“You get what you pay for...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Rodeway Inn dba Wildwood Inn

You added Rodeway Inn dba Wildwood Inn to your Saves list
Rodeway Inn dba Wildwood Inn
1.5 of 5 Hotel   |   3626 Main St. (SR 203), Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546 (Formerly Econo Lodge Wildwood Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Northwood, Ohio
“You get what you pay for...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2008

I arrived at the hotel for check-in around 11:00 pm only to find out that the front desk closes nightly at 10:00 pm. Taped to the office door was an envelope with my name. I removed it and opened it up to find my room key and a sticky note with the room number on it. "Nice," I thought. Apparently, they're a lot more trusting than I am. The room was clean, but some of the light bulbs in the lamp were burnt out & there were nicks on some of the furniture. The bed didn't quite seem right to me, but I'm not sure what was "off" about it.

Once morning hit, I was awakened by a phone call from the front desk around 9:00. They wanted to make sure I found the room ok. That annoyed me for a couple of reasons. First, it woke me up. But, assuming I didn't find the room ok, checking in about it the next morning won't do a lot of good. I suppose on paper, it's a good idea to call the guests and make sure their "check-in process" went smoothly, but come on--in practice...

After I got up, I noticed light red colored stains and what appeared to be cigarette burns in the carpet not to mention some cereal that was under the bed. Outside of my room, it wasn't much better. The hallways are exterior, but there were still cigarette butts littering the ground and the paint job was in serious need of an update.

They advertise a pool and a hot tub, which I was thrilled about given it was August, but the pool was the smallest I have seen. Ever. Anywhere. I'm guessing a maximum of 4-5 adults could comfortably fit in the water at a time. The patio or whatever you want to call the area directly surrounding the pool was also very small, although I did see hotel staff out with a strainer and doing other work on the pool twice each day I was there. Perhaps that explains why the rest of the property doesn't look so hot...

The continental breakfast wasn't anything to write home about--muffins, dough nuts, cereal, milk, OJ, coffee, etc. Still nice to have something before leaving for the morning.

• Liked — The rate was, by far, the best I could find in town.
  • Disliked — That stinkin' wake-up call! Also, the place just felt run down.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
pasadena
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2008

I booked a room here for a midweek skiing getaway. They had by far the best rates available at that time... about 1/2 what other places were charging. After reading some of the virulently negative reviews on this site I was a bit leery, but decided to take a chance anyway. Here's what I found: The motel is indeed a bit worn out. Needs paint and new fixtures inside and out. On the other hand, the room was clean and smelled just fine. (it was a non-smoker) The bed was in good shape. The sheets and towels were perfectly acceptable quality, better than many places I've stayed. The room was well appointed, with a fridge, microwave, safe, coffee maker and TV that all worked. The staff was unfailingly competent and courteous. No surprise charges or last minute price changes as I've experienced in many ski area motels. Also, the location is excellent. There are many motels in the area that charge a major premium for being just a little closer to the ski area. On the whole an good experience. I would stay here again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Needs renovation
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
LA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

WOW. DO NOT STAY AT THIS PLACE. THIS IS THE WORST HOTEL I HAVE EVER BEEN TO! The entire hotel was disgusting and smelled a mixture of dog pee and bad indian curry. The outside and inside rooms were completely worn down and looked like nothing had been done to them in 30 years. There was a girl who checked us in not older than 12 years old and there were 5 middle eastern kids playing x box behind the desk who ignored you and your questions when you walked in. I asked for a manager and there was no adult there, but the next morning a very rude man in a turban came out who said he was the owner and I was scared even to talk to him about my experience because he looked like he was Bin Laden and wanted to hurt me. The towels are paper thin as well as the pillows, and they won't give you extra. The heater was broken and the room was smelly and freezing. I was told by anohter guest they had cockroachs in their room. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Stayed November 2007
jacksonville, Fl.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

Motel is very old and in disrepair.Room smelled horrible and had to buy disinfectant spray. Beds were horrible. Towels were as thin as paper towels. Incredibly overpriced, as is everything in Mammoth.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Somerset
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2007

Ok property if a little tired. Walls are quite thin and the air-con unit disturbed my sleep. I guess I could have asked to change room but I was tired and my partner had no problems sleeping. The staff were very helpful and the complimentry breakfast was nice. Rooms were clean enough and the location of the hotel is very good, an easy walk - even in Winter I guess - to the new lift and bar and restaurant area of Mammoth. I would recommend this hotel only if it represented good value particularly during the ski season.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Noisy air con.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2007

I was perfectly happy with the motel. It was clean and the facilities were adequate. Both the lady and gentleman in charge were friendly and helpful. In the room there was a microwave, a fridge, a coffee percolator, a stand up fan and a hairdrier. The room was a little warm, but if I left the window open it allowed the air to enter. This should not be a problem in winter. Parking may be a problem in the really busy periods, but then again, there may be overflow parking at the garage next door. There were plenty of other places in Mammoth I'm sure that would have been a greater star rating - but I would have had to pay accordingly. Free coffee was available all the time. I spent 4 nights there and I think that $69 per night was excellent value for what I received.

• Liked — Value for money
  • Disliked — Lack of air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
decatur,Tx.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

First impression as you drive in says it all!!!! Poor service,FLAT pillows,no clean towels when requested,not enough parking and will not refund any money even if its an emergency change of plans.Checkout for any reason after 10a.m. and the indian lady will smirk at you as your asking for a refund after 10a.m..But if you tell them of your emergency change of plans before 10a.m., then you'll get your refund.Go figure. Don't stay here,go down the road to Motel 6 ,Holiday Inn,Travellodge,etc.spend the extra money ,it's worth it.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — the double bed that was listed as a queen
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Rodeway Inn dba Wildwood Inn? Share your experiences!