“Great location, friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown

Save Saved
You added Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown to your Saves list
Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   21 N Juniper Street, Philadelphia, PA 19107 (City Center East)   |
Hotel deals
Special Price
3-Night Stays: Save 15%
Ranked #21 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
GreenLeadersBronze level
Albany, New York
“Great location, friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We just returned from a 2 night stay & would definitely go back. We're a family of 4 & were in Philly for the first time, just to check out the city. Staff was very friendly & helpful, room was clean. Pool is only 3 feet deep so my 11 & 14 yr. olds were a little disappointed in that, but got over it. Location was fantastic - 1 block from Reading Market for cheap but good food; just a few blocks walking distance to historic sites. Tourist & gritty areas are really mixed here - I was surprised at the number of homeless people on the sidewalks. We should have asked for a room on higher floor as we had no view whatsoever - we'll know for next time. Only 1 room complaint - tub had an area of standing water which was discolored so it had been an issue for some time (I forgot to tell staff on checkout - it was room 312. ) Otherwise, great beds, pillows, huge TV, luxurious feel to the place, quiet. Great value for the money. Finally, this is not the hotel's issue, but be aware of a 20% valet tax!! Ouch.

Room Tip: ask for higher floor
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

974 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was at the Rockwell Automatuion Automation Fair in Philadelphia A much better idea than last year the hotel was attached to the conference centre it was great. A very comfortable stay, the hotel is clean good and very agreeable the hotel staff were friendly The positioning is great near almost all important shopping and restaurant places, Easy walking distance to the old city and the city hall.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Rochester, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Stayed for one night while in town on business - excellent location within 10 minutes of center city businesses, great restaurants and major tourist attractions. Food offerings at hotel are scant - appreciate being able to order from nearby Chili's as room service but you are better off staying at the Residence Inn next door and getting the lounge food included at the same room rate. Room was nice with large windows, but found many possessions of prior guest in room so quite clear maid had not serviced room other than changing bed

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

Went during the Army-Navy weekend when the room rates were greatly inflated. Perhaps because I went on the Marriott reservation online site several hours before our check-in and discovered that I could have the same room for $70. less per night than originally booked and asked for the new rate (the online site offers the best guaranteed rate), I might have been given one of the 'get even' rooms I heard about on '60 Minutes'. I had requested a quiet room on a higher floor (this property has 15 flrs.) and away from the elevator.

We were assigned a 3rd fl. and when we found our room, it was across from the elevator. We had a 2 queen bed room - the mattresses were not comfortable - certainly not the deep ones hyped as the 'Marriott bed'.The mattress cover bedsheets were flimsy and during both nights both mattresses lost the fitted sheets.

One of my pillows had nasal stains, the mini-fridge was propped into a cabinet on wooden slats which were rotting. As a result, the mini-fridge loudly vibrated on and off all night. When I opened the fridge door, I had to catch it from falling out. If that wasn't enough to keep me awake at night, the toilet flushing sounds of the room next door did.

The second morning when I showered, there were soft brown 'chips' under my bar soap in the soap dish holder that weren't there before. I dread to think what they were.

Even though we are Marriott Reward members and have been happy at other locations, I would not return here. This was our 18th Army-Navy game attendance, so we have had experience with other hotels and B&B's in this city. I must say that the valet service attendants and the restaurant staff were outstanding - better than the Marriott Downtown hotel staff adjacent to this Courtyard property.

The location is good - across the street from City Hall and Macy's with it's Christmas light show, the Reading Terminal Market and a short walk to St. John's the Evangelist for Sunday Mass. The City Hall subway station is just down at the end of the street for a short ride to Lincoln Financial Stadium. Loew's is also a short walk down the street.

A word to the wise - there have always been disturbed homeless in this area; one recent year, at night, as we passed by one, he stood up quickly to hugely spit all over my coat.

Room Tip: higher floors have less traffic noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel over the weekend while I was working in New Jersey for 2 weeks straight. It was a perfect location central to everything I wanted to do. From the hotel, you can hit a lot of popular places by walking (wear your comfy shoes), including: the liberty bell, independence hall, betsy ross house, love statue, Rocky steps at the art museum, etc. It's also right next to a stop along the "sightseeing" double decker buses that drive all around and show you the sights. You can also hop right on the subway, which I did to attend a Phillies game! The rooms are pretty nice - they tried to keep the history throughout the hotel and it comes together nicely. The staff was also very friendly. My only complaint is that you had to wait a while for the elevators around checkin/checkout time (but very much worth it).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
James G, General Manager at Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for posting your feedback. It gives us great pleasure to read and share your wonderful comments with all our staff. We appreciate your business and look forward to your return.
Richmond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

This hotel has historic charm with modern amenities. Fantastic location across from City Hall, near the LOVE park and within walking distance of Independence Hall. Close to Reading Market and lots of restaurants. Would definitely stay here again. The hotel front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Valet staff was too.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments. We take great pride and are very fortunate to have a team of associates who truly strive to make our guests experience memorable. Please be assured that your positive feedback will be shared with all of our associates. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us as we know there are many hotel options in Philadelphia. We look forward to your next visit soon.
Baltimore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

The location at the very center of the city can't be better. The hotel is solid. The rooms are ok with the normal amenities. Our room, 1115, had a lot of plumbing noise: the running water heard in the pipes through the air vent any time someone in the vicinity took a shower was loud and had to be blocked by earplugs while sleeping. Also, during our stay of three nights in late November there were a lot of noisy, downscale youth hanging out in the hotel and trying to get up the elevators without keys, taking pictures, and generally being rowdy and loud in the common areas that made sitting in the lobby or walking through it, or trying to use the elevators a problem. In order not to have people without keys riding up in the elevators with me (I think they were headed to a party someone had announced, probably over social networking) I had to wait and then walked to the back elevators eventually to get up to my room. The hotel staff should do something about this as it will degrade the reputation of their hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your comments on your recent visit. I am disappointed to read your comments regarding the plumbing noise you experienced during your visit. Hopefully you were able to get some sleep that night and were not overly tired the next day. Please accept my sincere apology. I have shared your feedback with my Engineering Team and we will work on to resolve this issue. We would welcome speaking with you directly on the matter. Please feel free to contact our General Manager, Jim Gratton at 215-832-3040 so that we can work with you to determine an appropriate resolution to the issue.

Been to Courtyard Philadelphia Downtown? Share your experiences!