“Loved the Austria Hof!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Venice, CA
“Loved the Austria Hof!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2010

We spent two nights last weekend at the "Hof" and couldn't have been happier. The hotel itself is quaint and "Euro" feeling, but the rooms (at least ours) seem to have been completely remodeled and they are very nice -- roomy and lovely. We arrived on Saturday after skiing all day and soon hit the fantastic outdoor jacuzzi on the second floor overlooking the slopes at Canyon Lodge (note that Canyon was closed for the season already which made our stay very affordable as rates are a lot cheaper than during the "season" -- Austria Hof is still one of the closer hotels to Main Lodge, which is the only lodge still open this season). What bliss! We soaked for over an hour and almost no one in the jacuzzi with us (the people who were were very nice). After a post-jacuzzi nap, we decided to try the restaurant downstairs so we didn't have to drive and it was excellent!! They had a special on the prix fixe menu (usually 3 courses for $43, now in the "post season" is just $29...an excellent value when most entrees themselves are more than that). We shared the poke salad (delicious -- had it again the next night) and the escargot (also delicious) as appetizers. For entrees I had the sauerbraten which was ok (but the accompanying red cabbage was terrific) and my partner had the elk which he really liked. For dessert, we had the apple strudel and creme brule (which we took back to the room with their encouragement). The service and atmosphere were excellent. The next day, we did it all again: ski, jacuzzi, nap then dinner at restaurant. Again the food and service was excellent (I had New York steak which I liked a lot more than sauerbraten...my partner had excellent osso bucco). Oh, I forgot to mention the complimentary Continental breakfast each day! (No, it's not ALL about the food, but it WAS nice to have it all right there!). I do not like to eat a lot of carbs so was planning to have to go somewhere else for breakfast and was thrilled to see that they offered boiled eggs on the Continental breakfast...we got to the hill to ski sooner because we didn't have to go somewhere else to eat...yay! The bed was the most comfy we've had in our many trips to Mammoth this year. I really can't say enough about this place...it was like a resort...we didn't have to leave except to ski! A treat.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Santa Barbara, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

I'd like to apologize to the readers for not having posted this earlier.

My Wife and I wanted to do some skiing and some nature viewing. We live in Hollywood and many people said we should try Mammoth, as there are hot springs, Mono lake and other areas of sightseeing interest.

We checked on accommodations and it seemed that his would be the best place with regards to proximity of the slope. Furthermore, they offered Jacuzzi, Fireplace and (allegedly) a great restaurant, which all sounded great.

We were a little apprehensive, as I had read somewhere that the room they booked was not what they got and the desk guy really didn't care. But, at the time, I thought that these kinds of reviews should be taken with a grain of salt i.e. maybe it was another resort just talking poorly of the place.

Not So!

We had booked a room with a view, over a month in advance, and received confirmation that the specific room was booked. When we arrived the (unfriendly) guy at the counter gave us the room key, which was to a room right above the downstairs kitchen (more on that) the "view" was of.......a wall...with snow on top. In other word we were for all intensive purposes..in the basement. We returned to the desk and explained the situation...in a very friendly tone.....the guy could care less. He said in no uncertain words that we could take it or leave it! What else could we do?!?!

We decided to swallow this "rock" and not let it ruin our vacation.

After bringing everything inside and renting our equipment we decided to have dinner at the Hoff's restaurant. I think I had a steak, which was great and my Wife some sort of fish (encrusted Hailbut I think) and it too was great. So we decided to have the rest of our meals there.

After returning to our room we wanted to relax in the jacuzzi with a slope side view. Unfortunately it was broken. When I asked the surly counter guy he grunted something about "a call having been made". I asked if it would be working any time during our stay...he didn't reply. STRIKE 2!

By this time it was late and we decided to turn in. In the middle of the night I awoke covered in sweat. I thought we had maybe left the fireplace on but no. I opened the window but then it became too cold - our nights wold continue like this because the Kitchen was below the room, which provided the "comforting" heat. Moreover, our "friend" at the desk said the place was completely booked and we couldn't even downgrade.

We awoke a bit tired, after a night of opening/closing the window but resolved to keep our chins up. We returned from an excellent day of skiing to find the carpeting in the room soaked with water. I thought maybe something spilled...unfortunately no. A pipe...or something had broken and had indeed soaked half of the room.

We, again, checked in with our "old pal", who had someone come in and drop a few towels on the worst areas?!?!? No wet/dry vac, no room change, no refund NO APOLOGY!!!!!

We decided to leave our wet-room and try another fantastic dinner downstairs. This time I had duck - I don't know why it just seemed "posh". BIG mistake! I awoke with stomach pains in the middle of the night, which was convenient as the window needed opening, and spent some time in the bathroom.

We decided that our voices were never going to be heard there anyways so we skipped it. I was too tired from all the "excitement" so we spent the rest of the day sightseeing, rather than skiing.

Needless to say we did not return to the restaurant and begrudgingly returned to our room.

Now, I have only recently begun writing reviews of places I have stayed, for that I apologize, but it is because I have never put much faith in "reviews". I have quickly learned that I should.

I promise that this review is 1000000000% credible and unless you want what we got; STAY AWAY FROM THE HOFF!!

