“Captain Whidbey Inn” 3 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Coupeville, Washington
“Captain Whidbey Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have long awaited our time for a special occasion at Captain Whidbey. We sat outside on a fairly nice sunny day. The service was not the best, I guess we were expecting to be spoiled. The food was also mediocre and the price for the food was relatively high for the quality. Will be selective if we decide to return.

Visited September 2013

Bothell, Washington
“Quaint atmosphere; overpriced lunch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

We had known of this place for more than twenty years. My mother-in-law has made the inn's "Washington Apple Cake" for the family on many occasions during that time. She was in town recently, so we thought we would try out the restaurant on a day trip. I don't know where to start. The property is beautiful and wonderfully situated. It was a little difficult to ascertain where to enter... The entrance door is not well marked. The inn itself is very quaint, but the tavern, where we were seated, was musty and cold. They apparently turned on the heat for us, but it never warmed up, although we were there for quite some time. We all ordered salads and along with them came a swarm of tiny little gnats, flying around our faces. It was a challenge to eat while dodging these creatures. They subsided when our chowder (finally) arrived, thank goodness. The Washington Apple Cake is no longer on the menu, but that was okay. We declined to stay for dessert anyway; we were more than ready to leave, because of the atmosphere in the tavern and the fear of the gnats' return! The rest of our drive was wonderful, but we won't be returning to the Captain Whidbey Inn. We thought it would be welcoming, but it was definitely not.

Minneapolis
“Delicious food, relaxing atmosphere.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

After a long 3 hour drive, my wife and I were ready to relax. We gave the Captain Whidbey Inn restaurant a try and were delighted with our choice. I had blackened cod which was prepared with perfection and served over a medley of toasted corn and fresh cubed squash. My wife had clam chowder which came infused with salmon and fresh muscles in the shell. Delicious. Fresh bread hot out of the oven was worth waiting for. The presentation was very pleasant. Give it a try.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Cloverdale, Surrey, BC
“uneadible”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We love going to this Inn, 3 years ago, we spent the night and had a fantastic meal. Went back this summer, still enjoyed staying there, but our dinner was awful. Service terrible. My husbands salmon was raw, and my seafood pasta, the pasta was so over cooked it tasted like glue. It wasn't busy, and the 2 waitress kept disappearing. Service slow, and we found them rather crude. We asked what was wrong with the chef and she said she would give him a kick up his ...... A few days later we figured out that maybe there was no chef!! the servers must have been doing the cooking! The Breakfast could do with some updating too, Costco muffins, I don't think so, go to Anacortes and get some scones from the scone lady, and while there, buy the granola from the lady there too!! We got an email from the Inn recently and said they have a new chef, hopefully its true.

• Visited July 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Coupeville, Washington
“New Favorite”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

We've passed the directional signs for this restaurant many times but have never stopped. It is a a few miles north of Coupeville & hidden off the road somewhat & I assumed it was more of a resort (as it offers accommodation) & higher priced. Though it was not "cheap", the prices were reasonable for a nice meal and we thoroughly enjoyed everything about it. We visited here for lunch and luckily, it was warm enough to sit outside on the patio overlooking the wonderful water view. A few degrees cooler & I would have been happy to accept the light blanket the waitress offered & it's the kind of rustic/casual yet elegant restaurant where I would have felt completely comfortable, with a blanket in my lap! The setting was so perfect that we didn't want to go inside, although it was charming in there as well. The service was friendly and casual & we appreciated not being rushed. The lunchtime menu was not the menu noted on their website, so initially we were a little disappointed but that was quickly forgotten. We enjoyed a salad, a wonderful seafood chowder for me and hamburger, cooked to order, with delicious onion rings for my husband. We look forward to returning again to try out their dinner menu and also to enjoy the interior of this 100+ yr old Inn, which oozes of history with timbered walls & ceilings, stone fireplaces & comfortable furnishings.

• Visited September 2013