hassle. I was very pleased with my short stay, and would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Downtown Marriott this past weekend for Thanksgiving. Just to set the stage to add a little credibility to my post (versus being just a complaining customer), I exclusively stay in Marriotts for my job and I travel 50% of the year, for full weeks at a time. I am a Platinum member every year, so this is an honest Marriott review.

This is the worst Marriott that I have stayed in, hands down - and I LOVE the brand. I will continue to stay in Marriotts, but this one was just not up to par with other Downtown venues.

The common area facilities are beautiful, but the rooms are not cleaned well. Here is a quick rundown of my stay.

1. After check in at 10 pm, my wife washed her face and used a towel. As she pulled the towel away from her face, she had a clump of someone else's hair on her face that wasn't cleaned from the towel. G. R. O. S. S.

2. I am not an expert, but it looked like there was puke on the toilet. Brownish/yellow streaks down the bowl, and a few chunks of something on the back of the toilet (see picture) - not to mention a brown film on the toilet seat itself.

3. Hair in the sink and in the tub when investigated. As I pulled back the covers of the bed while deciding what to do, I noticed hair on the bottom sheet and hair on the pillow.

4. Was moved to a new room. There was hair in the sink, but at least it had a clean toilet bowl and bed.

The bellman named Dexter escorted me and my wife to a new room (he was the highlight of the trip and should probably be the hotel manager - nice, disarmed my anger, and was extremely apologetic). Promote this man.

**I am generally not a complainer, and I never ask for handouts, but I was disappointed in the resolution. I spoke with the manager the next morning, and after apologizing, he asked if there was anything he could do. I replied that whatever he felt was appropriate would be fine. I was credited 7500 points on to my account (it cost me 30K points to stay in the room). I suppose that I was hoping that the manager would have taken care of the room cost and deposited my points back to me; that is what I would have done and what I expected, I just didn't want to ask for it.

Moral of the story - if you have the flexibility, stay at the Courtyard (it is right across the street).

I will continue to back the Marriott brand and stay in Marriotts for work.

Hope this helps!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!