“Enjoyable Stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Baltimore, MD
“Enjoyable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We took advantage of our Starwood points to spend 5 nights at the hotel during the first week of April. The hotel is lovely and modern with its western ski resort facade and "hotel contemporary" rooms.

Room: As I am very allergic to cats and dogs, I asked for a non-pet room and was given one that had no trace of allergens at all. We saw quite a few dogs in and around the hotel, but I never once had to use allergy medication. The view from our room was of the front of the hotel, which wasn't bad at all even if I couldn't see the mountains as I had hoped. At times, I felt like a cat mesmerized by the gondolas going back and forth directly in front of us (although not so close they could see into our room).

Our room had full-sized kitchen, a gas fireplace, and a king-sized bed along with a queen-sized pull-out couch, which worked very well for us as we had our 14-year-old son with us. The kitchen was nice to have. We mostly used it to store our breakfast pastries, fruit, and yogurt. It would be very easy to save a ton of money on restaurants by preparing meals in the room (if you wanted to spend your vacation cooking). One funny quirk about our room - the bathroom mirror had a slight concave curve to it that made our reflections look fat. Not exactly what I wanted to see ;)

Staff: Everyone we encountered was pleasant and efficient. No complaints at all. What more can you ask?

Food: We only ate one meal at the hotel which was breakfast in the Whitebark restaurant. It was a fairly typical hotel buffet - decent food, pricey. I didn't see any other places to eat in the hotel.

Transportation: We had a car that we only used twice - once to take an afternoon trip to Mono Lake and once to the Tamarack ski center. Other than that we used Mammoth Lakes' excellent (and free) bus/trolley/gondola system to get everywhere. It has to be the easiest town to get around in that I have ever visited. The Westin also provides free shuttle service but we never needed to use it. Note: The gondola located behind the hotel goes directly to the Canyon Lodge.

Ski Rentals: It would have been very convenient to rent our ski and snowboard equipment at the hotel. In the end though, we decided to rent at the Canyon Lodge so we could leave the equipment there and not have to lug it back to the hotel every day.

Overall, the Westin is a very nice hotel in a great location. The only thing I think would improve it would be a comfortable lobby with a fireplace where guests could lounge, have a drink, and meet others. It is a ski town after all and an apres-ski lodge feeling would be appealing. They did offer free hot chocolate in the afternoon which we appreciated. We would be very happy to stay again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Hercules, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

We came here for the weekend and right from the beginning the service was impeccable and attentive. I noticed the clientele was a bit upscale for my taste (being a down home, fairly casual gal) but they treated everyone nicely and I didn't feel the pretentiousness I usually feel
at other upscale hotels. I LOVED our room which had a view of the snow capped mountains and only wished we could've stayed longer. First rate and classy. Would definitely stay here again and recommend it as well.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

This is my third stay at the Westin Monache Resort in Mammoth. Just thinking about this hotel puts me at ease. Everything about the property makes me happy. The location is perfect. The decor is warm, welcoming and gives the feeling of being in a log home. The service is excellent. Staff is warm, friendly and goes out of their way to help. The property is super clean. The walk to the gondola at the village is a short walk away (the stairs to the villatge are daunting at first, but it's part of the apeal for me now -- a sign of coming home). I don't need to say much about Westin's Heavenly Bed as it sells itself. Food at the hotel is average, but hits the spot if you want to relax and just order room service. I look forward to my next trip to Mammoth and my stay at the Westin. Really. An awesome hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
ithaca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2012

We moved here from the Mammoth Mountain Inn. What a wonderful change. I would give up the convenience of being on the mountain for the comfort and cleanliness of the Westin. The staff was extremely attentive. The rooms are spacious, clean, well appointed and equipped. The small kitchenette is great. The restaurant is also quite good. The hotel also makes a great effort to provide transportation, especially up to the mountain. We have a car so we did not avail ourselves of the service, but the parking attendants always had our car waiting with 5 minutes warning. The hotel is expensive, but a reasonable value. If I was to return to Mammoth, I look forward to visiting the Westin again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Reno, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

We always stay here on our way from Reno to Palm desert. Everything was great on this visit. We had a beautiful room which was sparkling clean, great amenities, and comfortable. It was equipped with a small fridge, fireplace and the wonderful Heavenly Bed. Resort fees always irk me, but they seem to be a part of the industry. Staff is exceptionally helpful. We met the GM and voiced a concern over the bar being closed to a private party. He talked to us for about 15 minutes, even though it was a very busy Friday night. Will certainly go back without hesitation.

Room Tip: End rooms are larger , but view isn't as good.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2012

from the moment we arrived we felt very welcome. The staff at this hotel were helpful in local activities and the bonus of a free shuttle anywhere you would like to go was a bonus.
the location is great and the rooms we a good size. The only downside......
ever person seem to have a large dog in their room. So at any given time you would be sharing a lift with a family and a dog.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor if possible for a nice view of the mountains.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
LA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

There is an exit at the back of the hotel that has a handicap button that should open the doors automatically. It doesn't, but that doesn't matter much b/c those doors lead to 80 steep steps down a hill to the gondola. There's no way a handicapped person is navigating those steps.

And this is how one gets to the village and gondola. Lot's of fun in ski boots wit kids. NOT. This is such a major design flaw that I would consider other lodging options next time.

Other issues - the outdoor pool is cold. No adults swimming, only kids braving the pool temp. All of the adults crammed into the two small hot tubs.

The workout room is tiny and poorly equipped. There is no spa despite a sign that says pool and "spa." What the hotel means is hot tub. The "locker room" by the workout room is small and dingy.

Speaking of small, could the 1 BR suites be any smaller? What a joke. The comparable rooms at Beaver Creek Westin are much larger and nicer. They include a washer dryer and very nice bathroom. Not the case here.

At the restaurant there is a sushi bar. But if you don't sit at the bar, you can't order from portions of that menu. The waiter explained that I could order only sashimi but no rolls. "Sorry, it's very arbitrary" he said. It was a bummer considering there wasn't a single fish entree on the menu. The menu, though bizarre in its range of offerings, did produce some tasty dishes but they are quite heavy.

I arrived before check in time and did not expect the room to be ready. I left a cell # and the desk said someone would call when I could get in. Never received a call. Same thing in Beaver Creek.

It's a good hotel but if I hadn't received a big discount for a pre-paid room I'd be very disappointed.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Been to Westin Monache Resort Mammoth? Share your experiences!