“Not very special” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #59 of 83 Hotels in Philadelphia
Jacksonville, Florida
“Not very special”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

Way too expensive for what you get. Check in was terrible, the hotels computer system didn't work the whole time I was there. Had to check in by hand and no reciept for when I left. Coffee machine was pumping out luke warm coffee. Internet service didn't work in the room. Shuttle bus to the airport was early to pick up so I missed and had to walk across the street to the adjacent hotel to catch it there. Come on ... you gotta do better than this. Most people staying here are business people and should get a little bit better service. It wasn't inexpensive either.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Michael_Zay, Starwood Hotels at aloft Philadelphia Airport, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear pvbtravels,

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry that you experienced so many challenges during your stay. At your convenience, please contact our General Manager, Chris Hartzell, at 215-220-4607 so we can speak with you personally.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

After my first stay at an aloft, in Chicago last week, I was looking forward to a second at the airport in Philadelphia. Sadly, I was disappointed from the start. The hotel had apparently been struck by lightning the night before my arrival, so the computer system wasn't working, and checkin had to be done manually. That, unfortunately, was the good news. What they didn't explain was that also meant that the hotel's internet and phone weren't working.

On top of all that, the wallpaper in my bathroom was peeling; the shower gel dispenser wouldn't dispense; and there were bits of wet paper, apparently from a previous guest, on the counter in the bathroom.

Of course, on checkout, I couldn't get a copy of my bill.

As a Gold SPG member, I would have expected a bit more explanation and apology for the lack of at least a couple of key services, but I got nothing, other than an annoyed look from the front desk clerk when I complained.

Dear Adman2588,

Thank you for your patience as we navigated a difficult situation at the property. We appreciate your loyalty to Starwood and we hope you will give us another chance in the future. At your convenience, please contact our General Manager, Chris Hartzell, at 215-220-4607 so we can speak with you personally about your stay.
Frederick, Maryland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Service: No wait to check-in or out, friendly and helpful front desk. I had some questions on check-in, but was rushed because of the one other person behind me also trying to check in. When I say rushed, I mean I had about 30 seconds of time to ask my questions and receive the answers. After that, the clerk had moved on to the impatient guy behind me that had moved beside me as I was talking to the clerk. What a rude gentleman! Due to this person I wasn't able to ask any followup questions. Upon check-out, I wasn't able to receive a receipt for my stay since the clerk told me that lightning had struck their server. I wonder how much I ended up paying for my room...hmm :)

Value: Apparently, the city of Philadelphia charges 8.2% sales tax and 7% state tax per room/per night on top of the already inflated room rate. That's over 15% tax to stay at this hotel. What a system and what a city! Parking claimed to be $12 per day, but I paid $0 after the front desk clerk validated my parking ticket. I'm not sure what that's about. Jogging Track? According to the hotel's website they have one. According to the hotel staff, they don't. The indoor pool is small and often crowded. There's also a pool table, but no balls or sticks. Perhaps, they are kept hidden somewhere... hmm.... life's mysteries.

Sleep Quality: The king sized bed and pillows were comfortable, and the room's A/C worked fine. However, doors outside my room were constantly being shut loudly which was disturbing. Where are all these people going at 11, 12 at night? It seemed pretty lively.

Cleanliness: Everything was clean and there were NO foul odors. There were also NO bugs.

Location: This was the main reason I chose to stay at this hotel since it was close to where I needed to be for business. The fact that it's by a large airport doesn't do anything for me other than give me another thing to complain about, noise. There aren't a lot of choices for eating/shopping in the area without having to drive into City Center.

Rooms: I liked the arrangement and decor of the rooms. It's different than any other place I've stayed at. One thing I didn't like was the bathroom sink basin. It wasn't my style and the drain tends to clog too easily. There was a small mini fridge below the bathroom sink which came in handy. There were no liners in the trash receptacles which I also didn't like. There was one single magazine in the room, Details.

