“Another must” 4 of 5 stars

Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
“Another must”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Roberto`s has become another must visit when we come to Mammoth. The food is excellent. Last visit I had a chicken tostada. The lettuce was fresh, it had a ton of chicken, and the shell was crisp. My son ordered a bean burrito off of the kid`s meal & it was enormous. My husband and I enjoy the Cadillac margaritas. You can actually taste the tequila vs more watered down versions elsewhere. We appreciated being seated on this visit because we walked in about 10 minutes before closing. The only negatives I have are that I feel it is a bit pricey & lacking a bit in customer service. We don't necessarily feel like valued customers. We will definitely return for the food.

Roberto_cafe, Owner at Roberto's Mexican Cafe, responded to this review, July 31, 2014
Thank you for making us a must and we will strive to make you feel valuable
Joanie

“Honestly the worst meal I had in whilst in California!!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

I recently went on a road trip around California, every meal I had was really surprisingly good, until I got here!! I ordered the combination plate of chicken taco and pork tamale with Mexican rice and whole beans. The waitress got my order wrong by giving me refried beans instead of whole beans and the whole thing was just terrible!! The rice tasted like the chicken taco, the chicken taco tasted like the pork tamale and the tamale tasted like the riceand the refried beans were a disgusting slop!! Apart from a couple of crispy bits of the flour taco it was all basically one texture.......one texture and one flavour, I didn't even eat half of it. Honestly the worst meal I had in the whole of California!!

• Visited June 2014
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Bonsall, California
“Stale chips, great margaritas”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

Roberto's used to make their own flour and corn chips. The ones they are using now appear to be factory made and they were stale. Great salsa, but not many points for the salsa when you are serving stale chips. We were seated at a table in the upstairs bar. Things were slowing down, including our waitress who was pleasant, prompt to greet us when we sat down, and notably absent from view for long periods after that. The margaritas are great. They offer several choices of their own creations as well as tequila flights, and can make any recipe you specify. The bottom third of the house margarita with salt tasted like a salt brine. Sloppy bartending let way too much salt drop into the bottom of the glass; hint: rub a lime on the outside only of the rim of the glass to keep salt out of the drink. The food was good and tasty, better than average. Cost was $43.50 for one appetizer, 2 drinks, and 1 dinner plate with 1 taco, beans and rice. Not cheap. They are packed during the usual early evening times.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Roberto_cafe, Owner at Roberto's Mexican Cafe, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Still make our chips fresh every morning
Westwood Los Angeles County, California
“all around yummy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Gotta love the great chips and salsa and the fajitas! double yum. I love that they are open late. great atmosphere upstairs plus the views! what's not to love??

Visited July 2014
Roberto_cafe, Owner at Roberto's Mexican Cafe, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
We love you! Thanks for the review
joanie
“Good enough”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My husband grew up here and likes Roberto's. It's kind of an institution in Mammoth and has been around for decades. Still, having enjoyed real homemade Mexican meals, I feel like Roberto's food is a little Americanized. As long as you know that and don't mind, it's a nice place to eat with a friendly atmosphere.

Thanks for the review. We do make everything from scratch. maybe next time your in we can help you choose something you may like better
Joanie