“Service was outstanding!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown

You added Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 N Juniper Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vermont
“Service was outstanding!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013 via mobile

My husband was staying at the hotel and had to visit the ER in the middle of the night. The staff were extremely accommodating. When I flew in to be with him the next day, the staff sent a complimentary snack to the room and ensured we had everything we needed. The location was near shopping and restaurants and there is a nice Starbucks in the lobby. Lobby is very nice with many spots to sit and people watch. The actual room was average and could use some upgrading, especially the bathrooms. Beds were comfortable.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and we hope that your husband is feeling fine. We are pleased to inform you that starting late October we will be doing a complete rooms redo. We hope that you will return to visit and enjoy a whole new room experience. Thank you again for staying with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (206)
  • Hebrew first
Millsboro, Delaware
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I was traveling alone for a review course for my Family Nurse Practitioner exam. The review course was excellent, but I know I am not reviewing the course here. I wouldn't have stayed at this hotel if it weren't for the review course. I am rating my stay as average. I really thought from the other reviews I would be dazzled by the customer service. I arrived early in the morning on a Friday and had requested ahead of time with the reservations for an early check-in because of being in the review course from 8-5PM. I was told when I got there it didn't matter that I had requested early check in, it was not availalbe. I was o.k. with this, just kept my luggage in the car. It was a little disappointing to have requested it, but wasn't told it was not guaranteed. The room was average. There was dust on the lights in the bathroom and one of the bulbs was out. Again, something I could live with for a few days. During the night the air conditioner began to leak water everywhere. I told the desk in the morning as I had driven four hours to get to the review course and was exhausted. I didn't really want someone coming in the room in the middle of the night. Just wanted to sleep! Someone did come during the day to fix it, but left towels underneath the air conditioner to mop up the water. I again was disappointed with how the room looked with wet towels underneath the air conditioner, but could live with it. I was not told it was fixed or asked if it was fixed to my satisfaction. The one piece of furniture in the room that was better than average was the bed. I did have a restful sleep when I could get to sleep finally. There is a hospital nearby so ambulances were heard throughout the night. The other thing that would happen frequently is the rooms next door would have doors that would slam shut when people went in and out of them. It would awaken me during the night! The view from the window was nice, but not spectacular. I would probably not return as I do not see myself returning to Philadelphia.

Green Features: Would like to see some more explanations of what to put in which trash can. I come from a state that does not have mandatory recycling so I wasn't sure if I was putting the trash in the correct can or not.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback your recent visit. I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not all that it could have been. Please accept our sincere apology for a less than satisfactory stay. The way our front desk staff handled your check in was not acceptable certainly not up to Marriott standard. I am also embarrassed to read that there was dust on the lights in the bathroom and the bulbs were out, and the air conditioner was leaking water. I apologize for our failure in not detecting these issues prior to allowing the room to be occupied. Your comments will be shared with both our housekeeping and engineering departments for their follow up and training. We would welcome speaking with you further on the matter. Please feel free to contact our General Manager, Jim Gratton at 215-832-3048 so that we can work to determine an appropriate resolution to this issue. Thank you again for your feedback.
kirriemuir
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Stayed here for 4 days and hotel very comfortable beds were the best we have slept in. Room had great city view. Close to train station for getting to the airport for approx $8 each. Everything you would need within walking distance . Reading Terminal was something special. Last but not least staff were very helpfull and polite.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are glad to know that you find our beds most comfortable and enjoyed the city view. Please visit us again soon.
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

This was the perfect location for us. Walking distance to the LOVE Park, Reading Terminal Market, Independence hall and great restaurants. Beautiful hotel with very helpful and pleasant staff. Flavored water was available in the lobby anytime and it was refreshingly wonderful.

The rooms were very spacious, clean, bright and enjoyable. I'm pretty picky when it comes to the bedding and the beds were comfortable and were sheet-ed which is a must for cleanliness in my book.

No noisy hallways...no slamming doors. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us. It gives us great pleasure to receive such positive feedback such as yours. We really appreciate your detailed feedback from our beautiful hotel, helpful and pleasant staff, the flavored water in the lobby being refreshingly wonderful to the room that you find enjoyable. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you and please visit us again soon.
New York, New York, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Great facilities, clean, new. No complaints.

Location is fantastic, and again, cost effective for a great weekend get away.

The hotel is a bit older, but most of the day to day has been updated to new fixtures etc.

Right next to bars and reading terminal market which is a huge PLUS.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for staying with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your weekend getaway visit with us. Thank you again, please come back soon.
Oceanside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

The location of the hotel is great, near shopping and plenty to do, 1 block from the reading terminal market. The room was a very nice size!! Larger than I thought it would be for an older building and city hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesapeake Beach, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The hotel is in an historic building in downtown Philadelphia. . The hotel is directly across from City Hall, around the corner from Macy's, an easy walk to Reading Terminal Market and the Convention Center. This location was terrific for our visit. Our room was ready when we arrived even though it was a few hours before check-in. The valet staff were efficient, friendly and kept things moving quickly without being pushy. Very impressive. Our room had a terrific view of City Hall.

We were in Philadelphia to cheer on my sister who was running the Rock 'n Roll half marathon. A lot of folks staying in the hotel were there because of the race. The hotel staff seemed surprised by the event. There were not enough staff at the breakfast area. A lot of folks needed a quick breakfast which should have been expected but the women trying to make coffee and heat bagels for the long line were overwhelmed. After the race the older, slow elevators could not accommodate the number of people wanting to use them. At one point there were about 30 people in line. I felt that a staff member should have come to the area and help facilitate safe use of the elevators. Too many people including hotel staff were forcing themselves into the elevator rather than wait. Seemed unsafe and an easy problem to fix.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of City Hall.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us and we appreciate you providing detailed feedback during your visit. On reading your comment regarding the staff service during breakfast, we should have done a better job in staffing and proper preparation in place. Please accept our sincere apology. We understand how important it is for marathon runners to have time for a good breakfast as well as family and friends able to get grab and go breakfast items so they can be at the start of the race. Your comments and feedback help us know the areas we have to improve to better serve our customers. Thank you again for your feedback, please visit us again soon.

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown? Share your experiences!