“Awesome stay!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Long Beach, CA
“Awesome stay!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed here for a late season ski trip. Had a wonderful conversation at check-in with the manager Raj. Extremely friendly and cordial. Was given a room that looked to have been recently renovated -- the room and bathroom were both extremely clean and the bed was very comfortable. Only complaint would be the bathroom fan was a bit loud -- appears that possibly the fan needs to be replaced -- but really was no issue at all.
Breakfast was wonderful as always with make your own waffles, cereals, eggs, muffins, toast, bagels, pastries, yogurt and more.
I still love the underground parking garage so that snow doesn't fall on your vehicle as you sleep. VERY helpful given that Mammoth got several inches of new snow while I was there.
This has GOT to be one of the best -- if not THE best -- stays I have ever had at this or any other Quality Inn.

• Stayed May 2015, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2015

We only stayed at this hotel for 1 night and found that it was ideal for what we needed. We had a HUGE double queen room at the end of the first floor corridor, only done side was that there was some noise for the ice machine but other wise it was a very quiet room. By the time we arrived, which was around 7 in the evening, we didn't have the time to explore the small restaurants and bars that were right next door to the hotel so we just jumped back into the car and went up to the village area which was buzzing.
The free breakfast in the morning was adequate and the free room Wi-fi was also another plus. Car parking below the hotel is a plus especially when there is snow on the ground. The hotel has a hot tub room and swimming pool, both of which we did not use due to limited time.
On the down side there was an unusual smell in the room ??
Also the desk manager thought it was more important to go and have a smoke and talk on his mobile rather than welcome his guest's, the young lady who dealt with us did a good job but she was obviously new as she struggled to get us the room we wanted.
Even though we had a good experience we would possibly not stay again at this hotel and maybe find something a bit nearer to the village.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with family
Raj C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Giuseppe T.,

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time and providing us with your feedback regarding your recent stay. On behalf of the entire team, we are very glad you had a great and positive experience while staying with us. We are glad our team was able to deliver the superior customer service we strive to provide. We hope to see you again soon!
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2015

I have stayed at Quality Inn at Mammoth Lakes a number of times. The hotel is a good value when going skiing solo.

It's reasonably priced and centrally located. It has an underground garage and serves a free breakfast, which is not great, but it saves time from having to grab a bite elsewhere. The staff members are great, the rooms are clean and the hotel has one of the largest hot tubs in town.

However, my last stay at Quality Inn Mammoth Lakes easily qualifies as the worst hotel experience ever.

Day 1

The evening I arrived the propane system failed leaving the facility without heat and hot water. The front desk was inundated with calls and the best they could offer was to suggest that I relight the pilot light myself.

I got on my knees, removed the heater cover and worked on the pilot light in earnest for some twenty minutes. What I didn't know at the time was that the gas supply was simply cut. The maintenance guy finally showed up and kept insisting that it was necessary to replace the heat sensor on the unit.

Perhaps he didn't know the gas pressure was down, but given the fact there was no water and that other guests were complaining too, it was clear this was not an isolated problem but a systemic failure.

Of course, something like this can happen anywhere, right? The problem was that it was one of the coldest nights at Mammoth this entire winter and the outside temperature dropped below 20 F.

The front desk person gave me an extra blanket and I weathered the cold. I have received a partial credit for the trouble that evening.

Day 2

When I returned from skiing the next day the propane system was fixed, but the pilot lights were still out in most if not all rooms. I have witnessed numerous guests who arrived that day, not knowing about the propane woes, complaining about the lack of heat.

I had to literally chase down the overworked maintenance man myself to bring him into my room so he could relight the pilot light with his torch.

The management should have made sure that after the repair all the pilot lights were restarted.

Then the real problem started in room. Around 11:00 pm a very loud bang woke me up. I jumped out of the bed. I assumed the noise came in from the street and fell back asleep.

Perhaps an hour later another metallic bang woke me up. It became clear to me that as the metal parts of the heater were expanding and contracting with the temperature changes, something was popping inside the unit making an awful noise.

After the sixth bang I stopped counting and carried on with what was the worst hotel night ever.

At that point the whole experience was too tiring to go through the trouble of requesting a new room in the middle of the night.

