“B&B Service, Hotel Convenience” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Travelodge Mammoth Lakes

You added Travelodge Mammoth Lakes to your Saves list
Travelodge Mammoth Lakes
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   54 Sierra Blvd, Hwy 203 & Sierra Blvd, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free High Speed Internet
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Cleveland, Ohio
“B&B Service, Hotel Convenience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

I chose this hotel due to the proximity to the Mammoth Lakes attracitons & Yosemite.
I stayed four nights and all the other reviews raving over the owner, Young Kim, are absolutely right. He takes an average hotel and makes it special. Every morning he would ask me my plans for the day and when I returned, would ask how I enjoyed the day. He knew all his guests by name, which is impressive considering that there are 40 rooms. Ask to meet his dog, who is the most friendly Chihuahua I've ever met!!
The breakfast area is small so it may mean that you have to share a table with other guests. I found this to be a positive, not a negative as I met people from Scotland, Germany & Israel by sharing a table.
Since Mr. Kim just took over the property in October 2009, there is some updating and renovating to be done - and it is getting done. It is unreasonable to expect an overnight transformation.
However, if you are not a picky traveler, and are interested in an inexpensive place in an expensive city - this is the place for you.
One word of warning - there is no elevator so if you (or a member of your party) has mobility issues, request a room on the ground floor.
Mammoth Lakes is a great city, in a beautiful location, with lots of restaurants, shopping & activities. The hotel is convenient to Mammoth Ski Resort, Devil's Postpile National Monument, Mono Lake, and about 30 quick minutes to Yosemite.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2010

This was my first trip to Mammoth and if I had to stay at the Travelodge again it would be my last. The owner was very helpful and nice. The restaurant Angel's next door was really good. The frige and microwave were nice to have. The goodness stops there. The room was rediculously small. Although the hotel had free WiFi and breakfast there was no table or desk in the room to use either. The breakfast was disappointing even for continental and free. The beds were terrible, the bathroom was really small and very old. There was mold on the walls and in the shower and the shower was so low flow that it took me 1/2 hour to get the shampoo out of my hair. The room smelled like a dog, The walls were thin and the door was not even full size so it was a challenge to get our things in. The towels were the size of handtowels. The sauna was broken and the jacuzzi did not look clean so my daughter and husband would not even try it. There was no furniture on the patio.
This property is a good location and has the potential to be a nice place to stay but needs a major overhaul. Until some money and work is put into the rooms I would not recommend or stay here again. I did not come with high expectations either, I knew I was staying in a budget hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

First of all, it's hard to say anything bad about the Mammoth Travelodge, because the owner is so cool. He is so friendly and so helpful I feel bad saying anything negative about the place, but I also need to be honest.
I know the owner recently bought the place and is trying to clean it up. It is old and in poor repair in some areas. The front lobby and breakfast area, were brand new and remodeled. Our room was not. The room was clean but shabby. The mattresses were horrible- old and uncomfortable. The bathroom had tile coming off the wall in places and stained grout.
There was a small fridge and microwave in the room which was nice. The free breakfast was nice and what to be expected- coffee, muffins, cereal, etc.
There is underground parking, which is another bonus.
My overall impression: If you want to save money, stay in a convienient location, don't mind some shabbiness, and value customer service, you will be fine here. If you want a pristine, new looking place to stay, this isn't your place.
Again I can't say enough good things about the owner, he really seemed to go out his way to make sure every guest was happy. I hope he continues to improve the place and revamp the rooms.
We would stay here again, if in the area.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

This was our third time staying at the Travelodge Mammoth Lakes. The new owner Young and his wife are the nicest people who really go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible. The rooms are clean, customer service is exceptional, and the location is close to all the major locations in Mammoth. This is a value lodging with first class service. I would recommend this Travelodge to anyone traveling to Mammoth.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Essex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

Mammoth Travelodge is based 10-15 walk from the main villiage, where you can get a gondola to the slopes. You can also catch a bus outside, which takes you (for free) to another part of the mountan.
There are pleanty of restaurants (including Angel's next door) around to choose from and I would basically say this was an ideal location.
The rooms are basic but really clean, offering room service daily. The double queen size rooms are massive and have pleanty of space plus a safe.
Best of all is the amazing service offered by a couple who work really hard to make sure you are comfortable and have everything you need.
Whilst we were in Mammoth, we experienced a few problems (unrelated to the hotel) which caused us a considerable amount of stress!!! We cannot thank the Travelodge owners enough for their help and support...they went beyond their duties to help us out.
To finish with, Mammoth Travelodge is the best and most reasonably priced hotel in Mammoth!!!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2010

I was trying to find some place cheap for spring skiing. Checked on line, either travelodge of motel 6. dont like motel 6's full size beds, so called travelodge's 800 number, they had "general manager special" for only $59 on weekdays and $67 for weekends. So I booked for 3 nights. Read some reviews on TA, not sure what to expect, but with the prices I was going to take a chance. I was satisfied with what I paid:

1. has 2 big dresser drawers for all the ski gloves/thermals/goggles etc. we had a king size bed.
2. has a safe, so i can lock up my purse while skiing
3. has small refrig, we kept all fresh fruits in, also has a microwave which we didnt use
4. big open close space for all the ski pants/jackets, we paid $400 a night at Village at Xmas time, not enough room for all the ski clothes/gears.
5. hotel has wifi, we dont have lap top. but they have a free PC in the lobby which we used daily to email kids and check emails.
6. continental breakfast is basic, toast/donuts/cereal/juice/coffee, but saves us time. lobby also has free hot chocolate, orange juice, coffee 24 hours which is very convenient.
7. there is a small table and chair in the room, we used it to eat fresh fruits daily
8. has under ground parking, would make a difference if it snows. no need to dig out in the morning. also has a indoor jacuzzi.
9. Angel's restaurant right next door has the best BBQ ribs, we ate there 2 nights in a roll. very reasonable prices too.

its a very basic hotel, but with the very low rates compared to other hotels, i think its a good value, and the room is very functional, had everything I need.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Costa Mesa, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2010

First and foremost - DISREGARD ALL REVIEWS PRIOR TO 10/09!! The place changed hands in Oct., 2009 and the new owner is an incredible guy who literally bends over backwards to make you happy.

He and his family live onsite, and he has been working extremely hard to fix the place up after years of neglect. He still has work to do, but none of the aesthetic issues remaining to be addressed will impact the value and location, and the truly phenomenal service lends a B&B feel to your experience.

Second, this is NOT a luxury hotel, or even a resort motel, so don't come rolling in expecting deluxe accomodations. That said, there is a pool/jacuzzi that work great, and the owner has fresh towels for you whenever needed. Our room was on the ground floor and two queen beds with new linens and comfortable mattresses, as well as basic Travelodge toiletries. We also had a small refrigerator and microwave.

Again, the fixtures and furniture are not new, but this is Mammoth and the Travelodge is tied with Motel 6 for the cheapest lodging in town. Motel 6 has gone through a remodel, and has nice staff and new fixtures, but no basic toiletries, breakfast or jacuzzi and smaller, harder beds with thinner linens.

The Travelodge gets 4 stars based on the owner, price and location. Seriously, John is a rock star and you can tell he really cares. The place is clean and comfortable, and I'm sure that he'll get all the paint and carpet upgraded once the ski season is over.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Travelodge Mammoth Lakes? Share your experiences!