“Central, convenient, comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

Save Saved
You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Booking.com Orbitz.com
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #41 of 84 hotels in Philadelphia
Portugal
“Central, convenient, comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

Coming from a terrible experience in another hotel in Washington DC, Marriott first seemed like paradise!
Feet back on earth…

The Hotel is in a very convenient situation, both close to the Historical part of Town and not far from museums and Rittenhouse square. Not the best neighborhood but we never felt unsafe. Lots of stores around, Macy’s just in front, nice Market next door and subway line 10 steps away. Staff a bit impersonal but efficient. Rooms were not huge but comfortable, with safe and large screen TV.

Sole issue we didn’t like was having to pay for Wifi, otherwise great stay!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

1,417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Polish first
East Islip, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Marriot for the marathon, and the location was great. Walking distance to the start and finish and lots of restaurants fairly close by. We were greeted promptly, with friendly desk help and bell captain. We had to drop our bags off because the room wasn't ready, but we were early, so we expected that. We went for a walk and they called about 3:30 to let us know our room was ready.

The room was pretty comfortable, with a king sized bed, fluffy comforter and lots of pillows.

So my two complaints basically revolve around cleaning service. The shower wasnt completely clean, and there was soap scum and hair in one of the dishes of the shower- yuck. Then, we went to the marathon and came back- no cleaning service yet, no problem, we went out again- each time out and back greeted nicely by the cleaning lady, and when we came back at 3:50, the room was still not clean. It took until 5pm, at which point, we just asked for fresh towels, and dealt with the dirty shower, as we just wanted to relax at that point.

The value was decent, with the price for the weekend better than other recommended marathon hotels.

Overall, i'd recommend it, but might suggest to mgmt for better staffing allowing timely room service.

• Stayed November 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

this hotel is centrally located. The staff is extremely helpful, especially the concierge staff. Restaurants are within walking distance and the conference center is attached. Starbucks in the lobby - always a busy place! Internet fees are high.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room, away from an ice machine!
Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Fuquay-Varina, North Carolina, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had a great experience at this hotel. The front desk folks were friendly, my room was clean and nice too. I had a regular room and it was fairly spacious and the bathroom had plenty of counter space for me. I ordered room service one night and my food came quickly and the person bringing the food was really pleasant and courteous. The food was good, so I was pleased. Overall, I enjoyed my stay.

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel while attending a convention. It is a standard Marriott property that caters to business travellers. The hotel is connected via a bridge to the convention center making it a convenient choice for convention attendees. Marriott takes advantage of this. Lobby is noisy, busy, and crowded. It is also a very long walk to get most of the convention center. There many other hotels nearby and several of these may actually be a shorter walk to the center despite not being directly connected. The indoor walkway to the convention center and constant traffic of convention attendees do not provide any incentive make the guest experience of out the ordinary. Be careful if you are offered a room in the annex tower. While much closer to the convention center, some rooms the annex tower have a view of a nothing but a brick wall and ventilation ducts. My room also had a bad smell. The postive point is location. This hotel is very convenient to the Old City, Market Street, the train station (Market East) and the City Hall. Reading Terminal Market is around the corner.

Room Tip: Before accepting a room in the Annex, ask about the view. Some look out to a brick wall and ventilat...
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I thought this was a nice hotel. The lobby is very modern, rooms were nice, and we were on a high floor (21) which i prefer.

My brother and I stayed here on the way back to New York from Maryland. We were going to use Valet Parking, but the lot was full. Thankfully, there was a self parking garage across the street at a cheaper rate. Good option if you don't want to pay the valet price, although the guys parking/moving the cars were nice.

I'm not sure why, but the hotel was crowded with kids. First thing we noticed walking into the lobby was the mobs and mobs of kids. This was the Saturday before Halloween which may have had something to do with it? Not sure.

We had no issues with the room. Clean, updated, and had a mini-fridge. However, no free wi-fi in the rooms which I can't stand

One of the main reasons I chose the hotel was because of the location. We were able to walk around to find a good bar and it's also across the street from the Reading Terminal Market. Go get a Roast Pork sandwich from DiNic's; dare i say better than a Philly Cheese Steak?

Overall a good hotel that was clean and nice location. needs free wi-fi for guests.

**Note: The 1201 Market Street address is for dropping off. If you want valet, you need to go around to Filbert**

Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Naperville, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

I was really looking forward to my trip to Philly, I hadn't been in 15 or 20 years. The last time I was in town, I also stayed at the Marriott downtown. Sad to say--nothing's changed. It looks and feels just like it did all those many years ago. Tired, outdated, drab, and very businessman looking. I don't think anyone has informed this hotel that there are now many women who travel for business also. And we have needs. So, here is my version of my stay at this hotel.

First off, the front desk was rude, unfriendly and not accommodating-- at all. I had asked per reservation for a kingsized bed, called twice to confirm, but upon check in was told that all there were was 2 double beds. Unless of course we'd like a handicapped room. We took that room, which meant that everything was lowered for wheelchair access. Low closet bar, low shower head, which would not stay locked into place and kept sliding down as you tried to shower. The water temp kept going from hot to cold and the water pressure was nonexistent. The only amenities offered in the bathroom were shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion--no q-tips, cotton balls, nor a make-up mirror in sight. Bare bones. Even the towels felt doled out--2 of everything.

The room itself was nice sized, the bed was pretty good, as were the sheets. The TV was a large flatscreen. The coffee maker though? It's a 1 cup system, so the hotel gives you 1 cup of regular coffee and 1 cup of decaf, I guess you get to fight over the 1 cup of real coffee if there are 2 people staying in your room. Again--very tight with room amenities! The coffee wasn't very good anyway, but they threw in 2 teabags! There isn't really too much left to say, other than there was a small safe in the room along with an ironing board and very cheap iron, which would not get very hot. No mini bar or mini frig.

We did have access to the upper level, which meant free breakfast. I will say the the food and coffee (Illy) was great as were the staff. The tiny little saucers to put your food on though was down right laughable. I guess they didn't want you to take too much--again, very stingy!

Would I stay here again? No way, there are too many other hotels in the city center to try. I'm sure they are friendlier, have many more amenities, and hopefully are updated for the female traveler. The location of this hotel is excellent. The Reading Market is fun and also there is a cute little restaurant about a block away called The Corner--it was awesome!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!