“Chamonix Unit #76” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Condominium   |   803 Canyon Blvd., Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Calabasas, California
“Chamonix Unit #76”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed in Unit 76 for 4th of July weekend, and had a great experience. It's a 1 bdrm with a loft, there's a king bed in the downstairs bdrm and a queen + bunk beds in the loft. The unit was very clean and cozy with a nice warm decor, had it's own balcony with a table and chairs.

I have to mention how helpful the management company was! On the way up to Mammoth Lakes, we decided to extend our stay one more day, and they were very accomodating, their representative was really nice, she called and responded to my phone message right away, took care of my request, and I received a confirming email for everything. The hot water heater wasn't on when we arrived, but with one phone call she helped me find it was just a flip of the in-unit circuit breaker to correct it, and we had lovely hot showers in no time. Overall it was a very nice stay, everyone had a great time, and would stay here again. Gold star!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chino Hills, California, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have stayed here in the past but this year was a little different. Condo# 95 is supposed to be one of the nicer ones which comes with a higher price tag. To some extent is was, upgraded kitchen with granite countertops, bathrooms were also upgraded. Here's the kicker, the linens on our bed had clearly not been changed since the last guests!! They had hair on the pillow cases and sheets, the down cover that went over the sheets had white stains on them, it was by far one of the most disgusting things I've ever encountered!! We had to put towels on the pillows the first night and did not use the covers, we had to rely on the little wall heater to keep us warm, did not get much sleep that night. I called reservations the next morning to ask for fresh linens, I explained to Michelle what we experienced and she came across as bothered by the whole thing and said she couldn't deliver fresh linens till later in the day, didn't apologize for the inconvenience, nothing!! I thought wow this place is ridiculous, I wish the owners of these condos were aware of the poor management company they are using to rent their place! with the prices they charge you would think they would use a good cleaning service!! The kitchen although nice has very limited useful pots and pans, they're old and warped, we went to make coffee the first morning and found old coffee in the basket with HAIR! what was it with all the hair in this place?!
It is a great location, we walked to the lifts and walked back for lunch but it was so disappointing to see that the staff did not give a hoot about the poor cleaning. I emailed them when I got home to complain and got a response saying they would talk to the maid service and get back to me. Seriously a joke! I will never stay here again and apparently that's ok with them!

We are going back in April and I am looking into the Snowbird condos next door, we've stayed there before also but it's been a while, however, the reservations website for these condos has their own reviews and the management responds to them, so clearly they are interested in the experience of their guests.

Chamonix, shame on you!

Room Tip: Beware of the dirty linens, its disgusting!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Irvine, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

We stayed in Unit 89. There were 2 master suites with their own bathrooms downstairs, the main living area in the middle, and a bathroom and loft with 2 sets of bunk beds upstairs. Each room had its own TV and the unit was nicely upgraded.

Chamonix, overall, is located one "property" away from Canyon Lodge. Chamonix is broken up into different "complexes", 90's, 80's, etc. Condos have outdoor parking directly outside the door to each unit, with an indoor hot tub located at the end of each row of condos. The mud room as you enter the condo was great - well-stocked with wood for the fireplace and room enough for several people to get their boots on, hang their snow clothes to dry, and keep equipment.

The walk from our front door to the lifts was literally 5 minutes (slight uphill walk, but EASY, and we did it with 4 kids ages 6-10). The condo owners graciously allowed us use of their ski locker at Canyon Lodge, which made the trip SO much better - we kept skis and ski boots in the locker, and were able to wear regular boots to walk to / from the condo, just carrying the snowboards.

We had a dishwasher, updated appliances and everything we needed for a wonderful 2-family getaway!

Other locations within Chamonix may not be as convenient, but the 80's and 90's are PRIME locations!

Room Tip: Chamonix units in the 90's and 80's are a very easy walk to Canyon Lodge - even with little...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012 via mobile

very nice stay. walking distance to the ski lift. we had unit 86. it had two bedroom with it's own bath, one upstairs loft and another bathroom. towels, shampoo, extra blankets provided. kitchen fully stocked with pots and pans, utensils, etc. wood for chimney also included. allow two to three cars. only complaint is that the walls are thin and the furniture is dated but for a weekend stay away from home, it was more than sufficient

• Stayed January 2012
tijuana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

It is a great location condo, walking distance to Canyon Lodge. Don't expect new room's, condos are old. I stay here for the last 10 years an condo furniture is the same. Staff very nice and helpfull

Room Tip: No wi-fi.
  • Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2010

We stayed at unit #7 and though the decor was dated (from the 80s) and the appliances were old, everything worked, we had lots of hot water (with a great massaging showerhead), we had free Wi-Fi, and it was a very short walk (<5 min) to the Canyon Lodge lifts. Parking in the Canyon Lodge lot was not much closer than our condo. The person who said you had to be an Olympic athlete to make this walk was completely wrong - they must be one lazy, fat slob if they thought this walk was long. We've had longer walks from parking lots to lifts at other mountains - Snowmass and Steamboat Springs leap to mind.

We didn't need much service but when I called for directions at 1am on a Friday night I was quickly connected to a customer service rep who cheerfully gave me directions to the condo. We also had just gotten 2 feet of snow that night but the next day things the lot was plowed and we had no trouble getting in and out. The condo was stocked with the essentials so all we had to buy was food.

All-in-all we got a great value - about $175/night (including weekend) - taxes and security deposit included. This was by far the best price for something this close to the mountain.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
San Clemente
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2009

I stay frequently at Chamonix, and over the past three years have seen remarkable improvement. The clubhouse, pool and Jacuzzi area has been completly remodeled, and the new management company keeps the place clean and the snow plowed.

I stay in the same unit time after time because it was recently remodeled. Not all the owners in Chamonix have remodeled their individual units, but the ones that have been remodeled are very nice - be sure to ask when the unit was remodeled, and take a close look at the photos. I always ask for Unit 19, and I book it through 101 Great Escapes.(Chamonix discountined their on site rental program, so now you need to book through a variety of agencies, so rates and level of service varies from unit to unit).

My kids and I always walk to the lifts at Canyon Lodge. Because Chamonix is so close to the lifts, people who are not staying there try to park there and walk to Canyon Lodge. I did see some cars that did not have parking passes get towed. There was always a space for me to park, and the lot was always plowed.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Chamonix Condominiums? Share your experiences!