“Would definitely stay here again” 5 of 5 stars

Austria Hof Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   924 Canyon Boulevard, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
New Orleans, Louisiana
“Would definitely stay here again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2009

I was looking for a hotel close to the east entrance to Yosemite, and I found this hotel on trip advisor. The price was great - actually the only hotel we found under $100 the whole trip. The two queen beds were extremely comfortable with feather pillows and down comforters. Breakfast, although we had to bring it back up to the room, offered plenty of fresh fruit and good coffee. The town is very cute,and the hotel is in a great location close to the mountain. We liked it so much we stayed here again on our return trip back from Yosemite. We especially liked the second floor hot tub out under the stars.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2009

Free breakfast was coffee, juices, hard boiled eggs (nice!), yogurt, cut-up (nice!) fresh fruits (5 kinds--nice!), muffins etc. (all sweet, no unsweetened baked products), offered 8 a.m.-10 a.m. in small lobby; bring room tray and take breakfast back to room. No coffee maker in room 105.

Room 105 (king + gas fireplace + wall heater) comfy, luxurious; medium-firm bed; above-average bathroom and interior design; enough lights, bright enough to read or sew (not something to take for granted at hotels in general); small closet; 4 chest drawers; iron & board; fridge; square floor fan (was not needed); window at ground level with view of clean narrow asphalt alley. Quiet.

A bit silly: fireplace was at far end of room; instead of seating area (2 comfy chairs, 1 round table, floor lamp) being near it, bed was near it with bed corner crowding fireplace. Why not switch the bed and seating area? I could have moved all the furniture by myself but my hubby wouldn't let me. :-)

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
point reyes, california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Hubby and I had been primitive camping for 8 nights. After mountain biking all day we wanted a real bed and a good shower. I had a headache and needed a cool and comfortable place to lay down. We did not have a reservation. I remembered reading the review from Haley C who stated she has chemical sensitivities and that they were not exacerbated by this hotel. We walked in at 5:00 pm on a Thursday (the weekend of their Blues Fest) and asked for the best rate on a room. We explained that I was getting sick and need to be checked in quickly. The hotel clerk, a young gentleman could not of been nicer and spoke in a quiet voice. He gave us a Queen at a good rate. The room was on the end and overlooked the parking lot where we could watch our car. The location ended up to be quieter than I thought it would with no second hand smoke filtering in. (thank you to people who do not smoke around lodgings.) We were checked in quickly and politely. There is no air conditioning, but the room had a standing room fan with three speeds. It was not on, so it took about 30 minutes for the room to cool on a very hot day. My suggestion to others is to call ahead if you know you are staying here and ask them to turn the fan on an hour before your arrival (and keep the drapes closed against the sun.) Someone on here complained of no fan or A/C, so make sure you are guaranteed a fan when you book. The room was very clean in all the areas. Nothing gave me the creeps. I felt I could walk on the floor and not get something disgusting. I like that it didn't smell of chemicals although the sheets smelled of bleach. If you are chemically sensitive that is the only thing that bothered me, but I just covered up the sheet with a shirt and didn't breath it. My husband was planning on getting up at 6:00 am to hike on his own and at 8:30 pm we noticed that all the cars were double parked and there was a car behind ours. We had a tree in front of our car so we were blocked. We called the front desk and our space was cleared within 3 minutes. Downstairs is like going back in time and if you have teenagers (although I play them too) there are a few vintage arcade games to keep people happy. A "Centipede" and "PacMan" and another. Pool table too. The only thing that bothered me was breakfast. I knew breakfast lasted until 10:00 am. I rushed out there at 9:59 am and the breakfast was gone.
Something you may want to know is the first floor of rooms is actually the second floor, which is great for quietness, but I don't think there is an elevator. There are about 8 steps and they are unusually steep and the planks are not as wide as most.
I don't understand some of these poor reviews, so apparently it's a hit and miss on the people at the front desk and the room. I am really, really picky and I was pleased.
Also, you are right across the street from the Side Door Cafe which has wonderful crepes and cafe latte's and it's close to the edge of town toward the Mammoth Mountain Park. For the price, in this area, the Austria Hof Lodge is a good deal.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We stayed at the one bedroom condo for 3 nights during August. We enjoyed our stay so much we wanted to add an extra day, but unfortunately the condo was already booked. The place was extremely clean, it was pretty close to everything, and the kids loved the pool area. Breakfast was not much, so we ended up buying our own, and we had some confusion how to get clean towels and toilat paper (there is no daily houskeeping in the condo), but all in all, it was a pleasant stay in a comfortable, clean, quiet place. I recomend this place to a family with small children.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
S.F. Bay Area
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

