“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Philadelphia Marriott Downtown

You added Philadelphia Marriott Downtown to your Saves list
Philadelphia Marriott Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   1201 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #43 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Columbus, OH
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

This hotel is right in the downtown. Its about 7ish blocks from the Constitution Center and Independence Hall area, so its walkable. Reading Terminal Market and some restaurants were right nearby. The hotel is more for business travelers then families, but we saw some other families there too.The pool was good.

I will say I was disappointed with the reliability of information from the hotel. They told us we had a certain type of bed, didn't have one when we arrived, told us they couldn't do anything about it, and yet when I insisted somehow they found a room with the right size bed.

The rooms and hotel were generally clean.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Like most Marriott's the Philadelphia Marriott downtown is clean with spacious rooms and more than satisfactory amenities. The location cannot be beat; it is within walking distance of all the historical sites as well as the downtown shops and restaurants fom the hotel through Rittenhouse Square. A couple of issues, though; upon checkin we realized the toilet was running and half-flushed itself every few minutes. We requested a room change, but were assured instead that the problem would be fixed that evening. Unfortunately when we returned late from dinner, already unpacked, the toilet was still running and woke us up several times that night.
We also realized the second morning, after seeing a tear in the topsheet that had been there upon checkin, that the sheets were not changed. While we understand that this is an energy-saving trend and have no problem with it, there was no notification that this was the policy or option offered if it did not meet our standards.
On the whole, though, very friendly and helpful staff, and the location again is great.
The indoor pool, however, even in July, was over-treated and really too cold to use.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the front and Reading Terminal; the other side faces an office building.
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

I stayed at the Marriott during a conference. The conference was in the hotel - all the conference facilities were nice.

They must have mistaken me for someone of some importance and put me on the top floor across from the suites. So, I had a great view!

The room was clean, room service was great. But I had one big beef: No wireless access in the rooms. For such a modern hotel and leading hotel chain, I was shocked when I had to pull out their complimentary Ethernet cord. Since this trip was for business, my work grinded to a halt without wireless access.

From what I understand, the hotel is undergoing some renovations. Hopefully this includes room upgrades to wireless.

I ate at the restaurant twice. Service was really nice, food was good, and I even got to witness the security team in action as they escorted a disruptive guys from the premises.

For internet junkies, there's a Marriott Courtyard right across the street that I've stayed at before and has wireless.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

Just returned from another enjoyable stay at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown. I was on the 17th floor this time; the even-numbered rooms on the upper floors seem to be the ones with the best views of City Hall, the William Penn statue, etc. My room was newly renovated - I rode the elevator with a hotel staff member who was giving a VIP a tour of the hotel and heard him say that the entire hotel has now been renovated. My room was beautiful, modern and very comfortable. Unlike my last stay, my room this time did have a safe - still no minibar or refrigerator though. The only suggestion I would have would be to ditch the pre-assembled packets with minimal sugar and powdered creamer (gross), and just provide loose packets of sweeteners and liquid creamer. What's there isn't enough, and the packets create waste since anything you don't use in the packet must be thrown away. Granted, there is a Starbucks in the lobby. :) Once again, I appreciated the prime location - across the street from the Reading Terminal (and a 7-Eleven, very convenient for snacks and drinks or if you forgot toiletries) and easy walking distance to a multitude of restaurants, shopping, etc. (you can also walk to the historic Independence Hall area about 10 blocks away, a really nice walk in good weather). My meeting was at the conference center, an easy 3-minute walk from the hotel since they're connected by an enclosed bridge. The concierge was excellent - we asked for a dinner recommendation and told him that we wanted to avoid chain restaurants. He sent us to Chifa (707 Chestnut St), which was fabulous - Peruvian Cantonese fusion, adventurous food, and a cozy, stylish atmosphere (casual dress OK).
In general, it's hard to find anything to complain about at the Philadelphia Marriott Downtown; I look forward to staying here again.

Leiden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The hotel itself is lovely but I wouldnt stay here again if I had to pay for it myself. The food is very greasy ( breakfast lunch and dinner) the staff however is extremely friendly and professional. The sushi bar was overpriced, as was the Internet connection which according to the website was supposed to be free in the lobby - I never managed to get that to work...
Rooms are great and clean - housekeeping seemed to clean the rooms late in the day except the day I was checking out where they wanted to clean it at 8am already.... Never had that happen on day I was to check out...

Albany, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

I spent one night at the Marriott Downtown with my mother and 2 children, ages 5 and 2. We arrived at about 8:00pm on a Sunday night and used the hotel's valet parking. The prices were posted prominently at the entrance to the hotel and were quoted to us by the valet who took our car. No one came to take our bags in, but we were only there for an overnight and easily brought our own bags in.

Yes, the hotel is busy. There were 2 conferences going on while we were there and the lobby was filled with people. There is a Starbucks in the lobby, as well as the hotel restaurant, and there was also a coffee cart stationed there in the morning. Hey, I'm a parent: I need my caffeine.

The front desk personnel weren't overly friendly, but were more than courteous and professional. They accommodated our last-minute request for adjoining rooms with a door so that my mother could have her own bedroom but still help out with the kids. Our 10th floor rooms were nicely furnished, clean, and there was no evidence of bedbugs. (Trust us, we stripped the beds and checked *very* thoroughly.) The beds were comfortable, and the windows kept the street noise at bay.

We left our car in the garage and used the Philly Phlash to get around. There were tons of public transportation options available and it seemed that all of the sightseeing buses and trolleys had pickup stops within a 1-3 block radius.

Our rooms were $75.00/night through Priceline, and it was like we hit the lottery with this hotel. Definitely worth it, in our opinion.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We stayed at the Philadelphia Marriott for a weekend in June after a week at the Jersey Shore.

This is a really large hotel, which suits our tastes, located in the heart of Philadelphia. We found the lobby and open spaces to be bright, upbeat and polished. We used the fitness center and really liked it since the equipment was new and the fitness center was just beautiful. Having said that, it could be larger for a hotel of that size.

Our room was compact, but again bright, clean and well laid out. The front desk staff indicated that our room had recently been updated, and it showed it.

All in all, a great, large, well appointed hotel in the heart of Philly. I already have a reservation for a conference in October and I am looking forward to staying again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Philadelphia Marriott Downtown? Share your experiences!