“Perfect for price & location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Holiday Haus Motel to your Saves list
Holiday Haus Motel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   3905 Main Street, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Ranked #10 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
“Perfect for price & location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013 via mobile

Rooms sort of updated, new bedding was very nice. Location awesome about 5 min walk to village. Hot tub old but better than no tub! Staff very nice & helpful. That being said we were the only people here. A couple mornings there was no "continental breakfast" (bagel & coffee) but thats ok. Floor very squeaky would never stay downstairs. Overall perfect for price ($75 shoulder season)

• Stayed May 2013

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

my family and i spend quite a bit of time in the mountains, especially Mammoth Mountain. if you are familiar with area, you'll understand the INSANE price of a room up here, so when booking a place for a snowboard shred-fest, we took a chance on the Holiday Haus. my wife called and was warmly greeted, our reservation was taken and the price was spot on! upon arrival, again we were greeted by the manager, Patty. she is awesome! she and Amanda really went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable!
when we got to our rooms, were quite surprised to find the amount of space! (we were expecting a shoebox) comfy, clean rooms, flat screen, free wi-fi, hot tub, free continental breakfast, and the best of all- walking distance to the gondola and village!
we liked it so much, and it was so convenient, we booked it again three weeks later!
although we are hardcore snowboarders, we found the location and comfort of the Holiday Haus to be a BIG bonus !
we will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Springfield, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My husband and I booked this hotel in November for our March stay. The price we were quoted per night included his military discount. We were given the only room that apparently has a king size bed and countertops. When we arrived for our stay we were told that we were getting the discount because the fireplace didn't work in our room. We said we were never told that and that's not what the discount was for. Apparently the fireplace had broken in January (now it's March) and hadn't been fixed. Well, it was an easy fix for us. We were moved to a different room with a working fireplace, two queen beds and no countertop. We were told we would also get money back because the room wasn't as expensive by one person but then told by another that that was not the case. We didn't argue with it, it wasn't worth it. (You'll understand why later in the review)

The hot tub broke our second day there and was broken through after we left (might still be), which didn't matter to me because I'm pregnant but my husband had been looking forward to using it. The room was clean and although not luxury, had everything we needed for the week. It was nice to come home to a fire at night too. I ate breakfast every morning, which consisted of bagels, cream cheese, butter, jelly, yogurt, and hot chocolate or coffee. On the weekend days they also put out some muffins. That's all I usually eat anyway in the morning but I can see how people think it's skimpy. We walked to the village every night for dinner. It's less than a 5 minute leisurely walk there. The free bus or trolley (depending on the time of day) also picks up right in front of the Holiday Haus. For the first and last morning that we lugged all of our ski stuff to the village gondola we used the bus. We rented a locker at Canyon Lodge and kept our stuff there every night in between. That was very convenient too.

The walls are paper thin but MOST everyone that was staying were very quiet and respectful of each other. We didn't have any problems except on our second to last and last night when we had a super rude father staying with his two girls next to us and after listening to what seemed like an anti-gravity wrestling match for 2 hours from 9-11 PM I finally banged on their door and asked them to knock it off. The second night after just a few minutes of it my husband went over and asked them to settle down to which the father replied, "Kids will be kids, what do you want me to do?" My husband replied, "We have kids too and they don't sound like elephants!" Which is true, our daughter is very respectful when we travel.

We worked with Pat and Amanda at the front desk. Amanda is the assistant manager and very nice. Her husband was also very nice to speak with and she has a cute little girl. She helped us out a lot and was very polite. We didn't really have a problem with Pat, who is the manager, but worked hard at keeping it that way. I did witness a conversation/yelling match between her and a man who was checking out that made me weary. I definitely understand how people have written reviews about her rudeness and attitude. She comes across as very negative and aggressive. I just mentioned the hot tube being broken to her, kind of like, "Oh, what happened", and she basically attacked me on it. We just kept to ourselves when she was around and didn't try to make any waves.

So, all in all - it wasn't a negative experience, just mediocre. It was convenient, very inexpensive, clean and close to what we needed. If we ever go back to Mammoth we would probably venture to a new place and try something else.

