“Hard pressed to find any fault with this historic hotel” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown

You added Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 N Juniper Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #21 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Calgary, Alberta
“Hard pressed to find any fault with this historic hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

When the "Courtyard" line of Marriott is discussed, basic amenities, average service and a general feeling of cookie cutter, airport-esque accommodations come to mind. At least, that was my sentiment when our admin assistant at work booked a five night stay for me at this facility in October.

I couldn't have been more surprised when I arrived, and all my misconceptions were invalidated right away. The historic and ornate furnishings in the grand lobby were complemented by modern conveniences such as a automated, touch screen "concierge" which was intuitive to use, allowing users to print maps illustrating walking routes to nearby amenities.

Check in was easy, and the staff were neat in appearance, pleasant and accommodating. Having travelled all day, I stopped in at the Nineteen 26 restaurant/bar on-site. This was the first of many visits, insofar as the value is exceptional, the breakfast buffets are hearty (William makes stellar omelets with panache and efficiency), and the ambience is quiet, laid back, yet contemporary. The on-site Starbucks is an added plus for quick breakfasts, or late night beverages.

Exploring the immediate neighborhood revealed that the Courtyard has by far, one of the best, if not the best locations in Center City. The Convention Centre is a block away, there are numerous eateries (Hard Rock Cafe and Chili's) as well as retail shops (Macy's, Banana Republic et. Al) in the vicinity. Numerous historic landmarks including the infamous City Hall and the Reading Terminal Market are also literally across the street and are both worthy of a visit.

The accommodations themselves were average to above average. While the rooms are a little dated (staff mentioned that an update is scheduled starting December), the guest rooms were expansive with 10' ceilings, plush carpets, and a large flat screen TV with many HD channels. The HVAC in then room was older, but quiet, and capable of tailoring the temperature in the room quickly on demand. Water pressure in the shower was mediocre, and the hardware was a little dated and tarnished. Housekeeping's knack in replenishing supplies daily with brand name toiletries made up for these shortcomings. The guest room was generally clean, and freshened up every day, save for a mattress stain (wine?) and the rather sparse linens which didn't fit the mattress properly. This was more of an annoyance than a shortcoming.

I was also surprised to see a security reminder on the interior of the room door, and on more than one occasion, I remarked a uniform security patrol on guest floors. The perception of security while reassuring, had me asking just how safe the downtown core of this large city really is.

In sum, I would not hesitate to recommend this facility, or stay here again during future visits to Philly. The calibre of service is on par with accommodations costing two or three times as much, and the location is by far, one of the best virtues of the Courtyard overall.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
Thank you for staying with us and posting your detailed feedback on tripadvisor. It gives me great pleasure to read such wonderful feedback and I am proud to share your feedback with all our associates. We have just begun a $16 million rooms renovation and we look forward to welcoming you back to experience our wonderful new guestrooms. Thank you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Hebrew first
Decatur, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Spent a long weekend at the Courtyard in advance of the Rock and Roll half marathon. This was not our first stay at the Courtyard; we have come back to Philadelphia most falls for this run. The hotel is comfortable, centrally located in Center City and staffed by very professional staff.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

Stayed here a few nights as part of a local convention. It is very convenient to the convention center. Nice older building, rooms were adequate. Bathroom sink was small. The room we were in was noisy, we could hear running water through the pipes most of the night. Restaurant was pricey with average food, breakfast buffet was $21. Doubt I would stay here again if there were other local rooms.

Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us while attending a convention. I am disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. We hope you will give us another opportunity as your choice of accommodation on your next visit to the Philadelphia area.
Amsterdam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

The impressive building is centrally located, across from the city hall. The reception was warm and welcoming, the receptionist gave us a very nice room overlooking city hall. A quiet spacious room with high ceilings, two excellent beds, lots of pillows and clean linens.

The bathroom has all the facilities that make a modern hotel so comfortable, a good shower and plenty of towels. There was even good coffee from a machine in the room, very nice detail. A refrigerator, a large TV, a small desk, everything to make our stay even more confortable. Good service in general and our room was kept spic and span every day. We loved this hotel, definitely well recommended for a short stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

As a Marriott Platinum Elite traveler I have stayed at the three major Marriott properties in Central Philadelphia (Marriott, Residence Inn, and Courtyard) - all lined up next to each other. Each has its unique value-add and charm. Frankly I like all three. The Marriott has a concierge lounge, Residence Inn has a kitchen with fridge and microwave, but Courtyard has all the tools and resources the professional traveler is seeking. Like the desk. And plenty of outlets for plugging in. Descent high speed internet (useful for the tablet - NEVER for the work laptop). Contemporary electronics (big screen TV), iHome radio with slot for iPhone like devices next to bed, separate thermostats for bedroom and living room, etc. i lie this best of the three frankly. Parking is a drag - and expensive. In house resturant is great (see my dedicated review of "Nineteen29" for details).

Stayed October 2013
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

The hotel was booked for me by my work, and I was very pleased by the classic architecture and great location. This exceeded what I expected for a CYMarriot, which I expect to be more cookie cutter. I feel like hotel staff is generally helpful, and the staff here was no exception. I enjoyed having an actual Starbucks in the building, not just Starbucks coffee served. The room was clean and good sized and the bed was very comfortable. I was on the top floor, however, and there was a fair amount of noise from water running through the pipes during the night. I asked my co-workers who were in different rooms, on different floors, and none of them had any issues with noise.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, October 24, 2013
Thank you for your business and posting your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad to know that you find our hotel exceeded your expectation for a Courtyard by Marriott. Thank you for your feedback on the noise from running water through the pipes. This issue will be addressed by our Engineering staff. Thank you again for staying with us.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

If you like Marriott you will like this place. The place is well kept. The rooms are comfortable and large. High ceilings make the rooms seem bigger.

It is bigger than most Courtyards I have stayed in and the staff reflects it. I needed help and there was a very efficient manager who helped us.

We had a great view.

The parking garage is 1 block away. Next time I will park myself and save 10 bucks a day.

99% of the staff were warm and friendly.

The health club was also above average.

In the past I stayed at the Ritz Carlton. It has a nicer lobby but all in all I will stay here next time i am in Philadelphia

Room Tip: ask for a room facing City Hall. The view is to die for.