“Outdoor dining indoors; delectable food” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #167 of 3,780 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Outdoor dining indoors; delectable food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We were supposed to meet family at a brew house at the Firehouse, but when we arrived we were forced to sit outside on concrete in 86 degree sun, with no table umbrellas.

So we drove 3 blocks to Baltimore and 47th in West Philadelphia to this lovely, cool and serene restaurant, with a big free parking lot in back (on 47th). The lovely wood-and-glass buiding was built like a solarioum with huge door-windows that hinged open, floating cool breezes in through tropical plants and natural wood. There were 5 of us plus a guide dog and we were seated in the next room. When I mentioned it was very warm, the host immediatley opened a wide window and soon we felt the same cool breezes.

The food: my brother didn't think he would like Vietnamese food, but love their barbeque bowl with noodles. We all got a giant appetizer lazy-susan with fixings for summer rolls -- chicken,
greens, small grape leaves rolled over meat--all we could wrap in paper-thin "crepes" to make our own summer rolls. My husband as usual, got something hot-spicy. Everybody but me ate
and ate and still brought leftovers home for the next day. Everybody but me--I ate everything on my plate.

Prices: we were being treated, but prices looked good. Many university students there, so I assume it was fair. Food was top quality. Service was friendly, helpful, speedy. I felt like we were in a forest summer house for slow and leisurely evening. (P.S. They have a liquor license.)

I didn't think anyplace could equal our family favorite, Little Saigon in Upper Darby, but this has a whole different feel--like summertime eating outdoors, with screens. We'll go back soon.
The 2 places are different, equally wonderful. Little Saigon is mom and pop, everything cooked to order, a small, quiet well lighted place Vietname Cafe is serene yet bustling,
2 large dining rooms with all the large doors and windows wide open, lots of people yet plenty of space between tables and good soundproofing, so it still felt quiet. Two winners.

• Visited May 2012

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Lovely restaurant in West Philly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

I went to the Vietnam Cafe this past Saturday with my daughter and her fiance. The place is beautiful and clean with a very colorful atmosphere. It was quite crowded but we were seated after a very brief wait. The staff is professional and friendly and at the same time unobtrusive. It was a special occasion for us so we celebrated with cocktails. Both the Lemon Grass martini and Cosmopolitan were excellent. We shared the veggie spring rolls as an appetizer and they were crispy and flavorful. I got the grilled shrimp with broccoli and rice which was very good. My daughter and her fiance are obsessed with their rice vermicelli noodles bowls. The beef was melt-in-your-mouth delicious. We finished our meal by sharing a slice of the lemon cake that was so good. This is a great place to get together with friends and family for a terrific dining experience.

• Visited May 2012
philadelphia
“Great food, terrific value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012 via mobile

From pho to rice bowls to noodles - this place has something for everyone. Even my picky 6 yr old loves it here

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Reliable Good Meal in Nice Ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

I've eaten here many times and highly recommend it. The food is excellent. The service is good. The ambiance is delightful. It's a good choice for dates, friends, colleagues, families or groups. The bathroom is spacious and clean and has a diaper changing table. They serve alcohol.

• Visited January 2012
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Delicious Food, Modern Place, Great Staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I went to the Vietnam Cafe in a group of 4, I tried all our 4 meals and they were all absolutely delicious. The menu offers a lot of choice and there are a good selection of drinks, beers, cocktails, wine etc. The place itself is new and modern with a cool bar area and the staff were friendly and funny guys. Don't miss out on this place! I believe it closes quite early but this is due to the alcohol laws in Philadelphia.

• Visited September 2011