“Such potential, yet little care for the customer!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Captain Whidbey Inn

You added The Captain Whidbey Inn to your Saves list
The Captain Whidbey Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2072 West Captain Whidbey Inn Road, Coupeville, Whidbey Island, WA 98239   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coupeville
vancouver
“Such potential, yet little care for the customer!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2008

A rustic and beautiful old lodge on a beautuful bay; however the service and amenities for the price are poor.
When we checked in no one welcomed us or checked to see if all was well in our room.
We soon discovered that the walls in our Lagoon room were very thin and we could hear every word our neighbours uttered.
When we asked about a place for lunch they did not know of any. .
The next morning when we went to breakfast we were met with a big surprise. Cold packaged cereal, apples, white bread, and mass produced muffins, cut in half, along with ordiinary coffee.
The next morning was no better.
When we checked out no one thanked us for coming, or asked if we had a good stay, or invited us back, or even smiled.
Such potential, yet little care for the client!

i

• Liked — potentail
  • Disliked — lack of service and thins walls in the rooms
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Santa Cruz
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2008

If you want a quiet, new room with upgrades, stay in the newer lodge rooms (run about $125/night off season). There are views of a well cared for lawn and small lake by the bay, but if you want an amazing experience in an old historic building that breathes character and beauty, stay in the old Captain Whidbey Inn itself (about $105/night off season but no bookings on Monday and Tuesday off season). The place is amazing. There was an old stone fireplace and comfy sofas in the lobby with views out to a beautiful bay. There is a communal computer for guests to use in this area. The dining room was closed the first night we stayed here (stayed in a newer room because rooms in the old Inn weren't available on that Monday), but open for limited dining on the Saturday when we came back. We didn't eat there (except for the breakfast that comes with the room), so I can't recommend the food, but I loved the Inn itself. Our room was small but very nice and the bed was comfortable. You have to make concessions to stay there. Noise travels easily through the floors and walls, the floors creak, the stairway from the lobby is tiny (although there is a larger stairway from the bar), and the rooms all share two bathrooms - a women's and men's. The women's bathroom was large and clean with two stalls and a separate area with a large shower. I had no problem sharing the women's bathroom as there were only 3 other rooms booked on that Saturday and I hardly ever saw anyone the whole time we were there - although, be warned, I could hear them. Our room was above the bar and it was a bit loud in our room until about 10:30 pm, but there is a TV in the library area and I was happy to hang out there until things quieted down. This was not a romantic get away for us, but more of a fun stay in an architectural jewel. I personally loved it.

• Liked — The architecture and history of the old Inn.
  • Disliked — The way noise traveled through the walls.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Seattle, WA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

My husbands 50th birthday was coming up. I wanted to pay for a whole weekend for several of our friends. The event was to include the hotel and two hosted dinners and a cocktail party. I called and checked out the place. Yes they were available the weekend I was interested in. They said the event coordinator would call me. A week later she hadn't called so I called back. This time I spoke to Kathy the event coordinator. I spent over an hour on the phone with her discussing my event. The stars were aligning. She said she would be back to me in a week with an estimate. 10 days later I called her as I had yet to receive the estimate. She didn't want to have the event because it was only for one night. I corrected her and told her the end would be weekend long. For the hour I spent on the phone with her she hadn't gotten anything right. She said she would be back to me with an estimate in a week. 10 days later I called again as I hadn't received the estimate. This time she had a family emergency. She would get back to me next week. A week later I called the hotel and left a message which she didn't return. I called one more time. No answer. THE CUSTOMER SERVICE THERE IS TERRIBLE. IF THEY DIDN'T WANT TO HOST MY EVENT WHY NOT JUST TELL ME? Don't waste your time. There are other better priced alternatives that don't hassle you.

