“Authentic Mexican” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #21 of 77 Restaurants in Mammoth Lakes
Maryland
“Authentic Mexican”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2014

Really good Mexican food here. Lots of selections, guick and affordable food. This is right down the street from the hotel we stayed at...The Holiday Haus.

Visited August 2014

St. George, Utah
“Good EATS!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

Food and Service were Excellent. Highly recommend if you like real Mexican Food. Large servings...Great Leftovers. Will go there again when back in Mammoth.

• Visited August 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Authentic Mexican cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Great treasure on main street in heart of Mammoth Mountain. Family owned with excellent service. Enjoy the true flavours of Mexico. Very economically priced.A must visit while in this area.Pay heed to staff recomendation as their quantities are large.

Lafayette, California, United States
“Decent but Spotty Family Mexican Place”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014 via mobile

Nine of us ate at the Loco Frijole tonight and while there is much that is good about the place, including the family-run vibe, they have some holes, too. We started off by waiting for about ten minutes to be seated even though there were plenty of open tables. The chips were very good, but the salsa was watery and bland. We ordered margaritas and beers, and while the former came right away, the beers didn't arrive until fifteen minutes later after we reminded the server about the order. The main courses were uneven. My pollo verde tamale was outstanding, as was the albondigas soup. We also, however, tried the stone bowl molcajetes -- which turns out to be a kind of three meat stew with tomatoes and onions, and despite our high hopes, it was kind of meh. I wouldn't order it again.

Overall, here's my Loco Frijole summary: the vibe is good, the tamales excellent, the service spotty, and the rest of the menu average.

Visited August 2014
California
“Sorry Gang but The other reviewers got this one Wrong!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

I am a very positive reviewer and came here based on the great reviews of food and service, but the other reviewers must be family or friends on this one. We went in on a Sunday morning at 10;30am. They were not real busy but you would think they were. We waited a few minutes to be seated, got a menu and made the order. First the salsa was way diluted and had no pop. I'm a south Texas boy and I know good salsa! Then we ordered combo plates. I had the cheese enchilada with green sauce, a relleno and a tamale. The tamale was loaded with nothing but masa and no chicken or pork that I could find. It was the worst tamale I ever put in my piehole! Then the cheese enchilada was literally swimming in green sauce. I like green sauce this was ridiculous! The relleno was swimming in it too but it was by far the best thing I had on my plate. Beans and rice were ok. While we were there we saw two couples who stood up front for awhile waiting to be seated. They left because nobody took care of them. Then we heard the waitress tell two tables that they were out of bacon at breakfast time on a Sunday. The bottom line is this. I'm givin this family run joint a 2 instead of a one because they seem very nice and I'm pullin for them! But the food is no bueno right now. Cheap ingredients, pork that smelled spoiled on my wifes carnita wasn't a real turn on either. These folks that gave this joint 5 stars must have had the munchies real bad or something! I love Mom and Pop joints but his Mom and Pop need to learn how to cook before they try it out on the poor public!

• Visited August 2014