“Surprising excellence in a small town” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Coupeville
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: -Our dining room offers views of Penn Cove -We have outside dining available on our deck overlooking the water -Our menu changes seasonally and often to offer the freshest, local ingredients -We have a limited bar, as well as an excellent wine and beer list -Our open kitchen provides a one of a kind experience for diners
Clinton WA
“Surprising excellence in a small town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2015

I have lived on Whidbey for 6 years and I hadn't heard about this gem. Went there recently and everything we had was cooked to perfection.. My date had the beef and it was fabulous flavor was wonderful. I had the special of scallops, sautéed kale, mushrooms and pasta, excellent preparation. A little spendy but at least the meal was good. Right now best restaurant on Whidbey... looking forward to going back. Service was a tentative a little over zealous but settled down once they figured we weren't in any hurry.

• Visited March 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Langford, Canada
“Excellent fine dining”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2015

What a great meal, interesting cocktail options as well. Service was very good. For our dinner my wife had the beef that was perfectly cooked medium rare. I had the rabbit ragout, which was very good, perfectly seasoned. The menu was varied and we found the portions to be perfect size, actually should have just shared a dessert, the beignet was excellent. The only downside for the meal was disappointing wine. Overall, if you are in Coupeville, make sure you go.

• Visited March 2015
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Yakima,WA
“Good, but overpriced for lunch”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2015

We found this place overpriced, pretentious and small portions...it was very good, what we had just not up to the price. And we'll pay for really great food. We were here for lunch on a weekend. The view was nice from the windows overlooking the bay. The wait staff wasn't at the same quality the place was trying to display and service was spotting. Not sure we'd visit again if in the area.

• Visited February 2015
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“Surprising Find in a Small Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2015

Having visited Coupeville in the past, I was prepared for an average dinner, nothing bad, just nothing exciting. Oystercatcher blew me away. While the menu is somewhat limited, I had a hard time narrowing down my choices. We started with a half dozen oysters with a delightful mignotte. We also had the duo of rillettes with an extra side of pickled vegetables. The creaminess and depth of flavor in the rillettes was enhanced by the astringency of the pickles. Plenty of toast points that were perfectly grilled. By the way, they make their own breads. Fabulous-the oatmeal, molasses was incredible. I had the cassoulet for my entrée, while my husband had the rabbit ragout. There was some debate, but the cassoulet came out on top as our favorite. Loaded with meat, a great light smokiness. The rabbit was good, very moist and deboned...if I hadn't had the cassoulet, I would have been enchanted by the bunny.

Dessert was really not necessary, but after tasting their beignets, I would not have done without. Besides making their own breads, they also make their own ice cream. Is there nothing that these guys can't do?

The wine list was quite decent, with many nicely priced offerings. For those in need of a fancier bottle (and we are wine people), there was a nice reserve list as well.

Not only will we go back to Oystercatcher when we are in Coupeville, we may make a trip to Coupeville JUST to go to Oystercatcher.

• Visited January 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Oak Harbor, Washington
“Fine dining with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2015

The menu is, well, strange. Different types of food you definitely won't find anywhere else. We had a gift certificate, so we decide to try it out. It's a little spendy, so not sure we'd choose it again. The duck I had though was actually pretty fantastic!

Visited May 2014