We took a trip to Mammoth Lakes area the first week of June to explore Mono Lake and visit the ghost town Bodie. We didn't actually stay in the Lodge. We rented a condo at Chamonix , booking it through Austria Hof Lodge. The condo complex is right across the road from the lodge. We got a great rate on the condo and this was a good option for us as there was three of us traveling together. I was happy with the condition of the condo and I would recommend these lodgings. They are a little run down but overall a good stay. The folks working at the Lodge were friendly and helpful, they have a good staff there.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2009

We recently enjoyed 4 nights at the Austria Hof for a spring skiing getaway. This is a small family owned inn, and may not be a good fit if you are looking for a large corporate environment, with a concierge or an elevator- Austria Hof has neither.

That said, we found the Austria Hof exceeded our expectations in all of the things that mattered most:

The bed was very comfortable and the bedding was high quality.
Our room was very clean, quiet, and up to date,
Bathroom was clean and had lovely tilework.
Refrigerator in room.
Continental Breakfast is included in room rate.
Walking distance to Canyon Lodge Ski Lifts.
Restaurant and Bar are excellent and a good value.

We asked for a quiet room when I called for a reservation, and was amazed at how quiet the room was, we were not bothered with any noise. Our room had a Queen size bed on the third floor, with a very clean but small bathroom. If a small bathroom bothers you, spend a bit more for a King size room. The bed was so comfortable, and the sheets were soft and thick, excellent!

As some previous reviewers noted, this inn has a few odd habits, but we were not bothered. Any requests we made were accommodated, and we appreciated the non-corporate, family business vibe here. For example, towels were clean and amply supplied, but some days there were no washcloths provided. This did not bother us, but if it did the front desk people were always most helpful. Another oddity was the in-room coffemaker was supplied with great teas and wonderful freshly ground coffee - but no coffee filters. We weren't bothered enough to either buy some coffee filters at the grocery store, nor ask the front desk for filters -we simply opted to make hot water for tea in our room, and get our coffee at the continental breakfast each morning.

The daily breakfast always included a nice tray of freshly sliced Melons, Strawberries, and sometimes fresh Pineapple or Oranges. Hard Boiled Eggs, Yogurt, and freshly baked Muffins as well as Coffee and Tea completed the selections. All were delicious. We used the tray in our room to bring our breakfast to our in room dining table, because there is limited space in the lobby where the breakfast is served.

We enjoyed the food and drinks in the Restaurant and Bar downstairs, excellent quality and great service! Only wish we had eaten there every night. The Bar has some great Happy Hour Appetizer specials, one night we enjoyed several fabulous appetizers with our drinks, and were very pleased with our selections.

We look forward to returning to Austria Hof for another ski adventure, loved walking to the lifts without need of waiting for a shuttle bus,

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Southern California, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2008

I stayed this past weekend and was delighted with this hotel. I have a very rare disorder with chemical sensitivity issues and was very impressed that they do not use deodorizers or scented matter in the rooms. Also, there was not toxic chemical smells from the cleaning of the bathroom within the room. The staff was excellent in following my request to air out the room and I am sincerely appreciative of the attention to my request. The room was very clean without toxic air, etc. The bed and linens were so comfortable and clean without perfumed scents. The comforter was very nice quality and was very clean. I remember feeling exceptionally comfy in bed which is a unique experience for me in a hotel. I have stayed in many hotels and I am quite fussy, I will stay at expensive hotels for the quality. I was grateful that my stay was comfortable and delightful. If one has sensitive health issues with asthma or allergies, it is a great place to stay. Furthermore, a beautiful view of the slopes and the hotel was decorated nicely.

Stayed October 2008

Been to Austria Hof Lodge? Share your experiences!