“Great meal” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Coupeville
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Serves Alcohol
Description: -Our dining room offers views of Penn Cove -We have outside dining available on our deck overlooking the water -Our menu changes seasonally and often to offer the freshest, local ingredients -We have a limited bar, as well as an excellent wine and beer list -Our open kitchen provides a one of a kind experience for diners
Enid, Oklahoma
“Great meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2015 NEW

We had the restaurant practically to ourselves on the early May evening that we went. We ordered the special which was halibut wrapped in kale and served on a bed of shiitake mushrooms. It was incredible and was only enhanced by the unexpected muse at the beginning of the meal (a tiny butternut squash soup) and palate cleansing melon sorbet with cracked pepper between the appetizer and the main course. Pots de creme was the perfect finish to a perfect dinner. The waitress was very friendly and helpful. The restaurant had a comfortable, casual feel and the view of the cove from our table was perfect.

• Visited May 2015

Langley, Washington
“One of the Best on Whidbey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2015

Went for our first dinner there to help celebrate a friend's birthday. The food and libations were wonderful and the owners gracious and knowledgable. We all enjoyed ourselves and felt very lucky to have such a first class restaurant in our area.

• Visited March 2015
Katy, Texas
“Hand picked nettles make fresh nettle soup”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2015

Talk about commitment to fresh ingredients, they go to the nettle patch and harvest those stinging plants in the morning. When they show up in your soup dish, all is forest green smoothness, with the sting long since banished during preparation. This level of attention is taken with all courses. Penn Cove mussels, best since Venice, Italy says my wife, best ever for me. Palate cleanser icee with hint of dill and salt spot on. All pretense abandoned as I sop up sauces with bread. Beef shoulder, a cross between fillet and flat iron, just wonderful. Menu changes with season, worth a long, long drive to eat here. Priced right for this level of excellence.

Centennial, Colorado, United States
“Impressive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2015

I dine out a lot and consider myself not only a foodie, but also a bit of a food snob. I normally don’t write/post reviews about the restaurants I patronize. However, I had such a surprisingly pleasant experience when passing through Coupeville, Washington, I had to share my experience.

My wife and I had never been to Coupeville before and had no idea where to dine. The Oystercatcher was mentioned in our AAA magazine and was in the list of restaurants at the B&B where we were staying. I asked one of the owners of the B&B what she recommended and she said the Oystercatcher. So off we went.

Since it wasn’t “high” season, I really didn’t know what to expect. The exterior looked a little mundane, but the interior was very inviting with comfortable size tables grouped around the open kitchen. This arrangement also gave many of the patrons a nice view of the village and Penn Cove.

We were warmly greeted and promptly seated at a nice window-side table for two. Shortly thereafter, our waiter introduced himself and asked if we would like anything to drink besides water; we didn’t. After giving us a few minutes to look over the menu, which I am told changes regularly based on what is available from local purveyors, he returned and asked if we had any questions; we did. We queried him about the oyster varieties they were serving that day. He was able to describe the two types (Pacific and Kumamoto) and their taste profiles (sweet vs. briny). We ordered three (3) of each. They were served on the half shell with a balsamic vinaigrette, which I hadn’t had before. I loved it.

Our oysters were followed by an amuse-bouche, which normally are not served except in nicer, chef-owned, restaurants. This one was a radish, topped with a savory butter and fresh herbs. It was a one bite wonder; delicious.

Since we are not volume eaters, we opted for two appetizers and one entrée. For her appetizer, my wife ordered the asparagus salad, which was prepared with mint, lemon pecorino and a sweet onion cream all topped with a poached duck egg. The presentation was beautiful. I could kick myself for forgetting to take a picture. However, as nice as it looked, the taste was even better (we share dishes). Mint can easily overpower a dish, but in this preparation it was very subtle and complimented the combination of flavors.

For my appetizer, I ordered the Penn Cove mussels. I know; not very exciting, but I love mussels and these did not disappoint. They were fresh and the broth was prepared with sautéed roasted onions, garlic, parsley and crème fraiche. It was an excellent complement to the substantial serving of mussels; and something you just wanted to pick up and slurp down when you were done eating the mussels. Fortunately, my wife reminded me of my manners and I reluctantly controlled my urge.

Following our appetizers, we were treated to a salted grapefruit sorbet for a palate cleanser; another nice touch that is normally enjoyed only in finer restaurants. The flavor and texture were just right.

For our entrée, we chose the beef shoulder tender, with bacon jam, garlic puree, grilled asparagus and potato rösti. This is a cut of beef you don’t often see on a menu because it requires some skill to remove from the blade of the shoulder. It is one of the most tender beef muscles. I prefer it to tenderloin because it has a more “beefy” taste. It was prepared a perfect medium rare, with a nicely seasoned, peppery crust. The bacon jam and garlic puree complimented the beef nicely. The asparagus was grilled just right and the rösti provided a nice alternative to many of the conventional starches normally served with beef.

Finally, for dessert, we shared a wonderful apple tart with a scoop of ice cream. There was a nice hint of cheddar, which I can only assume was part of the crust. In any event, it was an excellent end to a delightful repast.

As I’m sure you can tell, in my opinion, this was a perfectly executed meal. When I asked our waiter the name of the chef and where he was trained, he told me the chef’s name was Tyler Hansen and he had not received any formal culinary training; just training in some fine restaurants as well as a lot of self-study. When the chef visited each table to see if we enjoyed our meal (always a class act), I was also surprised to learn that he had purchased the restaurant less than two years ago. I congratulated him on a flawless meal and wished him success, which I have no worries he will have.

If you ever find yourself in Coupeville, Whidbey Island, Washington, I strongly suggest you take a meal at the Oystercatcher. I know I will.

Clinton, Washington
“Easter Brunch at the Oystercatcher”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2015

This was a WONDERFUL meal. Not only does it have a beautiful view, it is small, the food is meticulously prepared. Reservations for special events is a must, but I think they would be a good idea anyway. We started with the oysters broiled with shallots, hazelnuts and bacon. Yum. Too bad there were only 4 since we split it. Should have had an order apiece. I did notice that some folks just went through the appetizer menu one at a time for their meals. I followed with the shrimp and grits. Creamy cheese grits with grilled prawns and a ragu from carmelized onions and roasted peppers with bacon. My husband had the smoked steelhead eggs benedict. Not a true benedict, but he preferred the bernaise sauce as it has less butter. Really good on both dishes. These are not the usual menu however. We have eaten at the Oystercatcher through 3 owners. Each has had a slightly different style. All have had expensive menus so this is a special occasion place for us. I must comment that I do not like parsnips and they do appear frequently on the menu. I am sure I could ask for a substitute and they would accommodate. Enough said. It is a treasure, make a reservation and yes it is a great place for that special occasion.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere