“Clean and friendly” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 30 hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Ventura, California, USA
“Clean and friendly”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I love this place! The rooms are tidy and have every amenity you need. The place is older but well maintained and the staff is friendly. Breakfast items provided are healthy, which is perfect for a day on the slopes. I will definitely stay here again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Dear local73,

Thank you so much for the kind review. I will be sure to share your great comments with the staff. We all certainly hope you had a memorable trip to Mammoth Lakes and hope to see you at the Shilo Inn again very soon!

176 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Huntington Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

It seems like this facility was put together by handymen. Where ever we looked there were signs of shoddy workmanship and low quality materials being used. The wooden moldings around the elevator door frame were totally misaligned. The bathroom door in our room was so flimsy that somebody was able to poke hole in it. The faucet handle with the Shilo Inn logo was upside down and the warm/cold water reversed. The walls are so poorly insulated that you could hear every toilet flush from other rooms. The room itself was spacious, nicely furnished and cozy. Staff was friendly and courteous. Breakfast was adequate. $125.00 for an offseason room was a bit high. I probably would stay in this motel again. I just wish they would upgrade the quality a notch.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Klausmac,

Thank you for your candid review of our hotel. We do not want our hotel to reflect shoddy workmanship. We will address your concerns to our maintenance department. Thank you for the kind comments regarding our staff. They will be happy to know that their customer service did not go unnoticed. If you could drop a quick e-mail to mammothlakesmanager@shiloinns.com and let us know what room you were in, we could quickly get that faucet handle turned around as well. We look forward to your return to Mammoth Lakes Shilo.

Sydney B.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Went to Mammoth Lakes for the night before we ventured out in the morning to Mono Lake and Bodie. Was a very pleasant stay. A strictly non-smoking hotel. Will get fined $300 if caught smoking. Just fine with me as I don't smoke. Not a 5-star hotel but the stay was pleasant. Courteous staff. Everything seems big at Mammoth (food orders, etc...) There was just some weird smell along the lobby. We requested a king room but when we went to the room it was 2 queens. We called front desk and immediately found us a king by the 2nd floor. At the 3rd floor there was this smell (kind of like a skunk smell) but when we got to the 2nd floor it was the same. It was a fleeting smell just in the mid section but gone as we got closer to the elevator area.

Room Tip: I assume all the rooms are spacious. We had a king room and very comfortable.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Dear Sue L,

Thank you for your comments and we do appreciate the nice things you said about the staff. We do apologize for the mix up on bed type but we are pleased it was resolved quickly. As smells come and go when dealing with a lot of people everyday, we are glad it wasn’t lingering. We try our best to make our hotel as comfortable as possible and sometimes a guest may break the rules and smoke in our non-smoking rooms causing odors we may not like. I hope that helps explain the smells you encountered.

We hope you will return to any one of our great Shilo locations and would love to see you again in Mammoth Lakes.

Sydney B
San Francisco Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Staying at the Shilo Inn on my first visit to Mammoth Lakes 12 years ago served as an important part of my initial experience and impression of Mammoth Lakes (I love the Eastern Sierras). I've leaned towards reserving a room here on some sort of comfort and reliability level while aware of the negative reviews shared. Yes, they still use metal keys rather than keycard readers, yes, the room I stayed in lacked a flatscreen TV and the cable selection isn't much and yes, the continental breakfast offerings may be just on the "okay" side. I always feel secure with the old-fashioned lock, didn't come all the way to Mammoth to watch the tube, and an early morning coffee, OJ and muffin from the lobby start my day just fine especially before the tour bus crowd makes it way down. Admittedly, on my last visit three years ago, some things were in disrepair: plastic tarp over the ceiling in the hot tub/pool area, mold on the shower curtain. This time around, the hot tub was much more inviting with a fully-repaired ceiling and the bathroom looked clean and new. Was happy to see the self-help waffle maker, missing last time, back as part of breakfast. This was my first time on an upper-most floor so didn't miss someone stomping around on the ceiling late at night! If I did have something to pick on, the pillows weren't that great and the mattress cover would slide (after a long day of hiking, though, I don't care). Overall, on this trip, another good experience: still appreciate the big rooms, the small fridge and the wet bar sink, the covered parking lot, the location near the main road and a friendly staff (Note: after sending comments to the corporate office re: my stay, the Shilo manager emailed me with a nice reply the next day.)