P.S. As an amusing side-note; they still send me "come back and visit us" emails. OMG;)

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

You can't stay closer to Canyon lodge than this place. The location is great if you want to be the first on the mountain and don't mind a smaller room. You are literally 3 minutes walk from the lifts (if you have everything ready to go). The hotel has a charming European look and feel right down to the restaurant and the staff. My room was on the 3rd floor which will leave you a bit winded your first time up, The hotel in general gets your blood pumping for the slopes and acclimates you to the altitude quicker than other locations around the mountain. It was clean, had a fridge and a decent flat-screen TV+DVD player which was a nice touch. The bed wasn't to my taste but it was big, filled with blankets and had a fairly nice comforter. We also had a small balcony looking over the parking lot where we stored our beer and could have a smoke. It looked like most rooms had a balcony as well but I'm not 100% sure. The only drawbacks were that the room was a bit small with older carpeting (due to all the ski traffic) and a had a stand up shower. I know they have nicer rooms (w/ fireplace) but we didn't think to ask when we booked online which we did directly from their website. If you like good German food this place is a must even if you're not staying at the hotel. Prices are around $20-$30 for a full meal (not including alcohol) and well worth the money. There's also a decent outdoor jacuzzi with a nice deck to relax and have some cocktails after a long day. On a final note; they seem to have pretty cool guests as far as we could tel which is a big plus for us. I would certainly stay here again. I rate the hotel/B&B based on price for the experience, not luxury. ($350 total for 2 nights, Sat to Mon)

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
LA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

We stayed here over Valentine's Weekend and really enjoyed our experience. The location doesnt get much better if you plan on skiing or boarding as the mountain is only a football field away. The bar & restaurant had exceptional service as the staff was friendly and attentive. When you eat at the restaurant, make sure you ask for the J&T Calamari, it is phenomenal!

Our room was very romantic with the fireplace steps from the bed. We were surprised with the nice granite countertops in the bathroom area as well. The king size bed was very comfortable.

The 2nd floor has a nice jacuzzi available which overlooks the mountain that we really enjoyed. If you plan on staying in Mammoth, we highly recommend staying here as we have already made plans to go back in a month.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2009

Spent three nights right before Christmas. Room was clean, well tended, almost everything in working order. (There was a slight leak from the bathroom faucet, and the light switch did not work on one of the standing lamps). The service was really good. they were like elves: never saw them, but everything got done. Front desk was helpful and available. Beds very comfortable, extra pillows, room warm (important in Mammoth!), shower great. In-house restaurant was really, really good. Have the baked brie!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
kisjulya
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

We made a reservation for the opening of the snow season and right before the trip found out that there is no snow. What a bummer! I tried cancelling reservations but was told that if I cancel I will not get a refund. So I tried to postpone the trip and was told that our rate will about triple in January. Gave up that idea and decide to go any way. We got a 1 bedroom condo with fireplace.
CONS:
Advertising states that there are down pillows and blankets. The only down blanket in the condo was a very thin, almost see true comforter. No down pillows in site.
There was no internet connection at all and we had to go in to the hotel across the street to use computer.
Breakfast was horrible. First of all it's served in the lobby of the hotel. For the 3 days all I saw was totally stale(we tried and tossed it) puppy seed bread, yogurt, watered down juice and coffee, but no decaf.
There is no made service in the hotel unless you pay extra for it. We would have to pay for housekeeping even if we wanted to refresh our towels, I was told by the front desk. However shampoos were free of charge is we would go and get it ourselves at the front desk. I was really disappointed.
PROS: The condo is really nice, we stayed at the Chamonix #49. Fireplace is wonderful and plenty of wood. Kitchen is magnificent if you want to cook your meals, fully stocked with dishes and utensils. Bed was pretty comfortable. In the cupboards we found some games and that was great, we played with our granddaughter by the fire place. And of course the lifts are right across the street, providing that they are open.
We paid discount price for that condo but even if price is triples an quadruples, service stays the same. And that is really sad.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Austriahof, owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this review, December 4, 2009
This Guest booked a Thanksgiving weekend stay in a one bedroom condo at $85.00 per night using a promotional last minute rate they received from us in an email. The reason for the rediculously low rate in the first place was due to the lack of snow! Guest knew all this as well as the holiday no-cxl policy in effect. Guest then tried to cancel days before arrival and was reminded again of the terms they agreed to when booking. The front desk, however in an effort to accomodate the guest did allow them to option to reschedule, but guest was unhappy with that as well because they expected an $85.00 rate in January!
Regarding maid service- condos are not hotel rooms and thus receive maid service every four days. Guest received all this in a pre arrival confirmation email as well ias in a welcome letter. Guest had a four day stay so maid service was provided on the second day, Towel exchange is always free as well. Sorry if guest did not like breakfast, it is complimentary and quite delicious in most guests opinion. I believe all complaints stemmed from guests issue with cxl policy and lack of snow.
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Incredible, beautiful and awesome are just a few of the words that come to mind about this charming and wonderful hotel. Less expensive than motel 6....gas fireplaces....jacuzzi and a wonderful continental breakfast. The beds are super comfy and the rooms homey and inviting. The staff is personable and friendly...they remember our names! We don't stay anywhere else anymore....they also price match....

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Austria Hof Lodge? Share your experiences!