“Why I recommend Austria Hof in Mammoth Lakes, CA” 4 of 5 stars

Austria Hof Lodge
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   924 Canyon Boulevard, Mammoth Lakes, CA 93546   |
Ranked #16 of 30 hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Janesville, Wisconsin
“Why I recommend Austria Hof in Mammoth Lakes, CA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

A Great Shopper Value...Stayed 5 nites...free nite stay deal...room fridge...Canyon Lodge is only yards away...restaurant and bar with great happy hour...home made food that is delicious...complimentary continential breakfast (granola is worth mentioning-toasted walnuts!) excellent coffee...after you are done with your Mammoth adventures for the day, this place is your private quiet retreat or ski apres! I visit Mammoth often and have stayed at quite a few places...this is the best value for my budget so far...and I'm going back...

Room Tip: You will have to carry your belongings up a flight or two of steps if you do not stay on the first f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

183 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

my husband, teenaged son, and i recently stayed for a long weekend at the austriahof lodge's 1 bedroom condo in the mammoth view villas. we arrived late at night and as promised, our keys were waiting to be picked up at the lodge front desk. we then drove down the hill to the condo. the decor was pleasant albeit a little kitschy (lots of bears and little wreaths). the beds were comfortable with a king in the bedroom and a pullout in the living room. the bathroom had a shower and toilet, with the sink in the hallway for easy access. the kitchen was well stocked. there were plenty of soft towels and toilet paper. the heating was from a gas fireplace in the living room and a small wall heater in the bedroom. there was no housekeeping. the condo is walking distance to the main village, and the shuttle stop to canyon lodge was a short block away. there is a jacuzzi in the complex which was a typical condo spa...a little dirty around the edges, but overall tolerable. it is located in a little club house with a ping pong table, sofa, changing rooms, a sauna, and a bathroom.

we drove each morning to the austriahof lodge at about 8 am for the continental breakfast which consisted of toast, bagels, yogurt, granola, hard boiled eggs, fresh fruit (excellent quality), and individually wrapped zucchini bread. several juices, tea, and horrible coffee were also available. it is a nice thing to have "free" breakfast so overall i was happy with their offerings. we took some of the wrapped zucchini bread to munch on later in the day on the slopes.

we parked at then end of the free parking lot for canyon lodge, close to the austriahof lodge and walked up a little snow ramp to a triple slow chair. from the top of that chair, you can take the roller coaster high speed lift and you're off to anywhere. at the end of the day, we boarded down the little ramp and hopped into our car...very convenient. we had a parking pass to the austriahof lodge which we really never used. although i suppose if we got there really late and the canyon lodge parking was full, it would have come in handy to be able to park in their lot and just walk the very short way to the little ramp.

we had dinner one night in the restaurant of the austriahof lodge. they have a $25 special for a 3 course dinner from 5-7 which was reasonable. the food was quite good. we had a great ahi tower salad and scallops appetizers. the spaetzal was bad...not anything like what we have had in austria or germany...not enough cheese. we had to return the tomato soup as it was extremely watery...it tasted like watery campbell's soup. the beef wellington was above average. the service seemed a little amateurish, like most places in mammoth. there were forgotten things like coffee ordered. overall, i would say it was an above average dining experience compared to other places in mammoth. there is a 10% off coupon for the restaurant in the lobby.

i cannot vouch for the lodge rooms now, but we stayed in a lodge room many years ago for our first wedding anniversary, and it was quite decent. i would say that it is a better deal than mammoth mountain lodge, which is a little more expensive, and not really any more convenient.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

I thought I made a reservation on line but I apparently did not complete it. When I arrived to check in the man at the front desk was surly at best. He acted like he was doing me a big favor by allowing me to check in even though the place was practically empty. He gave me a room directly above the bar and I could not sleep until it closed. I can't imagine he wasn't aware of this. On the plus side my meal and service at the restaurant were excellent.

• Stayed January 2013
Ireland/Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We stayed here only one night (jammed itinerary) but wish we could have stayed here longer the hotel is lovely with an Austrian Ski cabin feel; our room was quite big, very clean and luxurious with a balcony. We arrived late from San Francisco as we took the 108 Sonora pass instead of the 120, but the reception kept the kitchen open for us and what a delight it was; the food was first class, truly the best salmon I have ever had. The restaurant had a nice feel and the adjoining bar. We got up graded to the King room and the bed was so comfortable. The breakfast was a nice buffet and kept us going till lunch. It was our favourite hotel of our trip and I would definitely stay here again and would recommend to family and friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Mammoth Lakes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

the most amazing thing in a hotel in the mountains is to find an extraordinary restaurant hidden inside. the people at the bar are friendly and smart. The SPA in the snow with a glass of wine gazing at the stars is wanderful

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Agoura, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I booked a room at the Austria Hof Lodge for over new years which was more than 2 weeks away. Unknown to me my husband just booked a room at our first choice location which had a bigger room and was previously sold out, so when he told me I immediately cancelled at the Austria Hof. I CANCELLED THE RESERVATION APPROX. 10 MINUTES FROM THE TIME I MADE IT. They charged me the $50 dollar cancellation charge. I called explaining the circumstance that it literally was cancelled right after I made it as it just didn't seem fair for them to charge me, and that made no difference to them and they still charged the $50. They will easily rent that room if it isn't already since it is during the holiday and over 2 weeks away. It was done online so it did not inconvenience them. I do not like places that do not have good customer service. Although I am required to pay the $50 by their cancellation policy despite them being aware of the circumstances, I feel that sometimes as a business you just need to do the right thing and treat people fairly instead of just trying to make the most money....they certainly did not do the right thing and in the long run a bad reputation will not help your business . I WILL NEVER STAY IN THE AUSTRIA HOF LODGE because they couldn't approach a problem on an individual basis and took advantage of this situation to make a quick $50 for nothing. I find that very immoral.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Austriahof, Owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Kim S, I apologize that you experienced issues and and are unhappy with the stated cancellation policies and rules. Unfortunately you made this through a third party reservation system and in doing so agreed to very specific policies beyond our control. The cancellation was reported to us the following day and was subject to a nominal $50.00 fee. I understand your frustration and wish I could do more but you did not make the booking directly with us and in doing so you are subject to the other travel sites policies. Thank You, Joseph Mueller, Owner
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We'd seen it for years and finally stayed here - perfectly situated next to Canyon Lodge - you'd think they'd cater to skier's needs, but breakfast and coffee is embargoed until 8 am - so forget first chair. Refrigerator in room but no coffee maker, paper cups, old TV with mis-connected DVD. Noisy old school place, but serviceable. The facility is worn with a few upgrades, but pretty basic. Great views of Lincoln from outdoor hot tub. Bizarre apple smells permeated the entire place starting at 4 am and really never stopped - fun at first but nauseating by the end. Hotel staff answered questions but offered little more and didn't smile much if at all.
By contract, downstairs the bar staff was GREAT, friendly and helpful, good happy hour deals, but the menu is rather (but not exclusively) meat-oriented.
In sum, the place seems to be striving to be true to old-school Austria "hospitality" that seems out of place in this day and place. Check out the happy hour, and stay to be near the slopes if you want, but don't expect them to cater or respond to your needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Been to Austria Hof Lodge? Share your experiences!