Room Tip: A room on the fourth floor affords you possibly a better view and no one stomping on the ceiling lat...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Flipflops99,

Thanks once again for ‘airing’ your view of Shilo Inn Mammoth Lakes. We appreciate constructive criticism and we are working hard on getting all of our rooms updated. And your comment regarding the pillows and mattress pads has been forwarded to our Purchasing department. We hope you understand the steps we are taking to make the needed improvements to make every stay a memorable one. We hope to see you again soon.

Sydney B.
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

I chose this hotel for its "deal" on Expedia, but it wasn't worth the price. It's clean, but really out of date. It feels old, cheap and worn out. Upon my arrival, they were mopping the lobby with toxic-smelling chemicals. There was a big bleach stain on the hall carpet in front of my door. I had a view of an alley and an ugly backside of the building next door. The room was clean. There was no towel rack in the bathroom, only the hole in the wall where the rack should have been. The indoor pool was something out of the 70's and smelled heavily of chlorine. We asked for a wake up call -- and the staff totally forgot about it. When we mentioned it to them, there no apologies. The breakfast was poorly presented, the cheapest food possible, and they didn't have enough seats for all the guests who were crowded in there and trying to eat. They ran out of cereal, and didn't bother to fill the bin. Their coffee had lots of grounds in it. I reserved via Expedia, and didn't have me "in the computer" upon arrival. What a mess.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Dear toddinparis,

We at the Shilo Inn take pride in keeping our hotel clean. We are working hard to upgrade our rooms and all of the things you noted in your comments have been addressed and we appreciate your point of view. The 2nd floor, unfortunately does not have a ‘view’ because of the apartment building to the west side of us. Please accept our apologies regarding your stay. We will be sure all departments share this review so we can do better next time you stay with us. You are welcome to email the hotel with further comments if you would like at mammothlakesmanager@shiloinns.com. We look forward to hearing from you.

New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We had a room with 2 queen beds and lots of space to spread out. The rooms are quite large wtih plenty of table top space to put our bags and other paraphernalia. The decor is of the 50's built-ins, but all in decent condition. Beds were comfortable, and the room clean. We did not have a chance to use the indoor pool, which looked fine. Service was okay. Hot drinks and a very few continental breakfast items offered; selection nothing like the spread found at the chain hotel breakfasts, but nice to have coffee and muffin to at least get one out the door.

It is located on the main street, not far from the highway. Walking distance to some shops and a few restaurants; easy drive, bike or walk up the hill on the main road to more of same and the sights of Mammoth Mountain or the lakes area.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Dear PokeyPaddler,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Shilo Inn in Mammoth Lakes, CA. It is nice to hear our larger rooms are appreciated by our guests. It is one of the features we are guests appreciate the most. We also thank you for acknowledging the cleanliness of the room and the convenience to all that Mammoth Lakes offers. We look forward to your visits in the future at any one of our convenient Shilo Inn locations.

Sydney B
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as our clients picked it. In my opinion there are much better options out there for the price we paid. Pros/Cons

Pros:
-Big rooms
-Good staff

Cons:
-Wifi barely reached my room for cell phones. Needs to be stronger, was okay for the laptop.
-Breakfast was very basic and not appetizing at all. It made McDonald's a viable option for breakfast.
-tv was old school tube tv and small. The selection of channels was poor.
-Beds were okay but not great.
-A lot of noise outside got into my room. I was looking over a breakfast diner and gas bar.
-Water did not taste well and was cloudy for several minutes before settling. No bottle water in the room.

In the end this hotel needs some serious updating. It is not up to the level of all the other hotels I stayed at for business. They still use room keys as a physical key which sums up everything to me.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Shilo I, General Manager at Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear Edward M,

Thank you for your review of the Shilo Inn Suites in Mammoth Lakes, CA. We appreciate the good review for the staff and are happy that you liked the spacious room. Since Mammoth Lakes has only one service provider for internet, we all suffer a little. We are currently updating our rooms to flatscreen tv’s (some are complete, some are not). We would love to have you come back to Mammoth Lakes and we can assign you to one of the rooms with the upgraded amenitites. We are very lucky to have good drinking water out of the tap and am a bit perplexed at the ‘cloudy water’ you mentioned. We will look into the unsatisfactory water supply. We at the hotel wish we could change the ‘view’ from some of the rooms, unfortunately, that’s progress. Please ask for a 4th floor room facing west next time you stay so you will have the scenic view of Mammoth Mountain. Hope to see you soon!

Sydney Brayton

Been to Shilo Inn Suites Mammoth Lakes? Share your experiences!