“A Great City Center Hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 N Juniper Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #22 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Kinston, North Carolina
“A Great City Center Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2011

I can't call it the best or the perfect downtown hotel in Philly, because this is the first one I have stayed at. I chose it after reading reviews for alot of places here at TripAdvisor. This hotel offers a great location and a great value. Ignore anybody who whines about breakfast not being included and costing alot. It's a Courtyard, and breakfast is never free here. If you need a big restaurant breakfast, better stay somewhere else. There is not much close by except for a Starbucks, a Dunkin' Donuts, and a dungy McDonalds a block away.

Location, location, location. Situated across from city hall, you are at the crossroads of the subway system. It's easy to get anywhere from here. The train station to/from the airport is an easy two-block walk, weather permitting.

Friendly front-desk staff. Spacious, well-appointed,and quiet rooms. (Always ask for a high floor in the city.) World-class indoor pool and fitness center. My son and I loved it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

963 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Nassau, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2011

I chose this hotel for a last-minute family getaway based on the number of good reviews it received on several different sites, (including this one) and I have to say I wasn't disappointed. It's a beautiful hotel and the service we experienced was excellent. I initially booked a room with two double beds and a rollaway (there are 4 of us, but I was hoping to give my kids separate beds to sleep in). When I arrived I was told the room was too small for a rollaway and I was upgraded to a room with two queens, which provided plenty of sleeping room for everyone. We ended up with a corner room on the 15th floor with an amazing view of the top of city hall. The room was clean and when I called down to housekeeping for extra towels, they arrived within minutes. There was not a lot of noise (having a corner room definitely helped). The hotel seemed to attract convention-goers as well as families and couples--overall, a very nice clientele.

I booked a package for $149/night, which included valet parking (which is an excellent deal, since standard room rates were $159 and valet parking is $45 including tax). It also included an arrival package with a small stuffed bear that my daughter toted around with her the entire weekend. I have to say I did not experience the problems with valet parking that others have reported. We called down for our car about 20 minutes before checking out. We got to the lobby and within a minute or two, our car pulled up.

The hotel is very centrally located and convenient to both the Independence Hall area (a quick subway ride or a 10-15-minute walk) as well as the museum area.

My only negative experience (and this has nothing to do with the hotel, more to do with the area itself) is that while the hotel is in a pretty busy area--you have several other large hotels, the Hard Rock Cafe, The Convention Center, etc.--you don't want to venture too far after dark. Fortunately, there were several dining choices just a block away, including The Down Home Diner (which is attached to Reading Terminal Market), Chile's (which I believe also provides the hotel's room service), The Melting Pot and Maggiano's of Little Italy--a very popular and crowded Italian chain--be prepared to wait. For breakfast you have several choices at the Reading Terminal Market-we ate at a Crepe stand one morning and the Down Home Diner the next. Unfortunately we never got to try the Dutch Eating Place because the entire Amish area is only open from Wed-Sat.

We didn't use the pool area, although my daughter and I checked it out--it was a bit small, but we didn't really have time to use it anyway. I checked out the fitness area, which seemed very well equipped and was actually being used.

Overall, I would say that this hotel is an excellent value for the money and a good choice for anyone staying in Philadelphia.

Clark, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I thought breakfast was included after inquiring on the phone the day of check in. I obviously misunderstood the person at the hotel who spoke with me (he didn't speak proper English and was hard to understand). When we had breakfast the following morning, we were under the impression it was free as there were no signs whatsoever listing prices or charges, nor were we informed of charges by any waitstaff. Beware! You will be billed a hefty fee of $16.95 each for a breakfast that is worth all of $10. I was unaware of the fee until I rec'd a charge on my credit card a few days later. I complained to my credit card co., no help there. Had I known of the high breakfast rate, I would have dined elsewhere. This was my first and last time at this hotel. Next year, I will patronize other hotels where breakfast is included like the Hampton Inn.

• Stayed January 2011
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

I am Marriott rewards silver elite member. Chose Courtyard specifically because they have refrigerators, coffee pots in every room, and less expensive on site restaurant. Traveling with family of 4 including two pre-teens. GREAT location. In walking distance to everything. Also took cabs which were very reasonable and accessible.

Marriott hotel on same block and Residence Inn is next door.

No view. If you're not in front 7 rooms of buidling, there isn't anything but a wall to look at. Front 7 rooms have great view of city hall across street. Courtyard is very tall, but very narrow. Majority of rooms are on the sides.

Very clean and check-in and check-out were ENJOYABLE. No lines or waiting. Had no problem when asked for a late check-out. Left note for maid service for extra towels, garbage bags, and tissues. Complete satisfactory.

Rooms do not have safe's which I was not a fan of. Was not comfortable leaving valuables in room.

Parking is VERY expensive. $46.00 a day. Hotel is on very busy circle and difficult to pull up to valet during check-in time. Must have been short staffed because there was only one valet on a Saturday afternoon during check-in on a holiday weekend. Little frustrating.

Less expensive on site restuarant was supposed to be at the Annex Grille and Lounge which was closed for renovations. Ate in make-shift restaurant in Junipers ballroom. Once again, must have been short staffed because a hotel security guard and hotel manager were waiting tables along with maybe 1 or 2 actual wait staff. Only ate there once for dinner. Service was very slow, food was average but reasonably priced.

Did not use fitness center or pool - no time. Would recommend hotel and would return. Some great suggestions include: National Constitution Center, Franklin Institute (get there when they open), and Academy of Natural Sciences. If you like Japanese, Morimotos (famous Iron Chef) is a MUST!

New York, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

The Courtyard is right next to City Hall - it's in a great location! The rooms were a little small (well small for us b/c we had a pack & play) but for just 2 adults it was perfect! The hotel had a restaurant, fitness center & pool. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean. It is small only 3 feet deep. The fitness center looked large. The staff was incredibly nice - especially at the front desk & the restaurant. The restaurant had much better food than I expected. The fried calamari was delicious!
Overall a great stay and I would definitely stay there again!

Hackensack
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2011

I found the courtyard by Marriott by checking reviews on trip advisor. The courtyard seems to get better reviews than the Marriott. For $139 AAA rate, the location was great, the rooms were clean, the service was great, and I had a beautiful view of City Hall and the center of the city from the 10th floor.
They are under construction for a restaurant, and had rooms set up for breakfast that was like a real restaurant. Buffet station, omelets, waffles which were perfectly fine.
The staff was great, and there were only 4 people working at the front desk, answering the phones and there was no concierge at this hotel. The pool and fitness center was nice, the valet staff and baggage staff was very quick, courteous and knowledgeable as well.
2 blocks away is the Reading Terminal Market, and Trolley stop #5. A very good location

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2011

I really enjoyed this hotel. I was in the city for 5 nights for a conference and found the convention center easily walkable. Though snow storms came and I could have walked through the Marriott next door to avoid the weather, the walk was short and enjoyable. Each member of the hotel staff I came in contact with was pleasant and helpful. I'm a stickler for a clean room and this one was. Maybe ont he small side but enough room for me.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown? Share your experiences!