• Liked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
Charleston, West Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2008

The outside view is wonderful. We checked into the Lagoon which had a funky smell and opened the windows to air it out. The decor was very basic and just functional: I don't even think we had a picture on the wall. We went out to the deck on the main part of the inn to sit and have a drink but found no one behind the bar so helped ourselves to the bottle opener and glasses. A nice appetizer (nuts maybe?!) would've been nice to have with it but there was no one around to even ask. Breakfast was OK: nothing hot except the coffee and that was weak. It seems like the inn is on it's last leg and the innkeepers were not anxious to help. When we complained about the funky smell and asked to be moved into the main bldg. we were told we would be charged for the Lagoon PLUS the room we would be moved into. There were lots of empty rooms in the inn (wonder why?). When asked for the proprietor 's number to register a complaint ,the manager wouldn't give it to us. Would never recommend staying there to anyone.

• Liked — Looks good on the outside
  • Disliked — Disinterested staff: smelly room: overpriced:
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
alaska
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

We just returned from our third visit over two years to this relaxing place on Whidbey Island. From the main lodge, the setting overlooks the water and views of rolling hills and farms with larger Mts in the background. We have stayed in the main lodge, lagoon and private cabins.
It appears that possibly new owners are working hard to update rooms and the grounds, however those visiting need to be ones who can appreciate the character and history this building as many thiings are still quite funky. Given a few years and more TLC this place will only get better.
Our Hot tub needed attention...ours was not up to temp or clean during our stay, so we could not use it.
Loved the Evelyn Crabtree shampoo/conditioer and lotion :)

• Liked — Love the view and charming main lodge. The grounds are very peaceful
  • Disliked — feel the rooms are priced a bit high for the mixture of upgrades alongside worn out furnishings
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2008

If you ever want a secluded stay away from Seattle for a night or two...try this place. Nestled in Penn Cove (famous for their mussels) this location serves as the perfect backdrop for rest and repose. My wife and I opted for the private cabin with its own cedar plank hottub but the Inn offers different choices of accommodations from Frontier style lodging in the main house (shared hallway bathrooms) to a hidden lagoon location that is perfect for extended family get togethers. The grounds are beautifully maintained and their is plenty of outdoor seating to enjoy wonderful views of the cove or just catch a little of the morning rays. Continental breakfast is served each morning and boasts a variety of fruits, cereals, muffins, hard boiled eggs, juice and Captain Whidbey Coffee. We deliberately booked our stay after school was back in session and the weather is just beautiful on Whidbey Island in September. For those of you who love cycling, why not bring the bikes and ride the Tour de Whidbey Bike ride at the end of September? Whether you are looking for some peace and quiet or a late season get together with family or friends--give The Captain Whidbey Inn a chance to exceed your expectations. They do have Internet WIFI available in all the rooms for those who need to keep in touch with the outside world.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — hottub was slightly tepid for our taste
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Inn for one night on the recommedation of my parents who had stayed there a few years prior. The Inn was sold a little over a year ago and this is probably what has caused just a few little issues. Overall the Inn is beautiful and well worth staying at!

Positives:

* Lagoon Suite room 22 - incredible views and a huge room
* The most AMAZING beds every - seriously the most comfortable thing I've slept on in years :)
* The property is really beautiful and soo quiet and relaxing
* The staff trys very hard to be helpful and were all really sweet

Negatives:

* It is an old Inn and the shower is TINY, even in the suite room
* The towels in the bathroom are unacceptable, small and rough - with that great of a bed, they need to invest in some decent bathroom amenities like towels and toiletries.
* The restaurant has been closed since the Inn was sold
* They only had 3 rooms booked when we were there and so they didn't bother to put out the continental breakfast - they just asked us what we wanted from a very SMALL selection. The banana nut muffins were out of a package.
* This Inn used to be known for it's food so they need to do something about this

Overall like I said - it's a beautiful place and worth a look and stay - they just need to focus on what made it so great with the previous owner and the finer details that travelers want.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Captain Whidbey Inn? Share your experiences!