“We liked this restaurant very much” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 22 Restaurants in Coupeville
Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Dessert
Description: Look for us on the water side of front street, historic yellow building, down the stairs to the water level deck.
Washington State
“We liked this restaurant very much”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

We noticed the sign for this restaurant and headed down the stairs. I wasn't sure what to expect as I was pretty sure I didn't want chili. The chili was a major feature of the menu but we chose the Salmon and Asparagus quiche which came with a beautifully presented and tasty little salad. The quiche was excellent and our friend loved the pulled pork sandwich. The bread and pulled pork were both excellent.

The sunny deck was popular and offered a great view but we preferred to eat inside.The Dining Room was nice and airy, we had a great view of the water from there also. The waitstaff were very pleasant and accommodating and we were pleased to find that they accepted all major credit cards.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Yum. Chili!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Enjoyed lunch on the outside deck. There is also a lovely inside dining room with great views. The chili was excellent. The cornbread is probably the best I've ever had. The cornbread is so moist. It's made in house.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Kirkland, Washington
“I am sad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

Last year, my guy friend and I were walking down the quaint main street in Coupeville and smelled the aroma of baking bread that turned out to be the most wonderful cinnamon rolls. We bought many to bring home and freeze so we could have a "little" taste throughout the next few weeks. I also had an amazing chili while there for lunch and my guy had the quiche. Both were excellent!

My guy friend just recently made reservations to whale watch on the Victoria Clipper with a stop in Coupeville. Since he told me about our upcoming outing, my taste buds have not stopped thinking about those cinnamon rolls. I googled the restaurant to see if I could order some in advance (just to make sure they hadn't run out) and up comes the information that there are new owners and they don't quite have things up to speed yet.

So, I am sad. If anyone knows if any other wonderful cinnamon rolls are availabe in Coupeville, would you please post. Thanks!

Visited May 2012
Bainbridge Island, Washington
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

We ate lunch here based on past reviews not knowing that the ownership had changed. The food was average but the service and the atmosphere was poor. The waitstaff did not seem to understand English very well. The place had tons of flies and felt like a dive bar.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Seattle, Washington
“The worst restaurant I have ever eaten at”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This place doesn't even deserve 1 star. On 3/23/13, I was there with my mom who highly recommended the place based on eating there years ago, as well as my aunt and cousin from out of town. My mom ordered the tomato bisque and grilled cheese sandwich. The tomato bisque was cold. My aunt ordered the salmon quiche which was very fishy tasting. My cousin and I both had the clam chowder - which was good but was thin and watery. I like my clam chowder thick and rich and creamy. It came with a side of toasted olive bread which was stale - the bread tasted like old french bread and the black olives in it were so dehydrated they were like little rubber tires in the bread.

Also, my mom and aunt were served first. My cousin and I waited another 15 minutes before SHE was served, I waited another 10. During that time I kept hearing the microwave door opening and closing leading me to be suspicious that the clam chowder was re-heated with the microwave.

But enough about the food...the place was thick with fruit flies. When the food came to our table, the flies increased, being drawn to the food. I didn't see any plants, so I could only assume that there was a lot of rotting vegetation in the restaurant in the back.

My mom ordered coffee. When it was served I glanced down at the cup and saw bright pink lipstick on the cup. I stopped her from drinking from the cup, took it from her and ran my thumb over the lipstick - mainly because I am aware that lipstick is VERY hard to remove from cups and glassware and I wanted to see if that was the case...the pink lipstick rubbed right off. That meant it was fresh.

I used the restroom on the way out. It was clearly a storage unit for the dirty mop and bucket and things that used to be out in the restaurant. Included was a wonderful framed review in the Seattle Times about the owners legendary chili and epic pie. A photo of the owners was included. The owners were Caucasian, but our server and the voices from the back kitchen were of Asian decent. I wondered if the place were under new management. A quick check on-line and I discovered that yes, 2 months ago the place changed hands.

That's too bad. We went because the reputation preceded itself and we were horribly disappointed to discover otherwise. It won't be long before this place closes down if it continues as it is, but maybe that is the intention.

• Visited March 2013