“Nice hotel, not worth the price for parking” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Bear, Delaware
“Nice hotel, not worth the price for parking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My only complaint about our stay is the price of parking. The amount it cost us to park, we could've stayed an extra night. It is difficult to find parking so the valet seems like a good option. However, there isn't a price posted outside the hotel for parking. You pull up and someone comes to your window and asks if you are staying at the hotel. The hotel guide in the room did not indicate that correct price for parking so we were surprised when we got our bill at check out 2 days later. It was $38.00 a night plus an additional $7.50 a night for city parking tax. It cost us $91.00 just to park. There are other hotels in the area that offer free parking or validated parking. I will stay at one of those hotels next time and possibly stay an extra night or spend the money on a nice dinner.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (337)
  • Polish first
Saranac Lake, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

So we had a beach rental in Delaware and due to Irene, we were told we could not check in due to the mandatory evacuation. So Plan B was to the Philly Marriott. It was lovely and the staff was terrific. I had no complaints whatsoever. The proximity to the Redding Market was great and the tours were informative and entertaining. We enjoyed our two night stay and plan on staying here in the future when we have the time to explore this very historical and interesting city.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Severna Park, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

This hotel situated in the heart of Philadelphia was awful! The room was very dirty with dust bunnies and hair everywhere. When you walk through those revolving doors to enter the hotel there is no real 'wow' factor then you get to your room and you see why.

I am an Elite Marriott member and was put in a room that stared out at a wall and inside another room. I then even receive a letter stating "Thank you so much for being an Elite Marriott member". It was almost a slap in the face.

Cleanliness, comfortable bed, and safety, those are the factors that I find most important. None of these were met. My spouse and I were uncomfortable to the point that we checked out within a day. There was hair on the bed, in the tub, on the shower walls; dust everywhere...even in the closet. The bed was uncomfortable and frankly it didn't really feel all that safe either. I'm glad I wasn't traveling alone.

I spoke with the receptionist at the front desk and explained how unhappy we were, she promise to credit my rewards account 3,000 bonus points for the trouble and gave me the number to the manager. I called six times, yes six and each time, even after leaving a message I never received a call back nor spoke with him. I also have not seen those promised rewards points. A true embarrassment to Marriott. I value Marriott and give them 'brand loyalty' because they rarely disappoint me, but this hotel...ugh. Awful, seek a hotel elsewhere.

There is one positive, all of the members of the staff such as the valet (mandatory), the doormen, etc...are very friendly and seem genuinely happy. So in that respect the people were very polite, even the receptionist.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2011

I stayed here one night, checked out the next. Learned my flight out was cancelled (east coast/Hurricane Irene storms?) and happily checked back in! I was able to walk everywhere I wanted and needed to go. My meetings were about 4 blocks away. Macy's is across the street. Reading Terminal market out another door. The bars and restaurants in Rittenhouse Square were a nice 10-15 min walk. Restaurants on South 13th were even closer! Both rooms I had were a very nice size and clean. Staff was very friendly. I am lucky this is on my company's approved list.

Room Tip: Try for room with higher number if you want to be closer to elevator
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

Fabulous location, fantastic customer service and very clean. Take the SEPTA from the airport and it drops you off right across the street from the hotel....talk about convenience and no need for a rental car!
Everything you would want to see in Philadelphia downtown is walking distance from the Marriott. The staff were very helpful and the executive lounge for Marriott preferred members was excellent.
This is a great Marriott property and lives up to my expectations of a good hotel for business or leisure travel while in Philly.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
South Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

I had high hopes for this Marriott located near City Hall. Check-in was smooth. The elevators worked quickly. It is a very large hotel. The lobby is large with a nice center lounge. The workout center is pretty large and the pool area looked nice.

What made the hotel average was the room. It was quite small. I was told I was in a renovated king room. If it was renovated, it is hard to imagine how horrible the room must have been in the past. Most courtyards have better decor. The carpet appeared dated. The view was non-existent, even on a high floor. The air conditioner had a water leakage sound and the toilet made a flushing sound every 20 minutes. Housekeeping did a pretty good job. The bed was comfortable.

The concierge lounge was large, but dated. The food was adequate.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Shanghai, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

Basically, it is walking distance to all attractions, the Liberty bell, independence hall, etc. I actually spent no money for the transportation during the visit. The bus station is several blocks away, and you could easily find your hotel when you step on Philly. Very close to Chinatown, so for Asian travellers, there is no better stay with good quality for you to enjoy the foods.
Service is good, staffs are nice and helpful. There is a Starbucks on the first floor, so that you could get the free wifi. Bus and train station is right outside the door.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!