“Mixed views on stay for us.” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sydney, Autralia
“Mixed views on stay for us.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I agree that our room was spacious, clean and very comfortable. Given that I requested a room with a 'scenic view' and what I got overlooked a paved area I felt a little miffed but was willing to overlook that. However then we were forced to dine in the restaurant with a large group of very loud, sexist and crude men on a bucks night. I was so uncomfortable I left my dinner, this behaviour in a restaurant should not have been tolerated by management but instead they encouraged the men by getting them more shots and have a flirtatious young girl wait on them. Awful experience for me my husband stayed to finish his meal and would stay here again. I would not

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Kori B, thank you for the feedback. I apologize you were put in a situation where the F&B team was unable to ensure your satisfaction. We train our managers to be very responsive when events similar to the one you describe occur in any of our outlets. I am sorry the proper response did not occur while you were in Whitebark. I have brought all the managers in F&B together and discussed this exact review and the right response. The Westin Experience is about your wellbeing and departing the property feeling better than when you arrived. I feel very strongly that if you were to return your experience would be extremely positive. I hope to see you back on property, enjoying all the benefits of the Westin Brand!

My Apologies,
Patrick

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Milan
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

The rooms here are wonderful, however you got to be luck to get a room with nice view. My husband and I arrived late Friday night, very tired. The couple checking in prior to us got a Sparkling wine flight, while we didn't get the same treatment. I guess they treat customers in different ways. The next morning I woke up to see that our view was of a paved road. When calling reception to ask if they had a more private room, they told me all rooms are the same. By walking the premises, it was obvious that was not true. To sum up, the rooms are very "resort-like", while staff lacks on attention to customers and their expectations. In the end, I felt I paid for something I didn't get, and so, the experience was expensive.

Room Tip: I stayed at 3rd floor, room 327, and didn't like the view. Pedestrians can look inside your room...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Paola, thank you for taking the time to provide this pertinent feedback, it will be used to provide better service to our guest in the future. The check-in champagne is a welcome gift for our SPG members. At check-in all guests should be offered the opportunity to enroll in our frequent travel program, or if you are already a member your number should be put in the system. I apologize you did not feel the view was not aligned with what you desired. Room 327 is on the 3rd floor overlooking the village complex, the mountains in the background and many additional mountains in the distance. I am not sure I understand your statement about pedestrians looking into your room. The room sits 30 feet above the ground and there are 75 stairs that lead to the street and the village complex below. Nevertheless, the staff should have been more responsive to your request for a change. All of our rooms are similar in design, but they do provide different views. The staff should have moved you immediately into a room that was more to your liking.

Thank you!
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

We decided to stop here on off chance, we was not disappointed, friendly valet, great check in, view over pool, small kitchenette, comfy bed, fireplace, etc. We then made way to bar, happy hour included half price drinks and food....lol. After a few rounds of beer, kobe beef sliders, fries, mac n cheese, we left satisfied that this hotel was the perfect choice, thank you.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Thank you ezzavon! We all appreciate you giving us the opportunity to provide our Westin Mammoth Experience. I am a big fan of the Sliders as well! I hope we see you again the next trip you make to Mammoth. Thank you for your business and this great review.

Auburn, New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Westin Monarch for 3 night in early Oct of this year. Three of stayed in on of the 2 BR condos. The room was quiet and cheerful but we had to call maintenance and housekeeping 6 times for repairs during our stay: the sliding doors off the track , wooden blinds broken, refrigerator wasn't cold/ freezer needed defrosting, part of coffee maker missing, light bulbs out, not enough hangers, etc.
The staff was very nice and service quick, but still...
We will go back , however.

• Stayed October 2013
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
WIlliam R, I want to apologize for your experience. Our staff is well trained and we use the latest problem resolution software to ensure all defects are resolved on the first call. In addition, every guest that calls our Service Express department with a defect or request is expected to receive a follow-up call. We have recently hired a new Front Office Manager and a new Guest Services Manager, both with multiple years of Westin Experience. I believe on your next trip back to Mammoth, our service will meet or exceed your expectations. Thank you for the feedback. I have sent your comments to the proper leaders and will have a follow-up conversation to ensure our SOP's are being followed.

Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

This was the fourth time I have stayed at the Mammoth Westin, thought this is the first time I have stayed there off season. It was great. The staff is excellent and the accommodations are up to Westin expectations.
The only negative - I had expected the one bedroom to be a little bit larger. It is fine for up to two people, but think any more than that would feel a little crowded.
Check out the White Bark restaurant….same excellent service and most excellent food.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for choosing the Westin 4 times, we all really appreciate your support. The non-ski season here is tremendous, with hiking, biking, running, fishing and so many other outdoor activities. Mammoth Mountain was just rated the #1 mountain bike park by outdoor magazine. OUr new Executive Chef appreciates the Whitebark recommendation! Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review; we anxiously anticipate your return, #5.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We stayed here over Thanksgiving, and were so happy when snow started to fall as we were about a mile away from the resort. I think our room was called a mini-suite. It had a large, king-sized bed, a couch and coffee table, fireplace, large window seat, an armchair, kitchenette, and spacious bathroom. The room was clean, nice and cozy, but with plenty of room for two people. It featured the Westin heavenly bed/bedding, and the signature white citrus/green tea scented toiletries.

The resort itself was beautiful. We had breakfast each day at the White Bar Restaurant in the hotel. I think we had breakfast coupons by virtue of the room we booked. Regardless, the staff was nice, and the food was good. The view from the restaurant is very nice, too.

The resort has a heated pool and two hot tubs. We enjoyed the hot tub, and the towels and robes provided down at the pool area.

The resort is located right at the village, so it was easy to walk over and shop and eat.

The resort has a shuttle which will take you in to town to shop/eat, etc. We took advantage of that, and it was really cool so that we didn't have to drive after dining/drinking in town. There is also a free bus that comes right outside the resort and you can take that up to the main ski resort.

The staff was very friendly and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Patrick D, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Thank You Smaim, I am happy to read you enjoyed your stay. We are coming upon another Thanksgiving; hopefully you have made your plans to return. There is so much to do in Mammoth and it would seem like you had an active trip. Thank you for your business and we hope to see you back soon!

Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

At the base of the Village Gondola, this the Westin is the only true resort hotel in Mammoth that is convenient to the Village and the Mountain.

The staff is superb. The on-premise restaurant is top notch and we all noticed the hotel GM had a close eye on the guests' experience.

If you have never been to Mammoth, this is for sure the best place to stay as you go out and explore what, wind permitting, is the best mountain in the US (don't worry, Whistler, I didn't say in North America :)).

We have stayed at this hotel for the last four seasons and the experience has never been short of excellent.

Room Tip: No need for a the upgraded room. The basic rooms all include a mini kitchen and a pull out bed for a...
Green Features: They, like all Westin Hotels, have a very well established program to save water and energy. I
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you D in DC! You are a great ambassador for the Mammoth region and this hotel. I thank you for your continued support and we look forward to your return in 2014. By the way we have the best sushi in Mammoth at Whitebark! Thank you again for your business!

Patrick

Been to Westin Monache Resort Mammoth? Share your experiences!