“Perfect.” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Scotland
“Perfect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2008

Couldn't fault it at all. Not only had an lovely room with a wonderful view but also a fabulous meal in the restaurant. Staff were very helpful and the beds were amazingly comfortable. Room service breakfat was great too. Would recommend a stay at the Westin.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Fresno
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

I seen other reviews and this hotel can be pricey. We stayed during the off season and got a buy two nights get one free deal that put this hotel in our budget. We stayed in a deluxe room that had a full kitchen (with dishwasher) and a large bathroom. I felt comfortable, as if I were at home, and the staff were very friendly. The hotel is located in walking distance to the village and the clocktower center. So there are place to eat and hangout nearby.

• Liked — The room was beautiful!
  • Disliked — Our AT&T phone service didn't work at the hotel
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Del Mar, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2008

Oops, my last review got cut off.

The short of it is that we have stayed there a few times in the short duration that it has been opened. We really love it and would buy a unit if THEY HAD 3 BEDROOM UNITS. Since the largest unit is only two bedrooms we are going to stay there until either we find a perfect 3+ bedroom condo/home or until our family outgrows the 2 bedroom unit.

The property is conveniently located across the street from the Village. What is good about that is that during the busy season the Village is very loud and across the street at the Westin it is much quieter. We stayed at the Intrawest Village property across the street and many of our stays the noise was unbearable. Not a problem at the Westin.

We actually haven't skied out of the Westin, but the inconvenience seems to be that there is a large set of stairs that one will need to either decend out in the morning and ascend back in the evening. That is probably a hassle with skis and possible small children in your hands and care.

The rooms are fabulous and comfortable, the lobby is great, I at first didn't get what the motif was, but once I visited Devil's Postpile I then saw that was what they had a model of in the lobby. Very cool. The pool is great and the restaurant is great (especially the happy hour in the bar). Lastly, the Westin Kid's Club is also great. My 4 and 8 year olds LOVE Westin Kid's Club and cry when it is not open.

Overall it is Fabulous! I really wish they has some 3 bedroom units, I would buy one in a minute!

• Liked — Location, newness, luxuory and convenience
  • Disliked — stairs will inconvenience many in the winter.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2008

The Westin is new ,clean and modern with big rooms.The usual excellent Westin beds, European style baths , a small kitchenette and fridge make up a good room package.

But there are still some stupid little mistakes.The air conditioning is powerful and directed straight at the bed head.Instead of curtains the rooms are fitted with shuttered window blinds. We had three rooms. They were stuck in all three.There are only two lifts and during a busy weekend many guests gave up and walked. Good for their heart and blood circulation maybe but bad for a 4 star hotel.The underground parking area is cramped and narrow.It is a brave guest who forsakes the valet and tries to park his 4x4 him or herself.And food spilt on the passage floors was still not cleared up after two days.

The hotel is right in the middle of new Mammoth ( the skiing bit with the trendy boutiques and chi chi restaurants. ) But it is a 10 minute drive away form the old town centre, supermarket etc.

The staff were friendly and helpful

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2008

Ah, when they say they have Heavenly Beds, they mean it. Nothing ruins a trip more than a crappy bed, and the Westin comes through like a shining star with this one! Best bed I've ever slept in.

But before we even hit the room, I was impressed with the beautiful lobby. I read some other review that it was terribly modern and not mountain lodge like at all. Uh, what? It was beautifuly done in wood and there is this amazing replica of Devils Postpile behind the check in area. How clever is that? And the wall of 'candles' was very tastefully done. The furniture was very lodge like with out being ski shack tacky. I liked that the check in area was small podium like stands rather than a cold counter. When our room keys were handed to use the person walked around the podium to hand them to us which I though was nice.

This might sound odd, but the restrooms were by far the cleanest and best smelling ones I've have ever been in to. Their White Tea signature scent really sets the mood for a pleasant visit. They can send someone to do up my bathroom like theirs with no problem.

We got a 1 bedroom suite on the 5th floor with a view of the pool and a partial mountain view. The room was much better than what I had expected. The minute I walked in I was impressed by the full kitchen. All the appliances and dishes you needed and then some. It had a dishwasher, stove, micro, fridge with a killer ice maker, just great! The furniture was really tastefull and the 32 in flat screen in the living room was nice. I enjoyed the artwork on the walls. They were all photos of the surrounding Sierras.

The bedroom was very cozy. We had a king sized bed which was awesome. Another 32 inch flat screen was on the dresser. The bathroom was fine although the sink area was a bit small and it was hard to place our items, but that so wasn't a deal breaker. The tub is deep to soak the sore muscles from skiing or mountain biking. You get some pretty plush robes as well.

The pool area was really nice. There were three adults and two kids altogether and we had a great time at the pool. Its huge and you couldn't possible feel crowded. Same goes for the two sizeable jacuzzis. I loved that there was a gas grill for guests to use. Because we were on our way to Yosemite and had to cancel due to the fire, I just threw on the steaks that we had planned to bbq there. The only issue with the pool area is that we were told that from 4-6:30 was happy hour by the pool and drinks were half price. I had to walk to the lobby, wet and cold to ask the front desk where the bar man was. Someone came 20 minutes later but we were billed full price plus a $4 room service fee and 18% tip! When we checked out though I explained the situation to the front desk and the full charge was removed without question. That is good service in my opinion.