To manager Raj Choksi's credit, he has personally contacted me after I described this trip in the Quality Inn survey. However, when I requested a full refund for the second night of stay Raj has never responded, not even to say that he could not honor the request.

How did I come up with the rating:

Lack of maintenance and lack of propane system redundancy: -1 star
Pilot lights not relighted after major service, lack of staff in crisis situation: -1 star
Defective heater that kept me up all night: -1 star
Manager not following up on my request for credit: -1 star
Staff working hard in midst of a difficult situation: +1 star

• Stayed March 2015, traveled solo
Raj C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, April 20, 2015
We apologize for the several inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us. Your reviews are of great help to our hotel. This review lets us know what we need to improve. We are very sorry we disappointed you during your stay due to the heater and hot water issue which to be honest was not in our hand as it was an malfunction on the part of the utility (gas) provider which happened at 2:00 am and was fixed through the night. Our hope is that next time you are in town you try us again and we hope that we exceed your expectations. We appreciate you taking that time to leave us a review. Thank you!
Santa Clarita, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2015

What I Love about the Quality Inn In Mammoth is it's Location, The Underground Parking Is Awesome during a storm. Aided by the Elevator and Baggage Carts...
The Complimentary Breakfast is Great and the Staff is wonderful...

I particularly want to give Kudos to Ryan at the Front Desk... We have stayed there many times. He's always polite, Courteous and addresses any issues that we've had Immediately!!!

The Jacuzzi is wonderful at the end of the day and is always Neat, Clean and has Ample room...

The only thing that really disappoints is the volume of the evacuation at the commode and the sink Drains... I guess the system needs a good clean out...

I've been skiing Mammoth since I was 10 and I'm in my 50's now. At this price point I don't think you can beat it and I've stayed at almost every place in town.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
Raj C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, March 30, 2015
It is for sure of great pleasure to here that you had a great stay! ! All of our team members are a key to our success and Ryan is one of many! We are glad to hear you enjoy your stay with us and liked our Full Hot Breakfast Buffet & our huge Hot Tub. Here at the Quality Inn Mammoth Lakes, we thrive on customer satisfaction and we definitely met this goal with you. We hope to see you again very soon!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2015

I stayed here in 2012 and the room were decent for the cost. The last stay I had the rooms all were completely redone and had a very upscale feel for the place. I was pleasantly surprised with a gift bag when checking in for being a choice hotel member. We were placed in a room on the first floor near the check in section. The only complaint was that you could hear people talking in the lobby when they were checking in and out. Though we did enjoyed the hot tub after a day of snowboarding, which was at a perfect temperature and slightly opened to the outside for a nice feel. They had a very good spread of free hot breakfast, which included some make your own waffles, eggs, hash-browns, muffins, juices, coffee, and cereal. Overall the experience was great and would return but would prefer a room away from all of the action in the lobby room.

Room Tip: Stay away from the check in lobby on the first floor as you can hear guests checking in and out.
  • Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Raj C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2015
Thank you for returning to our hotel when you are in town! We certainly appreciate you taking the time to write such a thorough review. We are so happy to hear all the great comments and we value your opinion! We hope to see you soon!
Westminster, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2015

I've stayed at the quality inn several times already this winter season, and will continue to come back based on the friendly staff and great value provided at a very fair price. The room is already a great price, and when you throw in the continental breakfast, and free soup on Satruday night, the value just keeps getting better.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Raj C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2015
Thank you so much for your review! You definitely have pointed out our key components of our hotel. Our staff is great! and we are very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, breakfast and our evening reception on weekends! Guest like you and reviews like this let us know we are doing a good job!
Torrance, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2015

Check in was a breeze. The front desk clerk Ryan was very nice and helpful. The rooms are newly remodeled and the underground parking is great. The pizza next door at John's is great! Check out was slow --- no one at the front desk at check out time - 2 other groups in front of me waiting at an empty desk!

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with family
Raj C, General Manager at Quality Inn, responded to this review, March 16, 2015
Thank you so much for your review! Your comments are greatly appreciated. We are very pleased to hear that your stay was comfortable and that you enjoyed our rooms. Also, we want to emphasize how important it is to us that our staff is knowledgeable and friendly. Ryan is definitely a key to our success! We will make sure he knows about your review!

Thank you so much for taking your time and leave us your feedback

Been to Quality Inn? Share your experiences!