If you go to Mammoth without renting a car, which is totally doable, I recommend calling Mammoth Taxi and setting up your ride from the airport to your hotel a day in advance and then the same on your return to the airport. It's $15 a person and the cheapest, best you can do for no rental. The drivers are really really nice and very helpful with all the info you need for your stay. Our flight was canceled on our way out of Mammoth going home and everyone on our flight was scrambling to either go back to town or get a rental car or try and get on another flight that day (which didn't happen for anyone) and I actually got a phone call from our taxi driver who was concerned and asking if he should hang around for us or come back and would keep a look out for our phone call.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Lovely rooms, great location, right price, front desk really friendly and helpful
Shuttle bus stops outside to all restaurants and village every 15 mins. Village within walking distance if preferred. Continental breakfast supplied.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a fireplace for ambience.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Holidayhaus M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Haus Motel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Dear Jenny,
Thanks for staying at Holiday Haus. We're glad you enjoyed your trip to Mammoth Lakes, and we hope to see you again soon! Have you visited in the summer? It's awesome here!
San Jose, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

Spent 5 nights and had a great stay. We had to reschedule our trip at the last minute (because of a cancelled flight) and they accommodated us with no problems. Staff was friendly, even helped us shovel our car out after a big storm! Room was very nice, plenty big, quiet and kept us warm during some very cold nights. Loved having a fridge. Location is great: walk to the village gondola (or take the shuttle bus 1 stop if you prefer).

The only catch was that the wifi is terribly slow. During the evening (I guess when it's most busy) it's really unusable. They did warn us at check-in that it was very busy. Ironically, the sign at the entrance boasts "renovated wifi". They need to renovate it again!

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Kirk,

Thanks for staying at Holiday Haus and letting us know your feedback on your trip. We agree with you that we have one of the best possible locations in Mammoth Lakes! We'll definitely take into consideration your helpful constructive comments about the Wi-Fi. And when you visit Mammoth again, we'll do everything we can to ensure you have a peaceful and restful stay.
Ventura, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have reviewed this particular property before, where I shared how the front desk lady busted into my room and was scary rude...I was told that the problem was addressed and taken care of. It is not true. We called to book a room and guess who answered? That's right, the rudest person on the planet...and she was snotty and rude yet again...when asked if there were rooms...we get a snarly you'll have to call back, I don't have time to look right now. On check in, she did nothing but snarl and act like she was completely put out to have to take our money to stay. She must be related or be part owner, because she is downright scary to how she lets herself and her rudeness get out of control. No one would want to put her in charge, otherwise. We had to stay, because there was nothing else at the last minute....because I had to keep calling back to get an answer... but I will NEVER stay there again...that's a promise....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Holidayhaus M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Haus Motel, responded to this review, January 13, 2013
Dear tGypsyMomma,
On behalf of the owner of Holiday Haus Motel we're sorry to hear that you had a negative experience at our motel. We are taking note of your concerns about our guest services and meanwhile would like to encourage yourself and other guests to check out the many positive reviews we have received in the past two years for our comfortable rooms, great location and low prices.
Carson City, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

My husband and I decided to take an overnight trip to Mammoth Lakes, CA. Of the hotels located in Mammoth.. we chose Holiday Haus because of the price and location.

Holiday Haus was moderately priced for a room with a King bed, fireplace, fridge and microwave.

I loved the fireplace, however.. it was controlled by the thermostat located on the wall and would kick off when the room temperature was reached. I would have prefered to have the fireplace blazing for as long as I wanted. I can understand that the room may have gotten too warm.. but, I think there are better ways to control the room temperature and keep the fire going.

The King bed was somewhat comfortable with plenty of room to stretch out and more comfortable than what we had at home. Since our visit to Holiday Haus.. we've purchased our own King bed which is much better than theirs.

As for location... well.. it is convenient to the Lakes and restaurants. No complaints.

What I didn't care for was what appeared as "drama" between one of the staff members and a personal "friend". The "friend" kept coming and going out of the parking lot and the staff member was walking around outside trying to yap with my husband as he was taking a smoke break. Let's keep personal business out of our day trip.

Overall.. I was kinda of disappointed with my trip to Mammoth. I think I was expecting more and maybe it wasn't the right time of year to go visiting. We went during an off season prior to the snow.. which was fine for us.. since we don't ski.

However.. our hike from Twin Lakes to Horseshoe Lake was a very pleasant day. Not too crowded and the beautiful blue skies were perfect for picture taking.

As for revisiting.. probably not in the near future.. But, for ski lovers.. this may be a favorite for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Holidayhaus M, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Haus Motel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Hi CZeyha,
Thanks for sharing your story about taking a trip to Mammoth and staying at Holiday Haus. We're glad you enjoyed having a fireplace in your room and will take into consideration your helpful constructive comments. If you do visit Mammoth again, we'll do everything we can to ensure you have a peaceful and restful stay.

Been to Holiday Haus Motel? Share your experiences!