“Beautiful resort in a great location” 4 of 5 stars

Book Early and Save
Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersSilver level
California
“Beautiful resort in a great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed here over Father's Day weekend so my husband could go mountain biking with our kids. The resort (and Mammoth itself) was very quiet as they are not into the heart of summer as of yet. The resort is beautiful and in close proximity to restaurants and the shuttle to go mountain biking (the gondola was not operating the weekend we were there so the shuttle drove mountain bikers up the hill). We had a one bedroom suite with lots of space and a nice view of the mountains.

Room Tip: High floor overlooking the pool (as others have said)
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

This is Sunny the Dog folks. My master asked me to write this review based on my experiences. First of all, this hotel is pet friendly! By that I am sure that they really mean dogs, because I didn't see any cats. There is a treat bowl in the lobby, and all of the staff gave me head pats and scratched behind my ears at every opportunity. When we checked in the staff brought up a bed for me - sized according to my slim figure - and a set of water and food bowls. My bed was made by the same company that made my master's bed. It was heavenly!

When my masters had breakfast or dinner (happy hour from 4-6 p.m.), they hitched my leash to a bannister next to the restaurant while they ate (I think that the happy hour menu was their favorite). All sorts of people came by and petted me. Once in a while another dog came by and we got to say Hi!

The grounds outside the hotel have some nice open spaces where I could run, sniff out birds, and take care of my personal business. There were also conveniently placed dispensers for small plastic bags for you-know-what.

The room was very spacious, with a kitchenette, refrigerator, microwave, coffee machine, and plates and utensils, and a gas fireplace.

The hotel is located at the foot of Mammoth mountain. If you go down about 75 steps, you get right to the gondola that takes you to the ski area. It was summer when I went, so I didn't ride that. There is a Village where the Gondola is, that has all sorts of stores, restaurants, shops, and games outside for kids and adults to play. I spent a lot of time sunning myself in front of the Starbucks store.

My master took me on walks starting at the hotel and going up Lake Mary Road. One day we walked on a really nice path all the way to Twin Lakes. What a beautiful view!!

When they advertise "Pet Friendly", they really mean it. I give it five paws. My master agrees!

Room Tip: If you are going to be there for a while, the extra space provided in a small suite is very nice
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Redwood City, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed here recently and were very impressed with the hotel. First, the location is ideal being right in the middle of Mammoth Springs. The staff was very warm and friendly when we checked in and even found us a better located room on the top floor. Being AAA, we got a fantastic deal on a 2 bedroom suite. The room was fantastic, high end decorations and furniture wtih 2 spacious bedrooms. The views were simply amazing. Kitchen was fully equiped, bathrooms huge.

Room service was pretty good, kids loved the pizza, pasta and the turkey sandwich. Cost was a bit high but unexpected given the Westin quality.

Unlike other reviews, I had no problem with the internet service. The pool is closed but they apologized and offered us shuttle service anytime across the street to their sister resport. One of the two jacuzzi's is open now.

Parking included in resort fee and is through a huge underground garage.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
WestinTeam, General Manager at Westin Monache Resort Mammoth, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Our Two Bedroom Suites are a such a great space for an amazing family getaway. Thanks for sharing your experience at our resort, and we hope you have an opportunity to visit us again soon!
Lyme Regis, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

After a long drive this hotel was a welcome break. The staff were most helpful and welcoming and the room,food and facilities were excellent.
The only issues that made our stay not quite up to the standard you would expect for this grade of hotel was that there was a noisy air conditioning unit and fridge in our room (525) and a coffee maker that did not work. Full marks to the staff who isolated the noisy equipment and replaced the coffee maker. The only remaining issue was that at night without a/c the room was warm and our night's sleep affected.
An additional disappointment was that the pool and jacuzzi were out of action.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

Checked in to the hotel, being Starwood Platinum and asked at the front desk about a room upgrade, it also appeared that they had about a ten per cent occupancy rate. I was told that I had already been upgraded. I walked in the shoebox, umm room and was wondering if this was an upgrade what would I have gotten If I were not Platinum.
I tried to use the wired internet for an important project, just to find there was no port. I picked up the cordless phone, and of course it didn't work either. After making the call on the other phone I waited for over thirty minutes, with no one showing up. On the second call I did get someone to come and fix the port. But, in the call I asked about the upgrade and I was told that they did not upgrade Starwood members, but I probably receive a view. Looking out of my small window I had a good view of the building and if I leaned over I could see the pool that was obviously not usable.
Most hotels recognize the value of frequent stayers this one does not. If your a Starwood preferred guest stay away from this hotel because they do not care about your business.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Columbus, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

Currently staying at the Westin Monache resort there is no pool no Jacuzzi both have leaks and they really have no idea when they will be repaired. Just want to Advise other potential guest that currently there is no pool and both Jacuzzis are out of service and the Internet service is poor to say the least. Even the front desk acknowledges this. They will shuttle you to another pool at another property but is not up to the standards of the Westin resort. And really do you want to get on a shuttle bus in your bathing suit and go to a different pool where you need to go to the front desk everyday to get a key and towels for there pool.
To make matters worse was in the lobby and the are still charging a resort fee. I very rarely complain or write negative reviews but potential guest should know this.

• Stayed June 2013
We appreciate the time you've taken to give your feedback and wanted to share that we have addressed your concerns.

Our pool and hot tubs will be ready for all of our guests to enjoy this Friday with our poolside lunch and beverage service starting June 28.

Regarding the internet service, we have made improvements to our Wi-Fi and expect to see significant improvement to internet service in general in the Mammoth Lakes area next month. A statewide internet expansion project is almost complete, making combining work and play in Mammoth a whole lot easier starting in July!
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

My friend & I stayed there for three days. My BD turned out to be there (round date :))... To my surprise no one from the Hotel congratulated me during that day...I didnt expect a gift, but I tought at least one BD card and "Happy BD" would be just fine, but... ((
Nevetheless, our room was perfect and quiet (low season).
Positive sides:
- spacious room;
- kitchen;
- fireplace;
- free wifi, but it didnt work during our stay (Hotel compensated this to us!!);
- free garage;
- nice bath amenities (though no shower cap);
Negatives ones:
- noisy a/c;
- a bathrobe with a torn pocket (why to put it the room in a first place??)
- not really tasty b/f (hot chocolate was a disaster, the lady who served us never smiled - though it was my BD!!!)...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Been to Westin Monache Resort Mammoth? Share your experiences!