“Somewhere in-between okay and good” 4 of 5 stars

Lift Lodging Package
Ranked #8 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
GreenLeadersBronze level
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
“Somewhere in-between okay and good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed 2 nights at the Juniper Springs Resort at the beginning of June 2012 as a stop-off between Yosemite and Vegas. Originally we were going to just stay 1 night but decided to book 2 so that we could explore the area a bit and have more time to rest between 2 long drives (5 hours from LA to Yosemite, 6 from Mammoth to Vegas).

Initial impressions of the hotel were mixed: on the one hand it looks pretty dated but I guess in the ski season with snow around it would probably look "cosy", on the other hand the reception service at check in was very friendly (a cynic might say it was just because they aren't busy outside of winter season so weren't rushed) and we were offered plenty of advice on places to go and how to get around.

The room was okay, pretty large and full of amenities we didn't really need (or use) such as a cooker, fridge, sink etc,) but again if you wanted it, it was there. Unfortunately we slept terribly both nights which I don't think is entirely the hotel's fault (I suspect the 9,000ft altitude didn't help) but the room was quite hot and stuffy and, like others have said, there is NO air-conditioning here, just heating and fires for those winter times. (Definitely aimed a ski tourists not summer visitors).

As for Mammoth itself, it's a pretty little village and easy to get around, a typical ski resort I would say. There are a few shops and restaurants so for a 2 night stay we had plenty of choice for eating out, though I suspect anything more than a week you'd struggle to eat at different places every night (unless you wanted fast food or takeaway).

We were a bit gutted that access Devil's Postpile was still closed when we visited due to the snow - being the end of may we assumed it would be open but I guess that's our fault for not researching properly. However we did take a gondola ride up to the top of Mammoth Mountain which is worth doing - at 11,200ft it's pretty high and worth seeing if the weather's clear for some excellent panoramic views of pretty much the entire surrounding ranges.

Other than that we just wandered around, went on a hike to Ruby Lake which is very much 'off the beaten track' but worth it if you're prepared to hike for a few hours, the views are stunning.

So would I recommend Juniper Springs? For skiers it's probably ideal in the winter for it's location and well equipped rooms. In the summer it's okay for a stopover but I'm not sure what else you would find to do in Mammoth. There are probably cheaper hotels in the area and if you aren't picky then Juniper is probably expensive for what you get, but we were too scared of ending up somewhere terrible so paid a bit extra and weren't disappointed with what we got. Also the hotel is right on the back edge of the village set slightly away from everything else, so if you don't have a car (which seems unlikely especially if you're a summer visitor) be aware that you'd struggle to walk to the shops/restaurants from here - I guess it'd take at least 30 minutes.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Hebrew first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

What a great location - right on the slopes. Rentals right there and they will store them overnight for free. Free shuttle buses all over Mammoth make this the perfect place to stay and they have a separate shuttle to take you to dinner door to door. Well designed and well located. Lockers, pool, gym - Juniper Springs has it all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Ladera Ranch, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2012

I booked my reservation through Hotels.com November 3, 2011 for a 2 night stay June 29th to July 1st, 2012 as the 1st leg for our 7 day trip to Lake Tahoe this summer. I read the cancellation policy. Tthe way it was worded I thought changes after Jun 27th, 2012 was what I needed to worry about.

April 1, 2012 we bought a puppy. We decided this week to bring him on the trip to Tahoe. I started checking our reservation for Tahoe, since we were staying there 7 nights to see if they allowed pets. They did. When I checked our reservation for Juniper Springs it clearly said NO PETS ALLOWED. I found another hotel in Mammoth that allowed pets and booked with them. When I went to cancel online for Junoper Springs it deducted $25.00 from the amount I already paid back in 2011.

I didn't process the cancellation. I felt it could probably be waived since I booked my reservation over 6 mos ago. I am cancelling well over 30 days not to mention they have had my money in their account for over 6 months.

