“Convenience ruled” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Nappanee
“Convenience ruled”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

I moved from a delightful stay at a Germantown AirBNB host to the airport as the SEPTA did not start running early enough to get me to the airport in time for my flight and I've had poor experiences when relying on taxi from neighborhoods--not in Philadelphia but other towns. I booked the room direct with the Aloft website and received a reasonable rate with internet connectivity included.

I was happy with the front of house service. both the desk and bar were welcoming and easy in conversation. I was thankful for that as I needed to be treated well at the end of my conference day. So thank you for that. However, the room was not as clean as I might have hoped. It was serviceable. The bed linens were clean but several ink stains were obvious on the carpet as were tell tale imprints on the shower glass wall that connected to the living/sleeping area of the room.

I loved the design of the space, but was unimpressed with the overall attention to full cleaning of the space. The cleaning staff were unaware that I was in the room (I forgot to hang the DND sign out) and kept trying to open my room door.

I did not park, but the cab driver was unable to enter the property or it was unclear that he could and could get back out the gate without surcharge. I ended up volunteering to lug my suitcase, backpack and self over the curbing to the hotel drive. Please clear up signage for parking, carpets in the room, walls / glass in the rooms and ensure that all is maintained to standard.

Room Tip: The room that faced the gatehouse entry were somewhat quiet, but the housekeepers were making a heck...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Kevin K, Manager at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Mandy H,

Thank you for your review. We're glad you had an overall enjoyable stay, but regret to hear your stay was less than exceptional. We will certainly review your comments regarding the housekeeping and parking issues - we really appreciate you taking the time to let us know. This only helps us become even better.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon. Take care!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Fairfax, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Very disappointing. The front desk staff was friendly and helpful but that did not overcome the problems with the hotel. Housekeeping: the hallways were dirty and we ran out of coffee, tea, and toilet paper in our room and had to call the desk to get more. Worst of all, the hotel charged us $13 per day for parking in an open lot in a rural area. We will not go back.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear Business_TravelerFFX,

Thank you for your review. We regret to hear you did not enjoy your stay. I will pass along your comments regarding parking to our operations team to review.

We hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in the Philadelphia area. Take care!
Chesterfield, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014

Always friendly. Very up beat place. The concrete and furnishings are growing in me. I was sick this trip with a cold was able to find a noodle bowl in the pantry to help me thru. Close to two other SPG hotel. Ate dinner at Four Pointes. It was ok. Not note worthy. Next time will try Sheraton for dinner.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear PhoenisSunDog,
Thank you for your positive review and thank you for choosing Aloft Hotels! We're happy to hear you enjoyed our modern, loft-inspired decor and look forward to having you with us again in the future.
Raleigh, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

A very pretty, modern hotel. We were visiting Philly wanted to try one and see what ALofts were like. We would NOT go back to this ALoft.
Arrival - parking, lobby entry, uncomfortable w. people hanging out at entrance. Saw what appeared to be prostitution drop-off/pickup just off property edge in front of hotel. People entered hotel lobby in front of us. Was a very uncomfortable place.
Staff was very friendly but loud music was very annoying in lobby.
Hotel was a pretty design, but cleanliness and maintenance were poor at best. Our room was clean but worn for a hotel only 5 years old. The hall carpets were filthy, full of food, crumbs, papers. Our room - very clear but worn. Bad stains on the couch-thing, towel rack had been pulled out of wall and replaced crooked w/ old holes still in wall, very unprofessional. Looks like someone bounced a basketball on the corduroy carpet wall above the TV, lots of circular wear marks up high.
There are many other hotels in the same area for same price, We definitely would NOT go back to this one and would doubtful stay at any other ALofts.
We were surprised that there is no hot breakfast available, just cold cereal, yogurt, bagels, for a price.
Sad to see a pretty place so trashed.

Room Tip: Far from elevators seemed quieter
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Dear oldman50again,
We're sorry to hear your recent trip to Philadelphia did not meet your expectations. Thank you for your candid feedback, we would like to chat with you personally regarding your recent experience. Please reach out to our General Manager, Casey, at casey.crowley@starwoodhotels.com. We look forward to hearing from you.
Annapolis, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2014

Interesting decor very modern. I am a huge fan of Hotel Impossible so I found myself giving it that type of inspection. The bed was very clean plenty of sheets. Not enough lumpy pillows though Glass shower walls were near falling off, you had to enter and exit carefully and I didn't realize this until I was getting in the shower. The hotel is very quiet during the day. At night upon returning exhausted there is an open bar and loud music in the lobby. Odd. Don't know if I would stay again in that hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Tiffony43,
Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your recent visit to Philadelphia. Aloft Hotels does feature modern decor featuring open spaces and loft-inspired rooms. In the lobby of each hotel guests have the option of mixing and mingling at W XYZ bar. While the atmosphere at W XYZ bar is more vibrant, we can definitely take a look at our volume levels so that all guests are comfortable.
Denver, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014

The following is a synopsis of our recent stay at Aloft Philadelphia.

Upon arrival at the hotel, we were greeted and checked in by Danielle who was super courteous and helpful. When entering the room it was not cleaned. I called down and was immediately moved to another room. So far, so good for this trip although my prior stay was fraught with problems (first room dirty, second room carpet soaked from air conditioner leaking). After returning from our trip Saturday March 1 (around 11:00 pm) to pick up my vehicle, I asked the person at the front desk to get me through the gated lot, as I always do when I stay in Philadelphia. She said just to use the ticket given when I entered initially. To my surprise I was prompted to pay $120.00 for parking which I never had to pay before. I went back to discuss this with this person and was treated with complete disdain, disrespect and complete attitude. I tried to explain I always book my stay to keep my vehicle in their parking lot while away. She continued the attitude, would not give me her name nor did she wear a name tag. When I asked to speak with the manager, she called security. Ultimately I had no choice but to pay the parking fee which I feel was completely unfair since I always stayed at Aloft in Philadelphia for my out of town trips along with my wife who also reserves rooms there as well. When traveling from Philadelphia I will definitely book another hotel who employs people who are customer service oriented and not the poor excuse I encountered that Saturday. My wife and I stay at the Baltimore, MD Aloft and have had absolutely wonderful and positive experiences. Please understand this is a serious matter as far as I'm concerned. In no way should any guest be treated as I was by a front line employee. This person has no business dealing with the public and guests with the condescending attitude shown toward me. This is not the way to treat a Starwood Preferred Guest. Never again.

Room Tip: My tip for a good room; book at another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Paul W,
We're sorry to hear your recent trip to Philadelphia did not meet your expectations and did not receive the level of service we aim to provide for our guests.As long as you reserve our Rest and Jet package, parking is included. We sincerely apologize if there was a miscommunication on the inclusions of the package/rate that you booked at the hotel. If you would like to discuss further, please reach out to our General Manager, Casey, at casey.crowley@starwoodhotels.com. We do hope you give us another chance to host you again.
Chester, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

I was okay with my stay. The room was clean and it was conveniently located. I was not, however, happy about having to pay for parking. If staying at a hotel, I think the parking should be included. Otherwise it was good.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Karen M, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Dear Lorit2759,
We're happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and our convenient location. We thank you for sharing your feedback and look forward to hosting you again the next time you're in the Philadelphia area.

Been to aloft Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!