“Not as good as it used to be!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

Save Saved
You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #41 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
Athens, Greece
“Not as good as it used to be!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011 via mobile

In the last 10 years I have stayed here twice as a conference participant. This was the thirdtime and although I was booked at the concierge floor the whole hotel experience was somehow inferior to the previous ones. Room was towards the standard range, resources such as bathrobes and slippers were inexistent although I asked for them. Little things that make a difference between a basic and a luxury hotel were just not there! Ofcourse location is unbeatable and because of this I would probably comeback again!

• Stayed November 2011

1,530 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
  • Polish first
Barbados
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night in August and it was a very pleasant experience. It was at the time of Hurricane Irene and we had the buffet breakfast on August 28 and it was clear that they were operating on skeleton staff but the restaurant staff must be commended because they worked really hard to ensure that the guests were really well taken care of.

The hotel is well appointed and very close to everything...shopping, restaurants and the Reading Terminal. The amish breakfast there on Saturdays is not to be missed.

All in all, very classy hotel and excellent service. However, it would have been nice to have free internet.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

Overall pleased with this hotel. Great location - basically within walking distance of most everything. Arrived early, but room wasn't ready (expected) and the front desk staff took my cell phone number and promised a call when the room was ready and she delivered (it's been my experience elsewhere that this call never seems to come!). Room clean and everything in working order. Room service breakfast was very good. Only negative - the bed was uncomfortable - old frame or something?!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Naples, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed here when I visited Philly. First off awesome location, right across from Market Street Station and not far from the historic and art districts! The hotel is beautiful, amazing rooms and amenities, and a Starbuck in the lobby! I loved it here!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

Stayed here for two nights in Oct 2011.

Hotels location is pretty good, very close to City Hall, 10 minute walk to the Historic District etc.

Having paid $60 for the room on Priceline I was not surprised to have a view over the roof but the room itself was just fine. I suspect it is one of the rooms that has been refurbished, with nice decor, and a comfortable bed.

I didn't eat in the hotel due to the nearby Reading Terminal Market, which has some outstanding options at very reasonable prices.

Do not waste money paying for the hotel parking at around $40 per night - I printed a voucher from Central Parking System and left the car (at 12th and Sansom, around three blocks away)from Friday evening to Sunday morning for $23. Drop your bags at the hotel with the Bellman before parking.

Overall the hotel was fine, and at $60 represented good value for money. At $150 bucks a night... maybe not.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I booked this hotel through priceline, naming my own price. The price I bid was all that I would be willing to pay for this hotel. Check in was smooth and the elevators worked really well. Our room was a decent size, but the bed was crunchy. Meaning when you sat on the bed it creeked....Not what I would expect from the Marriott. The location was ideal, except the parking situation. But, anytime you stay in a hotel downtown, you have to pay for parking. We paid $46 for parking with in and out privileges. I would probably choose another hotel in the future, just because this was not perfect. Also, the shower/tub could use some work. The paint was peeling in the shower and the tile looked old.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
NY,NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

I fear I'm getting a bit repetitive in these reviews but is Marriott not a top chain anymore? I know they're not the
Four Seasons but I always thought they fell into that 2nd tier of business class hotels like Hilton, Hyatt ,Sheraton, etc.

I liked this hotel and for the most part the Marriott Downtown sort of looks like a four-star. It's got a big, handsome lobby with lots of activity and several places to eat/drink. There are lot's of elevators, a pool and gym, room service and the rooms are fairly big and well furnished. There's a 37" flat-screen TV, easy chair with ottoman, desk with numerous ports and a spacious bathroom with Bath & Body Works toiletries. It's not super luxury but it's definitely above average. And I booked the room through a Priceline bid so I know I'm not getting their best room but I was definitely satisfied especially given the location which to me is perfect.. But then I tried the bed.

Now I guess I've evolved into something of a bed snob but I've stayed in 4 different Marriott properties in the last 6 months (all through Priceline) and every one had some bed issues. The mattresses themselves weren't too bad but they're nothing special and they're generally just topped with a cheap pad. You get on the bed and it shifts because the frame is old and worn. The pillows are just the cheap polyester ones that cost about 10 dollars. I just don't understand because they're equipping the rooms with $700 TV sets and the beds are like you're in a Motel 6. In this particular Marriott there was also some issues with providing accurate info because when when I checked in I was asked if I wanted a king size bed or 2 doubles and I only got a single queen. Also the hotels own website lists down pillows in the room description and clearly they were not.

I'm not saying I had a terrible night's sleep and I suspect that many wouldn't notice these deficiencies but to me a hotel is in essence a place to sleep and the bed should reflect that. Does Marriott have a problem with the quality of their beds? In my honest opinion, yes they do.

That being said I did like this hotel and would actually recommend it. The beds may not be the best you've ever slept on but there are lots of positives.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!