“Historical Building - Heart of the City” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown

You added Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 N Juniper Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Hotel packages
Special Offer
Save 15% This Summer!
Ranked #23 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
“Historical Building - Heart of the City”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Overall a very good stay at the Courtyard. Check in and check out process went very smoothly, no issues or problems. This is a very large Courtyard property (largest in the chain so said the desk clerk) and is very conveniently located close to the Phila Convention Center, Center City, Reading Terminal Market and walking distance to many attractions.There are multiple entrances and two separate banks of elevators that serve the hotel, these two items make it easier to navigate than some larger hotels. If your looking for a cookie cutter Courtyard, this isn't your property. The Courtyard is in a 1926 building that was once used by Philadelphia as its City Hall Annex, There is lots of culture and history in this property. Hats off to Marriott for the conversion. My room had a AC problem the first night and it was promptly repair the next morning. The king size bed was very comfortable and the room was very clean and well maintained. There is a Starbucks coffee shop on site. Nice property, keep up the good work!

Room Tip: Higher floor than 10 if a view matters to you...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We appreciate you providing your feedback on your recent visit with us. It gives me great pleasure to read and share your wonderful comments about our hotel with our entire staff. Thank you again and please visit us again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
  • Hebrew first
New orleans
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel September 10 & 11, 2013 and loved it!
I booked two week out through getaroom.com for the best rate.

We walked to all the major tourist sites from this hotel. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. There is a Starbucks in the lobby.

Valet parking is $40/day. I opted to self park for block away for $20/day.

Room Tip: The room has a mini fridge.
Bangor, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

My wife and I were celebrating my birthday in Philadelphia and stayed at the Courtyard. Since our room wasn't ready at check in the offered to store our bags while we toured the city. When we checked in out room and unpacked we found out bags had been opened by someone on the hotel staff who helped themselves to some of our property. The Manager apologized and comped us on a future visit. needless to say we didn't stay there again. NOTE TO ANYONE WHO STAYS THERE, do not let them store the things prior to checking in as they are not trustworthy.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting your feedback. I am sorry that your stay was not all that it could have been. We would welcome speaking with you further on the matter. Please feel free to contact our General Manager, Jim Gratton at 215-832-3048 so that we can work to determine an appropriate resolution to this issue. Thank you again for staying with us.
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

I have stayed at plenty of Courtyards and this one was my least favorite. It probably has to do with the size of the hotel and lack of personal attention. The room was not up to my standards, was not clean, toilet seat, garbage cans, desk area (dusty). I also was not happy with the size of the sink area, only room for one toiletry case (there were 2 of us) and tv remote didn't work. I didn't love the area/neighborhood but depending where you are visiting it might work for you. We paid $15 for parking about 6 blocks away....otherwise it was $48!
The good: The room itself was a good size, the bed was comfortable (soft), pillows were good. I liked that there was a mini fridge in the room. Got this deal 2 weeks before as a pay now/non refundable deal of $119 so the price was good. Check in was quick, we checked out over the phone. We never really waited for the elevator.
Overall I would not stay here again but for a good/cheap deal it might work for you.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments on your recent visit. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. I am embarrassed to read that your room was not clean including the bathroom and desk area. Please accept my sincere apology for a less than satisfactory stay. I am truly sorry the condition of the room was not thoroughly inspected prior to the room being approved for occupancy. I have shared your feedback with our Housekeeping Leadership Team to work on improving the room inspections. Thank you again for your feedback, I do hope that you will return and give us another chance to make it right.
Philadelphia, US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

While the Courtyard Philadelphia is less than a five-minute walk from the Philadelphia Marriott, it offers a quieter atmosphere and incredible views of the city. The Courtyard also has a full-service restaurant where my husband and I enjoyed a very good breakfast buffet during our stay. The staff are not only courteous, but they go out of their way to assist their customers with directions and the quickest access to points of interest.

In addition the building is on the National Register of Historic Places, once being the Annex to City Hall so there is a built-in elegance that is reflected in the interior design. We highly recommend this hotel and look forward to staying here again.

Thank you to everyone who made our stay, though brief, an incredible one!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. We are very happy to read that you had an incredible stay with us. We pride ourselves in providing excellent customer service and great facility so that our guests achieve the most memorable experience. I will share your wonderful feedback with my Leadership Team. Please come back soon.
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

The good news was that this hotel is located in the heart of the city, opposite the City Hall and that I only stayed for one night. As a very regular user of Marriott brand hotels and holding a Gold level status, I have grown to expect certain minimal standards from the brand. Sadly these were not met at this particular hotel. True, I was given a routine upgrade associated with my status, but this was at the back of the hotel. True it was an "executive suite", but all that meant was that it was very spacious; the room furnishings were pretty basic and not particularly comfortable- unusual for Marriotts, where the beds in particular are legendary. The bathroom was tiny and the amenities rather dated: the shower struggled to provide a decent flow and was far from invigorating.

There was no Executive Lounge, where we would normally have free breakfast buffets and evening drinks and snacks; their trade off for guests holding frequent user status? A non-alcoholic beverage free of charge... Really?!?!? Breakfast was not free and very disappointing by normal Marriott standards.

Finally, I settled my bill for one night: $380... However, my debit card statement showed that they had deducted $400 and I have no idea what the extra $20 was for.... I am investigating. I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us, we appreciate your feedback. Thank you for your loyalty to Marriott as our Gold Elite Member. We are happy to inform you that near the end of this month we will undergo a complete rooms redo including the bathrooms. Courtyard Brand hotels do not have Concierge Lounge but we are looking to improve in this area so that we can better serve our loyal Elite Members and guests. Your comment regarding the extra charge, please contact us at 215-832-3073 so that we can assist you determine what the charge was for. Thank you again for your business.
virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed on a Saturday night before the Rock n Roll Half Marathon which is run in the city. Staff was very well informed for the race. Rooms were clean and large for a city hotel! We would not hesitate to stay again.

Room Tip: Valet parking is expensive...however if you plan to stay in the city for a long day after checkout t...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown? Share your experiences!