Restaurant: What restaurant? They didn't have one. I didn't notice any around the area either. Good luck with your appetite.

Dear NeoWasHere,

Thanks for choosing us for your recent Philadelphia trip. Your detailed feedback is appreciated as we use it to improve our services wherever possible. Our property has a grab and go eatery on the premises where you can enjoy sandwiches, sweet treats and healthy options, along with 24 hour beverages. If you are looking for more of a traditional dining experience, our hotel team can always assist you.
Moorestown New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

I want to steal this front desk person and hire her- she is that good. What a multi tasker... This hotel is fabulous for an early morning flight (what we used it for)... Really fun inside too.

One tiny thing- our door lock was kinda smudged with who knows what - which was not the best first impression. Also the areas above the bed seemed less than clean- but I am feeling llike they are working on this and will hopefully remedy these slight misses (I am trying not to let my imagination go wild on what THAT was above the bed...). Free water in room, a nice empty refrigerator if you bring snacks or breakfast items for that early morning flight, a fun small pool- to let kids burn off energy before bed, decent little fitnss area. Good iron and ironing board, great TV and plu in media center (they have plugs if you forgot to Netflix in your iPad). Oh- and Ben and Jerry's Red Velvet Ice Cream (Danielle's favorite- buy her one for me).

Hotel is terrific- and a great value over the overpriced Marriott Airport Hotel. Plus unless you are in terminal B- the Marriott has a shuttle anyway. You might as well save the bucks. I felt the parking would be a bargain too given the convenience. PS- My large company had a sweet deal- which included a $10 grab and go voucher for food and free parking (and wifi).

Room Tip: Check out the fun end of hallway windows- can have kids watch planes. We had a 2 queen bed room- gr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear MMBINNJ,

Thank you for the great feedback online. We appreciate your kind words and have shared your reviews with our team. We hope to host you again in the future.
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Third time at the Philly Airport Aloft, twice as a couple, most recently with 9-year-old grandson. Great answer for catching early morning flights. Also a good park/fly option. Contemporary styling, very comfortable beds, quiet rooms, wifi and plenty of charging/connecting outlets. Grab and go food at all hours in the deli shop downstairs, restaurant available a short walk away. Airport shuttles every 20 minutes. Everything you need for a short stay, but no closet or drawers for unpacking. Great space to put your open suitcases, however. Pool, fitness, small lobby bar on premises. Professional and friendly staff. Clearly geared for business travel, but also perfect for leisure travelers wanting an economical pre-flight airport stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear xLennaMae,

Thank you for the great review! We are happy to hear that you enjoy our amenities and location and we appreciate your loyalty. We look forward to your fourth stay with us in the future.
Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Due to some travel challenges we stayed here last Friday night - the second time I've stayed here.
Rooms are clean and basic as you'd expect from Aloft.
The woman at reception (she checked us in and was still working yesterday morning at 6AM-ish) was very friendly and helpful.
Highly recommend this hotel when you just want a bed for the night at short notice.

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear Damien2011,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts online. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. The next time you find yourself by PHL, please don't hesitate to stay with us again.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I arrived at the hotel around 3:30 on June 14, 2013. Housekeeping was running behind and no rooms were ready. After a 30 minute wait I was given a room on the first floor. I asked for a room on a higher level but was told none were available. The room was clean but very small. The parking lot and sidewalk were right outside my window, so if you want privacy keep the curtains closed. If you want ice you must take the bucket to the front desk and ask clerk to get it for you. The bed was very comfortable, but I didn't get much sleep because all night long there were doors slamming. Parking is $12 a day so be sure to ask them to validate.

Room Tip: Perhaps a high floor would be quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Dear 200T,

Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay in Philadelphia. We appreciated your patience as we prepared your guest room for check in and we are sorry that we did not exceed your expectations. We still hope to win you over on a future stay.

Been to aloft Philadelphia Airport? Share your experiences!