I called Hotels.com to see if they could contact the hotel and ask if they could be kind enough to waive the fee since I would now need to bring be a pet. Belle from Hotels.com was very kind and sympathetic. She put me on hold to contact the Juniper Springsl. When she got back on the line she was sorry to say the staff member told her they have a no exception policy. She said she really tried and they would not budge. I told her thank you for trying and that it was unfortunate for them as I personally will never bother to book there even without a pet and I will be posting something on TripAdivsor to make others aware. It's not so much the $25.00 it's more the principal. Definatley not a Nordstrom or Costco customer service mentality.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2012

We arrived early and staff were very accommodating in finding us a room as we had flown straight in from Australia. The room was very clean and comfortable and the kitchen very well stocked. We had a brilliant 8 days here and would return in a heartbeat. Juniper Springs is not near restaurants or bars but we found the free bus transport around the town brilliant and the courtesy car at night a bonus. Having the ski lift just a few steps away was fantastic and made the mornings and afternoons getting in and out hassle free (especially with children). There was a guest coin laundry and not far away by bus we could get our shopping at Vons. I can not fault this lodge, we had a exceptional time.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review! We are pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed all of the amenities our resort has to offer and thrilled everyone had an exceptional experience! Although the distance is great, we look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.
Truckee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

We recently spent a long weekend at Juniper Springs and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Our one bedroom condo was reasonably sized and furnished. The unit was in good condition though clearly not new. The bed was comfortable, the sofa bed was not. The kitchen was adequately stocked and the bathroom was in decent condition, although the shower/bath could have used an overhaul. The ski locker and underground parking were extremely convenient and the check in/check out was very efficient. The greatest appeal of the property, however, is its ski-in/ski-out proximity to the Eagle Lodge next door, site of the Eagle chairlift, ski school, and lift ticket sales.

Chino Hills, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

Stayed at this hotel before. The rooms are nice. The sofa-bed is extremely uncomfortable, though.

This time, though, we had to cancel the reservation since the roads that we needed to take to get from Yosemite Valley to Mammoth Lakes were closed due to snowfall. But unfortunately the hotel was entirely unwilling to help out and instead even said they would charge us a $50 cancellation fee ON TOP OF THE FULL PRICE FOR THE ROOM!!!! This is absolutely ridiculous! So, unless you are 150% sure that you will be able to make it there (broken car, sickness, delayed flights, road closures, earth quakes, you name it, taken into account), DO NOT BOOK THIS HOTEL! There will be NO help waiting for you.

Room Tip: Do NOT expect to sleep comfortably on the sofa bed!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
juniperresortgm, General Manager at Juniper Springs Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
It is rare that the main north/south highway is closed for very long, even in the winter months. Given the fresh snow, I am guessing you were disappointed you didn’t come as well. I hope that you will give us another chance when planning any trips to Mammoth in the future. Please feel free to contact me directly at 760-924-1102 so that we may accommodate your expectations and needs. Have a wonderful season!
pasadena
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

Arriving at juniper springs brought memories of a nighmarish experience at tamarack lodge..to my surprise, reception was accommodating and very polite. We were allow to go into our room early, and whe we found it too small we're allowed to go from room to room looking for the one that would best suit the family. Remember if u ask they will usually allow u to see the room.

Room 224 too small, clean it has one king, two twins two bath, the layout is cramped. Room 445 large same amenities larger layout.. Just as we were going to take it, a maid advised us of the 451 and 351. Beautiful, large, spacious layout. 451 was occupied but 351 had to be cleaned. We asks and were allowed to stay in the first room until 351 was ready about 2 hours.

Room 351 warm but cool at night. During the day, open door for 15 minutes and temp Is fine.

Downside: no Internet. We work and play and a good connection is extremely important. We have been here two days and the connectivity is terrible. Don't expect to use the wifi.

Skiing has been great. Bottom line, as experienced traveller we know that being polite, asking directly and not assuming that the front desk will always want or think to accommodate a traveller, we ask, we give our expectations and when things don't go well, we express our dislike clearly but appropriately and most of the time, it is handled at the staff level.

We have another two days, update u later..for now, great, place..

Room Tip: Ask..let front desk know u r willing to wait until room is clean.. The larger rooms are cleaned last...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I am happy to hear that we were able to relocate you and your family to a more suitable condo. Your experiences related to the check-in process as well as the internet deficiencies will educate us moving forward as we strive to provide the highest quality services for all our guests. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Been to Juniper Springs Resort? Share your experiences!