“First Coupeville Dinner” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #2 of 24 Restaurants in Coupeville
Cuisines: French, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: -Our dining room offers views of Penn Cove -We have outside dining available on our deck overlooking the water -Our menu changes seasonally and often to offer the freshest, local ingredients -We have a limited bar, as well as an excellent wine and beer list -Our open kitchen provides a one of a kind experience for diners
Coupeville, Washington
“First Coupeville Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We recently moved to Coupeville and decided to try the Oystercatcher since it was highly recommended. They made room for our party of 5 and we had the best experience. The service, view and food were great. After such a great experience we have high expectations for our stay in Coupeville.

Visited July 2013

“Not as expected”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

From the previous reviews, I expected a wonderful experience. What we found was slow service, limited menu and pitiful servings. I ordered "gumbo" (as it was designated on the menu). Because of the quotes, I was willing to forgive that it didn't have a roux and was a watery brown broth. But the two little prawns and a bit of fish made it insulting to a southerner to have it called "gumbo". My husband's salmon special (a $25 entree--so not a small plate) was such a small serving that I ended up giving him half my " gumbo".

Visited September 2013
“Whidbey's Finest”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The food here is tasty, sublime and not to fussy. Joe sources only local ingredients from the Island whenever possible so you will never have the same meal twice. The menu is constantly changing with the season. Local, fresh and delicious food is always on the menu. Jaime makes the best desserts ever so save room.

I am partial to the sweetbreads and find myself asking for two orders. My friend is in live with the pan fried blau oysters also a tasty treat.

The deck is now open for dining and lap blankets are at the ready so there is never a reason not to sit on the deck and have share a bottle of wine and some delightful plates.

• Visited August 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Philadelphia
“Absolutely first rate”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My wife and I had dinner at Oystercatcher on Sunday of Labor Day weekend. This is probably the fourth or fifth time we have eaten here over the past several years. We had spent the day visiting various artists around Whidbey Island on the Studio Art Tour, and we wanted to have a nice relaxing dinner before heading back to Port Townsend on the last ferry. The meal was fabulous. I had the Pacific fried oysters and the Cheesy Vegan Anson Mills Grit Cake with romesco and a sweet corn, Rockwell Bean succotash. (Long name, and I'm not a vegan, but this dish was a knock-out.) My wife had the Berkshire Pork Shoulder sandwich. Some of the plates are small, and some fairly large, so you need some help from the server so you end up with right amount of food. The service was excellent, and I thought the meal was well worth the cost - figure on spending roughly $40 per person. I'm planning to be back in the Northwest in mid-October, and I am trying to come up with an excuse to take the ferry over to Whidbey so I can have dinner here again - Oystercatcher is definitely worth a detour.

• Visited September 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars
Coupeville, Washington
“Wonderful little pearl of a restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

This is a fairly small restaurant one short block up from the main downtown area of Coupeville. It has a small outdoor eating/drinking area overlooking the downtown and the water. It has wonderful ambiance in an unpretentious kind of way. You could pluck this gem from small town Coupeville and plunk it down in Sausalito & it would be receiving critical acclaim from the many restaurant critics. Fresh organic local ingredients were used in unique combinations in menu offerings. The open kitchen allows diners to view the preparation of the food & the kitchen was clean and organized. Our wait staff was well versed in complementary wines and the specifics of each menu item. If I could tweak anything, I would request a slightly wider menu selection - maybe 2 or 3 items for the less adventurous as usually a dinner party has at leas one or two people who prefer less "exotic" fare or menu items that don't have words like "pickled garlic scapes" or "grana" in it. Also, a couple of less complicated wine choices by the glass would be nice. For foodies, though, or anyone looking for a very special dining experience, this is a great place to take visitors to show them that we do have top-notch restaurants on the island that rival any Zagat choice. Most menu items are sold a la carte but the presentation of the dishes lends well to table sharing. This ties with Gordon's as my fave "nice" restaurant on the island (nice being a little more expensive than our usual).

Visited August 2013