“It's OK” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Clifton, NJ
“It's OK”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2009

We arrived at the hotel and it was a pretty nice place. Very contemporary. Looked like everything was purchased at Ikea, so I was worried that things might break. There is no restaurant at the hotel, hmm. The pool was tiny and crowed. The beds were hard. Pillows were very small. Bar area in the morning was dirty. This place was far from everything. Never again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Seattle
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2009

There's no doubt that the aloft is an interesting concept hotel. Hip, trendy, cool, fun, different, entertaining, and modern. It reminds me of the West Wing at the MGM in Las Vegas, only on a cheaper scale.
This property is an excellent choice unless you are looking for food or a quiet place to sleep. The hotel has no restaurant, but it does have a trendy bar with lounge music. You have to go across the parking lot to the Four Points where you can eat in a space that reminded me of a high school cafeteria with hard plastic chairs, concrete floor and fluorescent lighting. The other choice is the Sheraton Suites which serves a dozen different kinds of burgers and that's about it. Hard plastic (wood grain Formica) chairs and no ambiance describes that restaurant. Even the staff appeared to be embarrassed by the lackluster decor and the limited menu.
The aloft rooms are equipped with single built in air conditioners like you would find at a Motel 6. And they're just as noisy. I had to change rooms because of the noisy a/c - it sounded like a 747 taking off. And yes, I looked out my window which was a stone's throw from a runway and there were no planes taking off. The second room was no better.
Pluses are the free Internet and the HD TV built into the wall. The bed was comfortable, the shower was large and there was hot water, and there were no bugs or rogue hairs in the sheets or bathroom. The staff was very friendly.
Note about the area:
The PHL surrounding area seriously lacks restaurants. The nearby Hilton has one the is reminiscent of a funeral home with a menu right out of 1977. Or you can go a couple miles to a Ruby Tuesday.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Pros-Very Easy To Find and Get to!! VERY Trendy and Unique. Looks like a Hotel of the Future! Lobby was colorful, With things to do, such as Shooting a Game of Pool or Using the very helpful computers to help you along your trip during your stay! The Indoor Swimming Pool was big and not crowded! The added Changing room/Bathroom right in there was very helpful to! The views from our room was great since so close to an airport. The room itself was just what the pictures show, Wonderful, Trendy, Spacious! The bathroom had many added touches and was so big and all mirrored, Very nice! The bedding was unbelievably soft and comfortable, just great quality and what a night sleep we got. We actually decided the next day to skip an activity planned, just to sleep in!!! The best had to be the hotel staff, they were very helpful in knowing about the area, a very welcoming happy greeting, and they even printing us out directions to a couple places to eat! now for the CONS- We stay two nights and on saterday we were sure the maid would come while we were away and they didnt??? My husband called the front desk at 5pm that night when we realized they were'nt coming and the front desk never answered the phone, so my husband had to walk down to the lobby and tell them, we got no maid service that day! And they did say they were sorry about that < but still, nothing ever came about it, so We had to deal with it. Not to much of a big deal,since we lefted that next morning anyway, But still! All and all, I cant wait to find another one of these hotels at our next stay!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Austin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2009

First of all, the place was a mess. The hallways were in serious need of vacuuming (and appeared to be that way for several days). I think they are trying to save money by only employing one person for the front desk and one person for the bar. The materials and finishes in the hotel were meant to give it the look of a W but they were all cheap imitations.

All in all, kind of disappointed. I will say the front desk person was great. Helpful and knowledgeable.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We chose this hotel because it was close to the stadiums and because it was pretty affordable. We made our final decision based on how cool it looked on the website. First off I want to make sure to let everyone know they need to research the location before they go. I made this mistake and just plugged it into the GPS and got lost for 20 mins because it took me the wrong way. As far as the hotel room goes, as soon as I walked in, there was a stain on our floor that looked like a red wine stain. It looked nasty but it didn't bother me enough to make a big deal. The fridge temp was also very low and difficult to adjust. I also have to agree with the other reviews when they mention the "club" downstairs...what was that!? I did, however, like the fact that they had a shampoo and body wash dispensor in the shower instead of dealing with the little bottles. Less waste and you can use more if you have long hair like I do. All in all, I would stay here again if the price was right.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Trenton, NJ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

We loved the way the room looked at this hotel - it was clean and modern. A bit small, but since we were only there for one night it wasn't a big deal.

The main problem we had was the noise. There was a party going on downstairs and we could hear the music, screams, laughter, talking all night long. We did request and receive ear plugs from the front desk, but it really was too much.

Also, when we first arrived the room they first put us in wasn't finished being cleaned. There was a pile of (I'm assuming) dirty linens on the floor and it smelled weird. They moved us right away when I called down to the front desk - the guy at the front desk didn't seem surprised when I explained what happened - but it was still gross.

They also didn't clean the lobby/lounge the next morning after the party. So we had to eat our breakfast sandwiched (from their little food area- egg sandwiches were surprisingly good) off of sticky tables. Gross again.

So, all in all, the room was nice and the price was excellent. But I don't think I'd stay there again. Well, maybe I would if it was again significantly cheaper than other hotels in the area.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Lafayette, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

Despite some of the bad reviews, I booked a three night stay at the aloft in Philly. It is an excellent hotel. It is a very unique concept and will not appeal to everyone, but should appeal to most people in their 20's, 30's, and 40's. The "loud" music that plays in the lobby and elevators is not loud at all. It is not something that you get at most hotels, but the aloft is different. I really enjoyed the wxyz bar and the cozy lounge in the lobby. The room itself was very modern, the two queen beds were extremely comfortable, and the 42-inch tv was great. The shower and bathroom were excellent. The only negative was the lack of an on-site restaurant, but the nearby Sheraton Suites and Four Points both have restaurants. Overall, the aloft is a great place to stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends

Been to aloft Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!