“What an outstanding experience this could be if the management seemed to care about the customers.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Captain Whidbey Inn

Save Saved
You added The Captain Whidbey Inn to your Saves list
The Captain Whidbey Inn
2072 West Captain Whidbey Inn Road, Coupeville, Whidbey Island, WA 98239   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coupeville
Surrey, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

The Inn is situated in a beautiful location on Whidbey Island. The views to the ocean and beyond are gorgeous. We understood that this is an old establishment, and we adjusted our expectations before we arrived. We didn't mind "rustic". Our reservation experience was not good. We were left on hold until I actually shouted into the phone and then we were sent a confirmation e-mail that was not accurate and had to be corrected. We had an ocean front room with a shared bathroom which was fine, but there were no hand towels left to use after you washed up. You had to take a shower towel, or go back to your room with wet hands. On our first night we were on the outside dining deck for dinner. The weather was perfect. The server then came and told the people beside us all the things that weren't available from the menu. The dishes that I would have chosen were on that list. We ended up just having appetizers rather than having one of the limited selections that were left of main courses. At six thirty in the morning we were awakened by a conversation between two people who were either down stairs or in another room. I'm not sure how you correct this problem, but I really was looking forward to being able to sleep in. That night we ate in the dining room. The dressing on my wife's salad was so strong that she couldn't eat it. Her seafood fettucini was okay, but not what you would expect from a good restaurant. There was no attempt to offer a different salad or to offer some form of compensation. On the plus side, my meal was excellent. The lamb was perfect and it is the first time I have ever enjoyed brussel sprouts. The complimentary breakfast was not good. There was only one cereal choice available the first morning and there was only one yogurt left when we arrived which meant the people who followed us did not have that as an option. The green melon was hard and when I cut an apple in half I found it was rotten inside. The person who was looking after the breakfast room was also doing the check out and reservations at the front desk which was two full rooms away. I think she was trying hard, but she needed some support. We had so looked forward to this two night stay, but it certainly wasn't worth the money we paid. As beautiful as the location is, we will not return. With additional staff and better management this could be an ideal place to escape for a few days. I hope the owners do something to make this a better place to spend a holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in the lodge. The cabins might have been a better choice, but we wanted the ocean view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Moorhead, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Deck overlooking the cove nice. the food yuck. our room, horrible. sleepless night and when told of the condition of the sagging be we were told they had complaints before. Well change the matress! also, all of our clothes absorbed the nasty smell of the room. spent some time at laundry instead of vactioning. please update your inn.

• Stayed September 2013
CaptainWhidbeyInn, Public Relations Manager at The Captain Whidbey Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. The feedback we have gotten from guests about our new menus have been overwhelmingly positive. We would love for you to come back and try something else off our ever-changing menu.

The 105-year-old Captain Whidbey Inn takes great care to maintain historic authenticity and allow for a serene experience that harks back to 1907, when it was built. At that time, guests reached the Inn by boat, not auto. They read books in the library, talked and played board games in front of the lobby fireplace, relaxed in the historic tavern and wrote letters while enjoying a warm brandy or glass of port.

That said, we also offer more traditional style rooms overlooking our Lagoon and four water-side cabins that can be rented. We would love the chance to give you a better opinion of our restaurant and your overall experience. Thank you so much for your comments.
Kirkland, WA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

We didn't stay at the inn this time, but dropped in for a special dinner in the dining room. The atmosphere was civilized and quiet, unlike the crowded, noisy restaurants in Coupeville. On the other hand, we were surprised that so many menu items were unavailable (clams, pork, etc.).

I ordered a seafood pasta, as well as the manila clams appetizer. After waiting awhile I was informed that the clams were unavailable (the inn is at the beach), at which time it was suggested I replace it with a chowder. Not realizing that their chowder is very unlike "traditional" clam chowder, I agreed, and asked the waitress for a cup rather than a bowl. I didn't know they don't offer a cup of chowder, only entree size, and that it would be so similar to the seafood pasta which I had ordered. By the time the pasta came I had little interest in it and felt I had wasted my money (about $75 for two).

I felt that the right thing to do under the circumstances would be to offer to substitute the item at no charge, not to up-sell them to a more expensive and redundant item. Ideally, the server could have taken note that my entree and the chowder were very similar, and advised me on finding a better replacement.

I've also expressed my concerns to the inn but have yet to receive a reply.

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

We needed wi-fi since the hotel had no brochures with local information. We could connect from the lobby, but that meant only during the hours it was open. We stayed in a lagoon room, so I guess we traded wi-fi for our own bathroom. Not a bad swap. The room was very quiet, if old, and the bed was comfortable. The continental breakfast was adequate. Coffee was good. I've passed by the CWI for years and always wanted to stay there. I don't think I need to do it again.

Room Tip: Lagoon rooms have a good location and their own bathrooms, but we couldn't use wi-fi there. Nic...
Snohomish, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed over the new year. it is a great place for a couples weekend. The breakfast was ok at best. great view from the room. The only things i was not pleased with was the shared bathrooms and the upper floor creaked. overall a great place to spend the weekend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Atlanta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The welcome sign on the door is merely a painted piece of wood for decoration. The gentleman at the desk did not even look up to acknowledge me when I walked into the door. There were just two steps to be in front of him. He appeared to be inconvenienced by my presence, and when I asked if he had any rooms available, he just said "No." and put his head back into the computer. I couldn't possibly think about giving this place a second chance.

• Stayed August 2013
I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. We have recently brought on new and dynamic staff members with extensive backgrounds in customer service. We would love for you to give us another chance to show you top-notch customer service. Thank you so much for your comments.
Chilliwack, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is our 2nd time at CWI, the last was about 15 years ago when we stayed above the main building with a shared bathroom, had a great time, food and service was excellent. On this trip we stayed in one of the spacious lagoon rooms with our own washroom and no T.V., we understand the age of the buildings but found the creaking floor boards outside our room to be loud and without air conditioning the rooms tend to be somewhat warm unless you leave a window open. For some this is would be a perfect location and accommodation, just not for us. The front staff were excellent and our room was available well before check in time. Now the real disappointment was the bar / lounge, it was happy hour, the setting is awesome, but the non seafood was poorly prepared , presented and expensive, The bar did not have the inventory of beer and wine as per the menu with the poor waitress always saying she was sorry, No doubt the CWI is full of charm and character and off the beaten track that would appeal to some, again just not for us

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Captain Whidbey Inn? Share your experiences!