“Overpriced and underserved” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Captain Whidbey Inn

You added The Captain Whidbey Inn to your Saves list
The Captain Whidbey Inn
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2072 West Captain Whidbey Inn Road, Coupeville, Whidbey Island, WA 98239   |
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Coupeville
Manchester, Wa
“Overpriced and underserved”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Chose to stay here because there was a social there after the Way of Whales workshop in Coupeville. We went to the social at 5:20 PM and ordered 2 glasses of wine at $7.50 each. The Inn had a sign that said Happy Hour was from 4:00-6:00 PM. Waitress said Happy Hour was over and it was 5:20 PM. So we were charged $15.00 vice $10:00. Room was ok but not worth $164.67. Got up in the morning to take a shower and the cheap faucets were stripped and you couldn't turn on the cold water so couldn't take a shower. Breakfast was ok but no comparison to other B & B's we have stayed in at Coupeville. We won't stay there again. Better service, better price elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Coupeville, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

Arrived after dark and checked in to one of the lagoon rooms. Found it to be very inviting and comfortable. The feather bed was a delightful feature, as was the complimentary bottle of wine.
When I woke the next morning and opened the curtains, I was thrilled by the view. I walked around the lagoon and took a few pictures. The continental breakfast was just what I needed.
It being mid-week and off season, it was simple but very nice. Would definitely recommend it for couples!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

depends what you are looking for but itcertainly was great for me after all the work stress just toget away. the cabin has fireplace, the private deck right on the ocean front.bring your own music...very cozy. thefine dinning issteps away to enjoy fresh seafood. i know i will goback again.

Stayed December 2012
Rodeo, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

We spent one Saturday night here recently. Our first tip off should have been that the place wasn't even half full. The room was OK but outdated and way overpriced. View was all right, but that was about it.
When we got there, they were preparing for an afternoon wedding. I asked the front desk, before booking the room if the wedding would affect restaraunt service that night. I was assured that it would not, so we went ahead and booked the room. Well...dinner was awful. The food was lukewarm and rubbery and it appeared as if the entres had been cooked much earlier in the day (for the wedding?) and then inadequately reheated for us. Ordinarily I would have let my server know about the problem, but both of the servers working the room were completely disinterested in their customers and spent most of our meal chatting in the bar where they wouldn't be available. Maybe they were tired out from the wedding, but the service and food were just horrible. As we were exiting the lobby, the 18 year old desk clerk asked us how our meal was, and all my wife and I could bring ouselves to do was grimace and shake our heads.

We will not be staying here again and hope anyone brave enough to do so has a better experience than we did.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Have been coming here on and off for the last 40 years.Beautiful surroundings.Great resturant,great food.Small children would prefer Disneyland.For adults it is the perfect place for peace and solitude,no tv,s,no telephones.There is a free computer for those that have to know what is going on in the world.Paul G.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Mill Creek, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2012

Captain Whidbey has always been a special place for me. I visited many times with my parents through the years .My son and daughter-in-law had their wedding reception there. As a consequence I was horrified to read the reviews after it was sold and under new management.

Not only were there complaints about the food but several strong comments regarding lackluster service and instances of just plain rudeness. Last week my husband and I were on the Island and decided to see for ourselves. Apparently there has been a major turnaround as we had a delicious dinner and the servers were very pleasant and accommodating.

I mentioned to our waitress our hesitation in coming due to the bad reviews and she acknowledged that there had been a significant effort to change the poor image and restore The Whidbey's former excellent reputation.
We left pleased with our dinning experience and very happy that good service and graciousness have been restored. Rosemary Mardesich

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Bothell, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The Captain Whidbey Inn is a beautiful place but it is rustic and it is not run like the average hotel.

My husband and I stayed in one of the cabins, # 33 to be exact. Cabin # 33 is attached to Cabin # 34 and there is a door that can be opened between the two for a large Family. Cabin # 34 is slightly larger and has a small kitchenette. Cabin # 33 is just a sitting room with fireplace, bedroom and full bath. The units sit on a large deck with excellent access to a BBQ and Hot Tub but it does not have as nice a view as the two stand alone Cabins, # 31 and # 32 which sit more forward to the water. I had originally wanted Cabin # 32 but in trying to book online found out that only #33 was left for the weekend I needed. As much as I did love our stay and would not trade having stayed in one of the cabins, I do have to say that I feel Cabin # 33 is somewhat overpriced for what you get in comparison to the other cabins.

My husband and I made dinner reservations for the Inn and there are a few things that have been said here about the restaurant that I will also comment on. When we checked in for our reservations for dinner, we did it with the lady at the desk and she took us into the dinning room and seated us at a nice view table, which we had asked to have when we made the reservation, there was no wait and she was very pleasant. But dinner did have some interesting elements; Yes, they did seem to be out of a lot of menu items...almost more then they had available actually...and yes, the waitress did have trouble finding a wine menu and when she did finally find one...after a loud inquiry and discussion over it in the kitchen...it was a little worse for wear.

So, while these things were not what we would usually expect in a upscale restaurant sporting the kinds of prices we were getting ready to pay for dinner, and while we might have been slightly disapointed in not being able to try or first choice from the menu selection...I do have to say that it did not take long for my husband and I to relax into the simple fact that the Captain Whidbey Inn is a unique place that does not have to cater to my every ideal in order for me to enjoy it. Once we decided to let go of our own expectations and just absorb the unique character and charm of the experience we had one of the most enjoyable evenings of all our dinning experiences.

The waitress was lovely, she was not afraid to chat and tease with us and took the time to give us ample attention, we never felt rushed or like we were a bother dispite the fact that my husband chose to do the wine tour over a 90 min dinner and got more than a little tipsy...lol.

The food was a pleasant surprise...being a foody, I am often disapointed by dull, boring, bland and poorly cooked food...none of these things were the case with our meals. Yes, there was no salt or pepper on the table but this is not unusual for places that serve well prepared and well seasoned food...I have often heard of chefs that prefer their food to be eaten as prepared and forbid salt or pepper on the table...and the food was already perfectly seasoned. My husband did have the Steak Au Poivre and maybe it didn't have a ton of peppercorns but the sauce was beautiful.

The experience was actually what one might expect from a restaraunt that only serves a handful of people per evening...more like dinning at the chefs house or chefs table then an actual restaraunt. The only suggestion I might make is that they go with this idea and do away completely with the paper menu and just use a chalk board for the 2-3 dinner specials they are planning to do each evening. people can't complain about not getting something they didn't know was an option in the first place. :-)

I just suggest that if your the type of person who has ridged service expectations, or expects that your 100.00+ dollars per night are buying you a 4-5 star hotel experience that maybe you should look somewhere else, and leave the unique and rustic atmosphere of the Captain Whidbey Inn to those who can appreciate it for what it is...because it would be a shame if bitter reviews built from arrogant travelers were ever ultimately allowed to extinguish a place this lovely and special.

Room Tip: Be sure to check your towels and robes in the cabins for spider during the peak season at check-in w...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Captain Whidbey Inn? Share your experiences!