“Not as bad as expected” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Tyee

The Tyee
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Coupeville
The Tyee
405 S Main Street, Coupeville, Whidbey Island, WA   |
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Coupeville
California
“Not as bad as expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

This an old place that is a bit overpriced for what it is, but the bed was comfortable and clean and there was no crazy noise at night - also a good location. Considering that everything else in the Coupeville area are mostly expensive B & B's, this was OK. However, we were with a group and the 2 couples that had room #1 and room #2 were not happy because both of those rooms have definite mildew smells. We had room #4 and someone else had room #5 and #7, and they all seemed to be OK. The restaurant that is part of the motel serves a very hearty, reasonably priced breakfast.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

11 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Lakewood, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

This was a last min. trip, all other hotels there being a little spendy and full. Check in at the bar?? I looked at the web site before making reservations. Decided they would do. Get there get our keys, they are having a new roof put on the restaurant, which went on to 7pm. The TV's didn't work, the staff couldn't fix them, So no way to cover up the racket being made outside.The room smelled musty (no smoke smell thankfully) the carpet was filthy to the point of having to wear socks to walk around. So we leave for a little while, come back the bar is in full swing and NO parking spots left. OH! and I couldn't get my room door open. I had to kick the bottom of the door to get it open. The ONLY reason we didn't leave was because my daughter was graduating her leadership course through NJROTC and I wasn't missing that because a bad hotel. Next time I will plan way in advance and read more reviews.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Duxbury, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The motel is clean and comfortable. The price is right. We came in late and left early the next morning. After spending several nights in hotels and motels for much more, it was a relief to take a break. The walls are thin but the bed is comfy and it is clean. The breakfast was terrific as were the people. Very friendly. We felt very welcomed and at home. We got in late, after the kitchen had closed, so the locals at the lounge helped us out by telling us to go over to Ebey Bowling and get a late night burger. Great advice and lots of fun to spend some time there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Alaska
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

My companion and I needed an affordable place to stay during a recent road trip to Whidbey Island. Coupeville has a number of trendy/spendy B&Bs, but each was either booked or too expensive. The Tyee fit the bill for $69, where we found a clean, bright room with basic amenities. Check in at the bar was easy enough. (The restaurant for breakfast is decent. It's mainly a place for locals.). The location is about a mile or so from the waterfront, where most of the other restaurants and accommodations are located. A grocery store is across the street. No complaints and very good value compared to other places nearby, including those in Oak Harbor.

• Stayed October 2012
Bellingham, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2011

The room was clean and quiet. Not fancy, but comfortable. Rooms are rented through the restaurant and bar, but in a separate building.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
North Vancouver, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

The previous reviewer had it about right - it's not that the place is so bad, it's that it's priced way above its class. I was bicycle-touring and I'm not real picky, but...

Here are a few things you do without at the Tyee: a DEADBOLT (important because the door opens to the parking lot); 3-HOLE SOCKETS (so unable to recharge my netbook - maybe not that important because there is no...WIFI); TELEPHONE (if you can't e-mail, it would be nice to be able to phone home. Or call the desk - oh wait there is no desk - check in at the bar and be careful not to knock over that fella's beer as you shout to be heard); BATHROOM COUNTER (think about it - no place to stash your stuff); BATHTUB (hey, I like a soak after pedaling all day). Not that I would bring my wife to a place like this, but she'd recoil at the scuzzy carpet, lack of amenities, no coffee maker, dingy lighting, etc. As a comparison, the next night I spent fifty bucks (25 dollars less) at the Sundowner in Sequim and got all of the above items.

Anyway, the staff were friendly enough, the restaurant food about average, and I got a good night's sleep. If I had it to do over again, though, I would have overnighted in Oak Harbor or pressed on to Port Townsend.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
BC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2009

From the impression I got on the internet, we were expecting an older quaint little hotel. We stayed there in Sept 09. For $80 a night to stay in an old motel, right next to a pub it was a bit of a surprise. The room was not in very good shape, the carpet was in need of being replaced, there was way too much light coming through the windows, and we got to listen to the pub patrons until it closed. The bed was actually quite comfortable and it did get quiet earlier then I feared but overall the place was just too run down. It was close to the town center and not far from the ferry but the only way I would ever stay there again is if it was $40 a night There is no way it should have been $75

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Tyee? Share your experiences!