When we crashed out for the night, the kids slept on the queen sized pull out couch which was pretty darn comfy for a pull out. The MIL slept on a roll away twin which was also a Heavenly Bed. Super comfy as well.

The one thing I had to really praise this hotel about may seem insignificant to most, but if you are a mountain vacationer and are bothered by the dry weather, the Westin will bring you a warm mist humidifier. In all the years I've skiied I have never once stayed in a hotel that provided one. It made the difference between sleep and no sleep for me because unless its raining or the spring thaw, Mammoth is really dry.

I do plan on going back in the winter to ski and I will be staying at the Wesin.

• Liked — coziness of teh room
  • Disliked — teh a/c unit wa a bit strong. No way to have in on low with it not blasting air
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
New York City
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2008

First time at this resort. I had requested a high floor to avoid possible noise from the street/valet. Knowing that requests are not always guarunteed I asked both the valet and front desk are you busy tonight. No not at all I was told. Then they say my room number of 204 which ended up being RIGHT above the valet area. I asked do you not have a higher floor available? Was told Oh I am sorry but we have already pre blocked your room for you. What does that mean? Why could they just not change my room. Anyway did not get ANY sleep for 2 nights. The banging of doors and trucks until 2a and starting again around 5a made it difficult to get any sleep whatsoever. The room and location were okay. I complained again but the woman at the front desk gave me one of those frozen stepford smiles and said I'm sorry we are a young hotel. I was like young? You have been open almost 2 yrs! Anyway I wrote on comment card before I left but did not trust it so also complained on Westin website and they are investigating. The hotel was just okay for me but nothing to write home about.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Did not live up to expectations
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
mj1Mammoth, manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, September 24, 2008
Thank you very much for your candid and helpful remarks relative to your recent stay with our hotel. My apologies to you for not receiving the higher floor room you requested. We’ve addressed the issue with our associates and added the process of switching rooms to our training.

We did open the hotel last November, and although we are new it doesn’t excuse the problems you had while staying with us. In your comment card you wrote that you may be visiting the area again in March. I welcome the chance to personally insure that your next visit with us will be above your expectations. Please let me know when you are coming back to stay with us.

Be well,

John Coney
Rooms Division Manager
The Westin Monache Resort, Mammoth
Pacific Palisades
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2008

This was my fourth stay in the last 6 months at the brand new Westin in Mammoth, and it most definitely will not be our last! I’ve been coming up here for over 30+ years, and it is by far the nicest resort in Mammoth. Our first few visits to The Westin were this past winter, for the great powder skiing at Mammoth Mountain and for the easy access to the Village Gondola. However, this time we came for some summer relaxation, to see the sights, do some hiking, play golf at Sierra Star and check out the weekend Blues and Brews festival (which was quick 5 minute walk from the resort!).

But here’s something interesting I learned from this last visit (which may be quite helpful for your next stay too). My wife and I regularly book ahead for a deluxe suite, as it’s the perfect size for a couple or a family of four. Everything was great, just as we would always expect at The Westin. Our room was exquisite, the service was A+, the food was outstanding and the staff was extremely friendly. However, what we have now come to realize is that some of the rooms here have incredible, unobstructed mountain views while many of the rooms don’t. On our first few stays (and by total random luck) our room was consistently located above the entry and parking/check-in area or on the road-side of the resort, with no real “view” except of some pine trees, all the folks checking in/out and the always-busy bellmen. Who really cares, right? We come up to Mammoth to enjoy the outdoors, not the interior walls of the suite…

Well here’s the deal, on our most recent visit we lucked out. We had booked the same deluxe suite again, but by luck of the draw this time our suite was located on the “view” side of the hotel, in suite #533 high up on the 5th floor. Simply put, room #533 is where I will always request my future stays there. Here’s why. The front desk staff and reservation agents most likely cannot recommend a specific room #, as they are well trained to say that all the rooms are equally as good. They surely don’t want anyone feeling that some of the rooms are inferior to others. The views from 533 were incredible! The room looks out over the treetops, right at Mammoth Mountain, the whole Sierra Crest and Crystal Crag! The sunsets were gorgeous when enjoyed from the comfortable and cozy “view nook” seating next to the large windows. On our second day, we actually planned to watch the sunset from there! This is the only one side of the resort with no visible roads passing by, and to boot suite #533 is also unbelievably convenient, only a few doors down from the elevator area, just across the glass corridor of the sky bridge. No long walk here down winding hallways to your room.

Most hotels and resorts I’ve stayed in that boast great views, will always charge a premium to be up on the top, view floors. Not the case here! Bottom, non-view floors are the same price as the upper floor, view units. Simply put, if you don’t ask for a specific room, you will be assigned a suite at random. Do yourself a favor and just ask to reserve room #533. You’ll never be disappointed again, and surely you’ll come back over and over. I know we will!

• Liked — The views.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Westin Monache Resort Mammoth? Share your experiences!