“Excellent location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 N Juniper Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #22 of 83 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
CT
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Came here on a family vacation to see the sites of Philadelphia Perfect location in the center of the city. Just 7 blocks from the visitors center, Easy to walk to the theater district. Reading terminal market is just one block away. Parking all over the city is expensive - so the $40 a night valet paring ( no self service option) is a relative bargain - with unlimited in/out rights.

The building is beautiful. The only complaint my kids had was the depth of the pool- only 3 feet. :)

We would definitely stay here again

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking City Hall - nice view

961 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
Austin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

I spent a week here at the end of June attending a technical conference in the Marriott hotel across the street (which was sold out). I was pleasantly surprised by both the hotel and the surrounding area. Was it as perfect as a top notch Japanese hotel in Tokyo? No. However, it was quite good with friendly service, some small surprising strengths and only minor defects.

Strengths
-------------
1) Breakfast - although not cheap, breakfast was very good to excellent compared to similar hotels all over the United States. The fresh fruit was excellent and the cook made my eggs to order and brought them to my table every morning. A selection of newspapers was available as I walked in. The server was very quick with coffee and juice and then shortly thereafter with the check. Excellent execution. Very nice.

2) Historic Building - I like historic buildings and this is one of them. Of course, you have to make some allowances for quirky behavior, but all in all it was nice.

3) Fitness Center - Unusually nice fitness center. Much better than comparable hotels elsewhere in the United States. Top notch equipment and lots of it. Nice views of the city while you work out.

Quirks/Minor Defects
----------------------------
a) Key Cards - the entire hotel is setup with door locks that work off your key card including the elevators...and those readers - every single one of them - are worn out. You have to stand there inserting and reinserting your card 4-5 times before it reads properly every time you get in the elevator, every time you enter the fitness center, every time you enter the laundry room.

b) European Floor Numbering - The elevators are numbered so that "1" is actually the 3rd floor with the first floor being "lobby" and the second floor being "M". I spent the whole week stumbling groggily into the elevator in the morning and accidentally pushing "1"...

c) Internet - Yes, there is "complimentary" wireless internet in your room, but it is provided by iBahn and the free version is speed-hobbled. They want $8.95 for a more reasonable data rate. Also, one day it sort of locked up deciding that I had "already purchased" the free version (for 24 hours) but refusing to actually connect me to the internet. I had to wait until the next day to get connected again.

d) Salt Shakers - The otherwise excellent restaurant is not on top of checking the salt and pepper shakers on the tables. Some tables work. Some don't.

Neutral or Slightly Positive
-----------------------------------
A) Room - I was pretty pleased with my room overall. Very nice bed. Very nice flat screen TV. Spacious. Lots of storage. Only the sink was rather small and cramped.

B) Laundry Room - The laundry room has two commercial washers and two commercial dryers. They cost $2 each and soap is available at the front desk for $1. Total $5 for one load.

The Area
------------
I expected the usual dreary, inner city ghost town and was surprised and delighted at how fun and lively the place is. Walk down 13th street to around Walnut and you are in the middle of a hopping trendy night life area with everything from high-end wine bars to innovative fast food. I particularly enjoyed the Walnut Street Supper Club (Time warp to the Sinatra era and the wait staff all sing. Very good standard Italian food. See: http://www.1227walnut.com/ ) There was also innovative Korean organic food, the world's best meatball sandwich (their claim) Family Mediterranean food, and so on. Insomnia Cookies makes a "Cookiewich" in which they sandwich a scoop of ice cream between two cookies. Fun area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

The location is really good, in the heart of Philadelphia, especially near the Reading market, when we had breakfast twice, miam miam.
Staff is friendly even though we checked in at midnight. Room maid even got a nice bed set up with my daughters plush.
Room is clean, and the hotel is clean in general.
My kids love the pool and hot tub, but more chairs around the pool would be appreciated, also if there are lockers available that would be appreciated.

Linden, Virginia, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I had to transfer from the downtown Marriott to the courtyard, and honestly couldn't be happier. The courtyard is close to the convention center, within walking distance of some really awesome places to eat and drink. Plus, the beds are so comfortable!

• Stayed June 2013
Philadelphia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Overall my business stay was excellent. Breakfast and lunch were outstanding. Service staff were attentive, courteous, pleasant and quick. My double room was spacious and while very clean, was just a tad shabby (bed linens, peeling wallpaper; I'm pretty sure there was mold on the underside of the shower soap dish). Complete control of room temperature (and associated sound level) was well appreciated. Location right near the Reading Terminal Market is awesome! I have to comment that water splashing out of the vessel sinks in the common area women's rest rooms resulted in quite slippery floors.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
New Orleans
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard Marriot in March for business. I misplaced the receipt and called 3 monrths and 2 days later to request it. I was told by the front desk that she could not email a receipt, only fax. She transferred me to another department at that hotel who also told me it was not possible to provide me with a receipt. They gave me a 866 to number to call. I spent ten minutes on hold to be told that they "do not do Courtyard receipts, only Ritz, Marriott etc". She gave me another 800 number. When I called that number, I was told that they could not provide me with the receipt because the hotel does not keep receipts past 3 months (I'm 2 days past this mark). He explained that while they often have business people coming through their hotels, it's just not their policy to keep receipts past three months but that the Ritz keeps them on file for 18 months. Great, thanks. After being told no four times, I called the hotel back. I was transferred to the accounting department and Ms. Norman was kind enough to provide me with an emailed receipt in less than 5 minutes. The whole process took 30 minutes. Bottom line - do not expect customer service to be a walk in the park, unless you speak to the right person by chance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Springfield, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

I waited to write this review to ensure my disappointment would not overshadow my thoughts. The location is good but the facility could be better (specifically the bedrooms). In a word, "old". It really needs to be upgraded/updated for the cost to stay there. The valet parking is awful, just downright terrible for $48 a day (that's $40+ tax). I briefly discussed my concerns, about how long it took for someone to park my vehicle and how long it took to retrieve it, with one of the hotel representatives, parking attendant, as well as the valet manager. What was surprising to me was everyone was aware of the parking issue but nothing appeared to be done about it. I was informed that parking was handled by a private company under contract so apparently their wasn't much they could do. The 100% of the parking fee is placed on the customer even if you're a member. The consolation was free breakfast for one of the three nights we stayed. The front desk service wasn't the best; they were slow even with only four customers in line. Another consolation, a free bottle of water. Bottom-line: Not in my top 10 favorite places to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Thank you for your comments and feedback regarding your recent visit with us. It is our pleasure to inform you that we will be undergoing a $16 Million Rooms Renovation starting in October that will affect all aspects of the guestroom and bathroom and we look forward to having you return and experience our fresh new guestroom product.
Please accept my sincere apology on your experience with the front desk staff and valet parking. I have shared your feedback with both areas' Leadership Team for review. We would welcome discussing the matter directly with you so that we can work to determine an appropriate resolution. We can be reached at (215)-832-3048. Thank you again for your feedback.

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown? Share your experiences!