“Perfect Family Getaway” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Santa Clarita, California
“Perfect Family Getaway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2011

My family and I stayed out Juniper Springs the week between Christmas and New Years, arguably their busiest time. The hotel was at 100% capacity but we never felt like our needs weren't met. The hotel staff was very attentive and knowledgeable about both the area and the ski resort. You can buy lift tickets and rent ski equipment from inside the resort, which is huge, if you've ever seen the lines at the lodge.
We parked our car in the underground parking lot and never needed to get it out until we checked out. The hotel has a complimentary shuttle that operates everyday and will take you wherever you want to go, although it's on a first come/first serve basis.
All in all, we feel like we had a great first experience in Mammoth, thanks to Juniper Springs.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this review, January 30, 2011
Thank you so much for such a lovely review. I am glad we were able to show you such a good time and accomodate you so efficiently. Please come and see us again. Have a wonderful week.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Hebrew first
Mountain View, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

Before reading this, understand that I travel to all parts of the country for business and pleasure with approximately 100+ nights booked per year, so I'm no spring chicken when it comes to dealing with the snafus that arise during travel.

We were supposed to be here for the weekend for our anniversary at the Westin Monache, but due to a boiler accident the hotel was shut down and we were relocated to the Juniper Springs Lodge. After reading the diversity of reviews we arrived with reservations and couldn't understand the disparity between so many 1 star and 5 star reviews. Here's our hypothesis:

The rooms here are condos and have individual owners, so there may be a large variance in decor and quality of in-room amenities/comfort, leaving it up to chance on the quality you receive as a non-owner guest. It's a complete gamble. The walls are thin but manageable and you will hear people running back and forth with their ski boots on. I think people give this place high reviews because of its location (ski in/ ski out) which is true so I do have to give them that. Other reviews also pointed out the difficult nature in controlling the temperature which is true. It's either boiling hot or no heater on. Nothing in between. The thermostat controls the gas fire place so when the heater kicks on it's the gas fire place. It's not exactly the romantic fire place we envisioned.

In regards to the beds and the bedding. The beds were fine and after reading reviews about their poor quality linens I didn't want to risk having to deal with the thin nasty fleece type covers and the Westin shipped over their heavenly bedding and pillows for us. That's right. They shipped over bedding just for our room. Sheets, pillows, down comforter and all and it made it so much better. There are no restaurants on property, just a small coffee/snack shop, and the meager room service consists of croissants, cookies, ice cream bars. There is better selection out of the vending machine. The shuttle service here also serves more than 4 other properties so even though it can take you where you want to go in addition to the free public transportation lines, you may have to wait. The westin shuttle is just for the westin and even though we are not staying there this weekend, their shuttle is taking care of us to the airport.

Now if nothing goes wrong and you never have to deal with the staff here, then I can see how the stay will go fine. Their customer service is consistently rated very poor and this is not a hotel so I suppose the expectations should be lower in general. These people manage a property.

There Westin staff made a mistake when communicating check out date for Sunday instead of Monday, which may have been a little easier to deal with had there been a more thorough confirmation of "We have you checking out at this date" which all westin, starwood, and all hotel properties do. I caught the error and spoke to the front desk who was both rude and less than competent. In order to accommodate us, they would have to move rooms as the owner of the unit we were in was coming into town (understandable). When we prodded how this was going to happen, they said check out is at 11, so make sure you have your stuff packed and out of the room and we could check back in after their chick-in time (3 I believe). Now, I don't know about you, but I find it hard to ski, snowshoe, or take scenic snowcat tours with a couple suitcases and miscellaneous other bags in tow.

I wanted to inquire as to what type of room we were going to get because remember all the rooms were different, they told us we couldn't see what the room looked like because it was occupied. They also responded with "It's not our fault that the dates were wrong" and were very unwilling to help. The staff here is poorly trained and even though we never actually stayed at the Westin this weekend, all of the Westin staff that we have interacted with have been very helpful and wanted to make sure we are well taken care of at another property.

Don't be fooled by the management response to each and everyone of these posts. It doesn't help the situation after the fact. We have been in regular verbal communication with the GM of the Westin as well as their responsive staff and things get done right away. Why stay here when you can go to the Westin and know exactly what room you are getting, with top notch customer service. Mr Tom Smith, the GM can contact me about this post but he wasn't interested in talking to us while we were here.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

My son and I stayed for four nights at this hotel because I read the snowboarding was great at Mammoth Lakes. We wanted a ski-in/ski-out type resort. The resort is in a beautiful area right below incredible slopes. The accommodations were spacious, clean and very comfortable. Even the studio condo was quite large for 2 people. What impressed me the most was the staff. They were always courteous, friendly and knowledgeable. They helped me when hotels.com messed up my arrangements & offered me a better room with a discounted price. One night my son ordered room service but they were out of one of the ingredients. Instead of just making us re-order they sent up a hot panini sandwich and bottle of champagne~~ at NO charge. The ski instructors were very helpful as well. In four days we didn't meet anyone that wasn't overly friendly and happy to be there doing their job!! I was also impressed by the shuttle driver, Jack, who took us into the town and to area restaurants. He acted as though he was there to just service us! I would return to this hotel anytime. I hear it's even a great place to go in the summer.

