“No regrets” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
San Diego, CA
“No regrets”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed in Unit 208 at the Summit, which is a 1 Bed/1Bath condo. I tried searching for reviews on this particular unit, but I couldn’t find any. I did, however, find reviews for other units at the Summit on TripAdvisor.com and most of them were very negative. Since the units are privately owned, I took a chance anyway with Unit 208, and I have absolutely no regrets.

We were very satisfied with Unit 208 at the Summit. The unit had all new appliances, classy furniture and tasteful décor. It was very cozy and clean, and for me to say it was clean means a lot because I am a clean/neat freak.

There are two Jacuzzis very close by. Before we arrived, we were afraid we would have to walk a long distance outdoors to get to the Jacuzzi, but it were just a short walk down the hallway, and a few steps outside so we didn’t freeze our butts off. The button for the bubbles was at the edge of the Jacuzzi, too, so we didn’t have to get out of the water to restart it – a big plus for me.

Before we booked the condo I read somewhere that there is an underground parking garage with an elevator – there was an underground parking garage, which was really convenient, but I didn’t see any elevators. Fortunately, there weren’t very many stairs.

The Summit is very close to Eagle Lodge, but I wouldn’t recommend walking to the lifts from Unit 208. The Summit has different names for each building. Unit 208 is in the building named Ansel Adams. Although Ansel Adams is walking distance to the lifts, with snowboarding or ski gear it is more of a hassle than it’s worth. It’s easy enough just to hop in the car and find a parking spot that is much closer. If you have your heart set on not having to worry about finding a parking spot, the buildings Grand and Forester are ideal walking distance to the lifts, or you can stay at Juniper Springs. My boyfriend and I originally had our heart set on walking to the lifts, but it really wasn’t a big deal finding a close parking spot, especially because we were so happy with our unit.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — N/A
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Palos Verdes, Ca.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2008

Just returned from Presidents weekend. I've been skiing Mammoth for 20 years and have stayed just about everywhere, A first at the Summit. Unit 274 is a 3 bedroom that shows beautifully in photos and in person. We paid $2200 for 4 nights. A premium. The upstairs bathroom was clogged by morning. A flusterred maintenance man came to fix but could not. Toilet needed to be replaced (not while we were there of course) The shower didn't get hotter than 75 degress and remained there as long as you kept the knob betwen 10 and 10:30. Bathroom #2 downstairs had no hot water either and extremely low water pressure with a water saver showerhead to boot. By day 2 that toilet wouldn't flush either. I spent 3 1/2 days plunging. It was gross and unacceptable. The heater vents were clogged with black soot, there was nothing to light a fire with. To date, I 've only been offered a 10% discount (which doesn't even cover a tact on fee) no apology what so ever from MAMMOTH RESERVATIONS. In fact, they have yet to return my phonecalls. They are aware and have aknowledged the plumming issues but still continue to rent the unit. They don't care! Please don't be fooled. You would be better off crowding a famly of eight into a studio at The Village!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — plumbing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
los angeles
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2008

Booked our reservation through Mammoth Reservations.com. When we got to The Summit Unit 294, we were suprised, it was very nice at first look. Then as we settled the SHOCK came to us. We found a huge leak in the master bedroom, that dripped onto the moldy carpet all night. The drip was by the heater so we had no heat. So we went to the front desk and they tried to accomidate us but the other condos were smaller and did not work for the 6 of us. Then they offered to upgrade for more money which was [--] because in the guest book in the room they KNEW about this leak since 03-2007 and they dont tell you about it when you book. Then as we got into bed there were stains and hairs on the bed sheets...We were disgusted. Finally the dishes were not even clean when we got there and some of the glassware (cups) and chips on it (could be dangerous). Overall The Summit was not accomidating and offer VERY POOR SERVICE.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — Everything about the SUMMIT
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Diego
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2008

We stayed during winter for skiing. It was nice because we could walk to the lifts; however, we dreaded coming back to our unit. There were spiders on the ceilings, I counted five over the couch one night and there were cobwebs all over the unit. The heater in the livingroom was broken and the heater in the dining area had a broken knob. We brought up our own food and didn't even use the kitchen because the kitchen was dingy and even my husband who can rough it was grossed out. The linens were old and thankfully we brought our own towels and blankets (just in case). We didn't even use the sheets on the bed we just piled up our own blankets. The lock on the front door did not work well, in fact one afternoon I came back fromskiing and could not manage to open the door so I had to hike it over the front desk with my skiis and ask for help. The front desk clerk seemed annoyed and handed me all the keys to the unit to see if they would work. She also noticed on her checklist that the heater needed to be fixed and asked me if that was true. Since we did NOT complain about that I said yes but was wondering why would they rent out a unit knowing the heater was not working? When my husband found out that they knew about this before we rented the unit he was annoyed.
We will not stay in this unit again. It needs MAJOR upgrading and an exterminator. We will be staying in another complex alltogethor.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The unit itself
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2007

We booked this condo through Mammoth Reservations (not to be confused with Mammoth Reservation Bureau). Mammoth Reservations specifically runs the Summit although it has condos in many other Mammoth locations.

Our stay was terrible because there was loud construction occurring right outside our condo within the Summit complex that woke us up at 6 AM. When we complained, we were offered another condo on which all of the window screens were broken, so you couldn't air out the condos (which were hot because it was July). When we pointed out that this was not satisfactory, we were informed that we could either pay for an upgrade or get a refund for the remaining nights.

The manager told me these were our only options because she had warned us about the construction (which she had NOT). She accused me of lying and trying to work an angle to get a free upgrade. She even hung up on me while I was trying to negotiate with her. While I was trying to work these things out, another couple came in that was also livid, wanting their money back and stating that they were going to write letters to the Chamber of Commerce and the Board of Health.

Mediocre accomodations with terrible terrible service. I would give it zero stars if I could.

• Liked — It had three queen beds
  • Disliked — The service
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2006

Not a good stay. Food particles on every glass, food particles in the bottom of all cabinet shelving. Hairs in the bathroom. Yech! Who cleaned this thing anyway! No good night sleep on the master bed, highly uncomfortable. Fireplace flue/vent leaks smoke into unit. Nice to have underground parking, though. I just can't believe a place at $300+/nite could be this poorly prepared. Mammoth Reservations upgraded us at Mammoth Green on day two of our week stay, and it was like nite and day.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2006

This place is very near the Eagle Lodge. We were able to drive up and park right at the chair, but were told they were about to break ground across the street for a big lodge and underground parking structure so before you go be aware construction may be starting outside you window.

The units are funky. They are older with thin walls, and if you are on the second floor over the garage the floors are freezing. Even the carpet was cold, but the tile kitchen and bathroom floors were unbearable.

There is no one on staff in the office after 6pm or before 9am, so basically you cannot ski if you need something from the office, like having the dirty unit you checked into and paid a linen fee for actually cleaned for real. The towels they supply...for a $40 fee...are old and worn out. Below par for even Motel 6.

If you book through Mammoth Reservations and not a private owner, expect problems and no service. We rented in the past from private owners and the units were much cleaner and less expensive.

Was it work the $189 plus booking fee, tax and linen fee? No. It was dirty and cold.

• Stayed March 2006

Been to Summit Condominiums? Share your experiences!