“Surprising Find in a Small Town” 5 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #3 of 22 Restaurants in Coupeville
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Local cuisine, Outdoor seating, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: -Our dining room offers views of Penn Cove -We have outside dining available on our deck overlooking the water -Our menu changes seasonally and often to offer the freshest, local ingredients -We have a limited bar, as well as an excellent wine and beer list -Our open kitchen provides a one of a kind experience for diners
Seattle, Washington
“Surprising Find in a Small Town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2015 NEW

Having visited Coupeville in the past, I was prepared for an average dinner, nothing bad, just nothing exciting. Oystercatcher blew me away. While the menu is somewhat limited, I had a hard time narrowing down my choices. We started with a half dozen oysters with a delightful mignotte. We also had the duo of rillettes with an extra side of pickled vegetables. The creaminess and depth of flavor in the rillettes was enhanced by the astringency of the pickles. Plenty of toast points that were perfectly grilled. By the way, they make their own breads. Fabulous-the oatmeal, molasses was incredible. I had the cassoulet for my entrée, while my husband had the rabbit ragout. There was some debate, but the cassoulet came out on top as our favorite. Loaded with meat, a great light smokiness. The rabbit was good, very moist and deboned...if I hadn't had the cassoulet, I would have been enchanted by the bunny.

Dessert was really not necessary, but after tasting their beignets, I would not have done without. Besides making their own breads, they also make their own ice cream. Is there nothing that these guys can't do?

The wine list was quite decent, with many nicely priced offerings. For those in need of a fancier bottle (and we are wine people), there was a nice reserve list as well.

Not only will we go back to Oystercatcher when we are in Coupeville, we may make a trip to Coupeville JUST to go to Oystercatcher.

• Visited January 2015
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Oak Harbor, Washington
“Fine dining with a twist”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2015

The menu is, well, strange. Different types of food you definitely won't find anywhere else. We had a gift certificate, so we decide to try it out. It's a little spendy, so not sure we'd choose it again. The duck I had though was actually pretty fantastic!

Visited May 2014
San Francisco, California
“Super Fresh Mussels Caught Outside the Restaurant!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2014

The mussels are raised and harvested literally within a half mile of the restaurant! The best-tasting and freshest mussels I've ever had and prepared exquisitely well - absolutely outstanding! Really friendly wait staff too.

During the meal the waiters brought a few free surprise tastes of other food items including an apple cider sorbet, a duck broth and a couple chocolate confections.

• Visited December 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bellingham, Washington
“New to us, and exciting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

Over Thanksgiving weekend, we took visiting friends to Whidbey Island to enjoy the sun. We found Oystercatcher one block back from the waterside main street. However, the view over Penn Cove was awesome, the menu was most original and interesting, if not inspired, and the service excellent. I can recommend the Cassoulet highly - wonderful flavor. The hamburgers and shellfish were much enjoyed by my partner and visitors. Definitely on our list for next time.

• Visited November 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Best on Whidbey”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2014

We've dined at the Oystercatcher four times this year and each time everything was superb. The service, their cocktails, the food, the wine; everything has been perfect. It ranks among the best meals we have ever had anywhere in the world. Congrats to the owners and staff on this success in their first year in Coupeville. We are lucky to have them here. We look forward to many more enjoyable, top-notch dining experiences next year. The menu changes frequently enough and has something for everyone. Martha offers an excellent knowledge of wine. This place is a gem! (With thanks from Karen Ramey & Don Farber)

• Visited November 2014