• Stayed January 2011
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2011
This is one of the best reviews yet. Reading it simply lifted my spirits. This is exactly the kind of experience we strive for for every guest. Please come back and stay with us anytime. We would love to have you.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2011

We started out a bit rough. We checked into a non-smoking room on the 1st floor where it was clear that the prior guests had been smoking. I couldn't tell what was worse, the old smell of smoke or the pine woodsy scent to mask the smoke smell. In any event, the front desk was less than enthusiastic about helping us change rooms. They sent maintenance to try and fix the problem. How are you going to fix that? Anyhow, maintenance agreed, no way to fix a room which smelled like smoke and informed the front desk. We then waited and waited and waited. Not once did the front desk inform us that our room had been changed. Instead I was left waiting with a 6 and 9 year old. It wasn't until a bell captain said that he had been looking for me to change rooms. Neither of the front desk women told me that our room had been changed, even though I was standing at the front desk! Once we changed rooms, we all came to life. We had a fabulous clean and smoke free room on the 3rd floor. It was bright and airy. My husband and I slept in the bedroom and the children slept on the sofa bed. We had to put our big down comforter on the sofa bed because the springs were uncomfortable for the kids but once we did that, they did just fine. We had a perfect sized full kitchen, dishwasher too. We stocked up at Vons in Bishop because we had heard that the Vons in Mammoth is extremely expensive and out of everything. The shower was ok but never got hot. The facility is fabulous. The pool, the jacuzzi....3 of them. The location is great!! Right at the base of Eagle. Staff at the tickets/rental at Eagle are extremely friendly! Despite our rough start, we will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Thank you for your review. We are pleased that overall your vacation with us was a success, however, I expect we can do a little bit better for you upon your next visit. Changing rooms to meet your needs is never an issue so be assured that this is a solution we should have executed more efficiently for you. Please call us directly prior to your next arrival and we will be sure to double check your specific room for any smells or comfort issues. Wouldn't want you to miss out this clean mountain air. Happy Martin Luther King day.
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2011

Just got back from a wonderful weekend of skiing at Mammoth Lakes, CA. I have been to Mammoth many times and this by far was our best trip. In addition to the perfect weather and skiing conditions our stay at Juniper Springs was perfect. The location was truly amazing - steps away from Eagle Lodge so we didn't have to hassle with getting into a car, driving to the slopes, looking for parking etc. The hotel offers ski rentals, free lockers for storing your skis, free underground parking, nice pool and 3 hot tubs. The service is great and the staff will gladly help with any problem you may have. The rooms are clean with a great view, the kitchen is well equipped and everything seems new, there is a flat screen TV with Direct TV and a DVD player.
Would highly recommend this place and am looking forward to coming back again.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
This was a very gracious response. Thank you. Im glad you were able to enjoy one of the many Flat Screens we've recently installed in our units. Of course, when you weren't watching tv you were skiing the slopes that were right outside your door. We hope you come back and stay with us again soon. Have a great Martin Luther King Weekend!
San Diego, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2010

Had all of the problems of a new property yet they have been around a while...consistently took two or more call to get issues with room taken care of...

Location is great - could be a first class property but the service needs work...

Beware of policy on refunds/credit - if you buy a package (lift and lodging) they won't give you credit for the lift ticket even if the lifts don't operate - ouch!

Very expensive trip to ski where there was tons of snow and no skiing...I will recommend due to location and potential but I did not get my monies worth and management did not seem to care..."sorry sir, that our policy"...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this review, December 25, 2010
Thank you very much for your review!! All of this feedback is important to us. December is certainly our busiest time of the year and it is always our priority to maintain as best a response time as possible for our guests so it is important that we understand your experience in order to improve our service.
Lift Ticket Credits are issued to guests in the event of a complete chairlift shutdown. If you did not recieve any credit and all the chairs did in fact shut down, please contact us immediately so that we may rectify that for you.
Have a wonderful Holiday Season!!!!!! :)
Hacienda Heights, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2010

We stayed in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom condo just prior to Christmas.

First and foremost, this is a terrific location. Ski in / ski out is the only way to go. Walking a stone's throw to chair 15 out of the locker room was great. I will also have to note that the units were pretty clean.

Things that need attention -
1. It was way too hot in the hallways and the rooms. (Note: I am the person who is usually always freezing.) We had each thermostat turned down or off, and it was necessary to have the windows and balcony door opened to make it liveable. There was no other way of regulating the temperature.
2. Sleeping on the floor or on air beds would have been more comfortable. The king sized bed's mattress was terrible. The sheets were worn out, itchy, and quite nappy. The twin sized beds looked a bit more comfortable, and had feather mattress toppers. I inquired about the feather mattress topper for the king size bed, but was told they were not available.
3. There is no way the 2 bedroom unit would have accomodated 6 people with ski clothing and luggage. The other 2 guests we were expecting to join us had their flight canceled due to the weather, again there is no way this would have worked with 6 people. I know we are there for one reason, and that is to ski, but seriously the place was close to 500 square feet - how is that supposed to work?
4. Locker space, there is no way a family of 4 would be able to fit all of the ski gear into just one of the lockers downstairs. We had to carry our ski boots down (and back up) in order to follow the rule of no ski boots in the halls or rooms. That is a little cumbersome with younger kids.

I would reccomend Juniper Springs to a friend with a few cautions.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this review, December 24, 2010
Our excellent location is one of our most sought-after features, however, you were absolutely in the right to point out the few things that need attention. Thank you for your input. It is because of this input that we've ordered new beds which are being installed as we speak, and why we are seeking approval from the Home Owners Association to install AC units into our condos. For your future stay please let us know whenever you'd like us to accomodate your extra storage and space needs. We would love to get you a great price on one of our 3 Bedroom condos. Happy Holidays!

Been to Juniper Springs Resort? Share your experiences!