“The Future Of Hotels” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #56 of 82 hotels in Philadelphia
London & Birmingham UK
“The Future Of Hotels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2009

For the money, location and price we were very impressed with aloft. We wanted somewhere close to the airport (with a shuttle facility) but wasn't going to break the bank. aloft certainly delivered.

The free Shuttle Bus was fairly frequent - about once every half an hour with friendly drivers. It's not that obvious though when you leave the airport. The buses are the Sheraton ones.

The room size was excellent. Spacious with an absolutely huge plasma HD screen - probably the biggest I've ever seen with HD that really impressed me. A brilliant feature was a little box that enabled me to hook my netbook PC up to the big screen, where we watched my Slingbox and a bit of football. You can get the appropriate cables from the front desk for free.

The staff were excellent. This is a very modern hotel, with sleek design (love the fireplace in reception!), very comfy bed and exceptionally clean. The reception area is very well stocked and self-service. You help yourself to reasonably priced muffins or cereal and pay separately.

We did try out the pool, which was great, but the water temperature was too cold for our small baby. A good facility to have though. The bar staff were excellent and the cocktails and beers reasonably priced.

The complimentary toiletries were 'Bliss' branded and my wife was very happy with that. It's a large shower too. Tea & Coffee making facilities in the room are first class.
This was also one of the few hotels where the cot/crib was already in the room and we never had to chase.

As others have mentioned, it's a bit of a trek to get into the centre of Philly. You have to get the shuttle bus back to the airport and then the train into town. Expect a flat $30 taxi rate out to the hotel, which takes about 30 minutes from the centre of town.

I would definitely stay here again and look forward to the 'aloft' brand being rolled out across the world. It's a great concept and definitely the future of hotels. If I were Radisson I'd be seriously worried! This is the best value for money 'chain' hotel I think I've seen for a long time.

One more thing that I want to say. We are very well travelled, but the people of Philadelphia were without doubt the friendliest we've ever met. Whilst on the train, we were actually offered money by fellow passengers. Not because we couldn't afford the fare, but because if we had just a few more dollars, we could have bought a better ticket. We have never experienced this anywhere!

Everyone we met in Philly was a delight. Whilst looking at a map out on the street, we must have been offered help at least twice by passers-by. Even the hobos made us feel welcome! If you are a Philadelphian you should be very proud of your city and its people. You made us feel so welcome. Thank you for making our trip (our baby's first) a great experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family

402 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

As always the Starwood staff and room were great! I loved the bed and the feel of the room. The hotel over-all needed a good cleaning in the common areas. I was willing and able to over look it because the price was right for a hotel bed that I could actually get a good night sleep in. We had an early flight and the shuttle to the airport was quick and easy.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
Tempe, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I missed my flight to Spain and had to find a hotel near the airport so I counted on Trip Advisor to assist. I was very pleasantly surprised at the value and the atmosphere of the Aloft hotel. I got in tired and very late only to find a warm and friendly hotel lobby filled with guests at the bar. I was able to have a glass of wine and a meal right in the lobby.
Next surprise was a modern room where I could plug in all of my electronics. Up in the morning to a wake up call on the flat panel LCD TV and a light breakfast again in the lobby area. All the staff were helpful and now because of this experience, I am looking for other Aloft hotels when I travel. Thanks again to Trip Advisor and Aloft for meeting my needs when I could have been stranded without comfort and meals.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
Montgomery County , Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

Hotel was unbelievably nice considering the Price point .
VERY welcoming lobby with many many amenities incl. Mini Mart , Full Bar , Pool Table . .
The entire hotel had a great smell to it
The colorfull modern simplistic decoarting themes in the hotel where BEAUTIFULL
I would HIGHLY suggest anyone who is looking for a cheapish hotel to TRY ALOFT !

** Try and check out the John Heinz National Wildlife Refuge at Tinicum its about a 10 min. drive from the hotel and all the differnt varieties of birds make this a MUST SEE for nature lovers !

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

My boyfriend and I recently stayed here when going to a Phillies game. The location to the sports complex was great. The staff was incredibly friendly and accomadating. Our room was very nice with a large, comfortable bed and huge flat screen tv. Everything seemed very new and clean. I liked that they had a bar and an "outdoor living" area that you could hang out in. We were there Saturday night and they had a dj and pretty good bar crowd. Everything must be sound-proof because we did not hear any noise when we retired to our room. I have already recommended this hotel to friends that travel in and out of Philly for games.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

Little hesitant of area congestion and our age bracket, however; went for it. Very happy with staff, service, room. Front desk staff helpful, informative and courteous. Already knew no restaurant on site and their “snack kiosk” was minimum and expensive. There is a Dunkin Donuts and some other things about 5 minutes down the main street and the staff provides excellent directions and assistance. The hotel also provides daily thorough cleaning and “free” bottle water in the room.

We were impressed by the price and newness of the rooms. The entire hotel is non-smoking which was an added bonus and there was no past smoking odor noticeable. It would have been very nice if the bathroom vanity area was larger and drawers would have been great for our extended stay. Having two people share the sink was a little cramped. Overall I would recommend this hotel and hope the next time we visit we have the same experience.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Hamilton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

I stayed there for 1 night as I had to travel the next day. Close to the airport if you have to catch an early morning flight. The room was a bit bare but I guess that goes with the "trendy"/retro" theme of the hotel. I had some tiny itchy little red bumps on my legs when I woke up the next morning...so beware of bed bugs. Not sure if they are a pet friendly hotel. If they are, that might also explain the bug problem....
Bed was hard: had a stiff back when I got up in the morning.
I loved the flat screen TV . That was the only highlight of the room.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

Been to aloft Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!