“Tough to write” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Cinnamon Bear Inn

You added Cinnamon Bear Inn to your Saves list
Cinnamon Bear Inn
2.5 of 5 Inn   |   113 Center Street, US 395 north to Hwy 203 Exit, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Irvine, California
“Tough to write”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I rented two rooms over the holiday season and my husband aptly described it as a Motel trying to be a Bed and Breakfast. There is so much work that needs to be done in this motel, carpets need cleaning, painting, fans and much more. This is a tough review because I believe the Cinnamon Bear Inn is a product of the recession and needs a lot of capital to be invested before it gets anything higher than three stars. There are some basic changes that could have been made, moving the ugly trash cans from the walkway and outside the room, a better breakfast and more insulation so that you do not hear when the upstairs room turns on its bathroom fan.
One positive note, the staff were lovely people.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

I'll start with the good parts...very comfortable bed. I'm a horrible sleeper and actually slept great for 4 days despite the snowboarding aches, pains and bruises. Great closet space. Old school heater/fireplace thing was cool and worked phenomenally well. Good location. Breakfast was small, average on selection and taste, and very family-kitchen-ish.

Now what makes it "meh". It's old and creaky. If you stay downstairs, be prepared to hear every footstep, every laugh, every cough, every muffled conversation all night. The decor and furniture is also very dated. It smells like a dead animal outside the front office...but there very well could be one in the woods behind it. The hot tub is small...and, well, you couldn't pay me to go in it.

Overall, it was okay. It is so very reasonably priced that I might stay there again when the Westin jacks up their rates on holidays. If you like old style B&B or family owned motels, you will probably like this place.

Stayed December 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

We have stayed here twice and had a great experience both times. The managers are very helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable and the breakfast is always delicious! I recommend visiting during the winter because I love the snow!! but it is beautiful in Mammoth all year round.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Fontana, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My husband and I spent 1 night at the Cinnamon Bear B&B on our way back home from Lake Tahoe. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The managers seem to be vey pleasant and were very accommodating to all our needs.

Room Tip: Room close to the Main House
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bochum
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

Stayed in August for 1 night. Arrived late but the owner left the key in a box which was great. Rooms are quite nice, small but VERY LOUD. You can hear everything that other people talk or do in their rooms. Paid 138 $ for 1 night- too expensive but normal for the area.
Slept well but the beds are very soft. Cleanliness could be improved in the rooms.

Had the breakfast which was just OK, nothing really special but included in the rate.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

Arrived at 7.30 at night and were happily accommodated in a queen room. In keeping with the building and common areas it was very cosy and homely, whilst also being clean and well-appointed. The bed was particularly comfortable. The hot tub is great for cool mountain nights. The homemade breakfast was also very good and provided ample sustenance for the day ahead. There is nothing really to criticise - it is not luxurious or high-end, but is a lovely B&B.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
poway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

This review is limited to the cancellation policy only as we did not stay at the Cinnamon Bear Inn. My Mom was hospitalized with E. coli. (She’s 80 years old) 2 nights before my wife and I were to arrive at the Inn. I contacted the Inn Keeper and explained by situation, that we simply could not travel to Mammoth Lakes for our stay. The Inn Keeper offered to give me 3 nights credit for a midweek stay only till mid-February 2014.This offer has no value to me as we live in San Diego (400 miles from Mammoth) and do not ski. I am more that willing to pay for one night lodging as a penalty but with an offer that I really cannot use I’ve now paid $ 531.48 for nothing. That is just an unfair enrichment to the Inn keeper. I’ve had my own business for 40 years (Civil Engineering) and would never treat my clients like this. This is a terrible penalty imposed on to the traveler. Beware!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
cinnamonbearinn, Owner at Cinnamon Bear Inn, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
We went out of our way to make this guest happy. The reservation was made online with a third party for which we have paid a commission. As part of the reservation process, he checked a box stating that he has read, understood, and agreed to the cancellation policy. Our first contact was when he canceled the day before arrival. Per his agreement with the third party booking agency, he is due nothing back. However, we offered a midweek credit, good for 6 months. Then he sent us festival tickets which we tried to resell for him. Next he called and said he couldn't make it back in 6 months so we agreed to extend the period to 1 year. A month later he called and said his wife was sick and they couldn't--wouldn't be returning at all and he wanted his money back. We believe we have been more than fair in this circumstance.

Been to Cinnamon Bear Inn? Share your experiences!