“gourmet experience” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Mammoth Lakes
“gourmet experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

the most amazing thing in a hotel in the mountains is to find an extraordinary restaurant hidden inside. the people at the bar are friendly and smart. The SPA in the snow with a glass of wine gazing at the stars is wanderful

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Agoura, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I booked a room at the Austria Hof Lodge for over new years which was more than 2 weeks away. Unknown to me my husband just booked a room at our first choice location which had a bigger room and was previously sold out, so when he told me I immediately cancelled at the Austria Hof. I CANCELLED THE RESERVATION APPROX. 10 MINUTES FROM THE TIME I MADE IT. They charged me the $50 dollar cancellation charge. I called explaining the circumstance that it literally was cancelled right after I made it as it just didn't seem fair for them to charge me, and that made no difference to them and they still charged the $50. They will easily rent that room if it isn't already since it is during the holiday and over 2 weeks away. It was done online so it did not inconvenience them. I do not like places that do not have good customer service. Although I am required to pay the $50 by their cancellation policy despite them being aware of the circumstances, I feel that sometimes as a business you just need to do the right thing and treat people fairly instead of just trying to make the most money....they certainly did not do the right thing and in the long run a bad reputation will not help your business . I WILL NEVER STAY IN THE AUSTRIA HOF LODGE because they couldn't approach a problem on an individual basis and took advantage of this situation to make a quick $50 for nothing. I find that very immoral.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Austriahof, Owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear Kim S, I apologize that you experienced issues and and are unhappy with the stated cancellation policies and rules. Unfortunately you made this through a third party reservation system and in doing so agreed to very specific policies beyond our control. The cancellation was reported to us the following day and was subject to a nominal $50.00 fee. I understand your frustration and wish I could do more but you did not make the booking directly with us and in doing so you are subject to the other travel sites policies. Thank You, Joseph Mueller, Owner
Santa Barbara, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We'd seen it for years and finally stayed here - perfectly situated next to Canyon Lodge - you'd think they'd cater to skier's needs, but breakfast and coffee is embargoed until 8 am - so forget first chair. Refrigerator in room but no coffee maker, paper cups, old TV with mis-connected DVD. Noisy old school place, but serviceable. The facility is worn with a few upgrades, but pretty basic. Great views of Lincoln from outdoor hot tub. Bizarre apple smells permeated the entire place starting at 4 am and really never stopped - fun at first but nauseating by the end. Hotel staff answered questions but offered little more and didn't smile much if at all.
By contract, downstairs the bar staff was GREAT, friendly and helpful, good happy hour deals, but the menu is rather (but not exclusively) meat-oriented.
In sum, the place seems to be striving to be true to old-school Austria "hospitality" that seems out of place in this day and place. Check out the happy hour, and stay to be near the slopes if you want, but don't expect them to cater or respond to your needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Old lodge great location but Lodge has seen its better days. They do the best they can with what they have and that was ok. Ideal place to go with friends, parking and internet included (good signal even in 3rd floor). Nice Jacuzzi in 2nd floor but since carpet was so dirty and dinning room was smelly I did not dare to go on it. Bed sheets and covers were clean so was bathroom, but again carpets and chairs were scary old and dirty. Not bad for $80 per day but I rather to pay extra $10 or $20 and try something else next time.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room .302 had little balcony facing mountain and no noise upstairs ; )
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The room was hot, stuffy and smelled bad. The "breakfast" they offered was pitiful with cheap breads and teas. They had yogurt that was sitting out and getting warm and the fresh fruit they had did not look fresh at all. The room had an in room refrigerator that was very loud and sounded like an ice machine was in the room rumbling all night. Not impressed at all. One upside is that you couldn't get closer to lifts in the winter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

On a road trip of the west states hiking Yosemite was one of the things on schedule little did we know its very hard to find a place to stay in that area that's why I'm so happy we found the Austria Hof. Other places were very rude and unhelpful and booked months in advance. The receptionist was the nicest guy he helped us find everything from clothing stores to dinner to fun things to do all with a smile! I never felt bad asking him questions. The room was nice VERY clean lots of towels, huge bed nice sheets and a fire place. The only down side being no aid conditioner but since we were there in September it wasn't to bad . The bar was great and had a fantastic happy hour cheap drinks and discount on the all of their food. I recommend eating at the bar not the resterant the menus and different and the bar is much cheaper. The hot tub was great and I would absolutely go back

• Stayed September 2012
Delta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed for one night at the Austria Hof with our family of five. Again, was a bit disappointed that when I booked for five that there was no extra bed in the room but I'm kind of getting used to it (thank goodness for the blow up bed!). Having said that the room was spacious enough with two sinks - one inside the bathroom and one out. The place is obviously geared more for the winter skier and the room showed a few signs of wear and tear. The curtains could have done with a thorough wash but the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I loved the building, we used to live in Germany and skied in the alps a lot, so it reminded me of the Pensions we had stayed in when we used to ski there. The wifi was great and speedy and the breakfast was what we've come to expect: fruit, toast, boiled eggs, yogurt and cereal. We were glad we arrived when we did to take advantage of the Happy Hour in the bar and the menu served there too. The food was awesome and the prices were great - just felt very sorry for the barman that seemed terribly overworked and anxious to serve everyone as fast as he could as the lone person serving. There were some negatives, however. There was no air conditioning in the rooms - so the room was hot... very hot. To help with that, we slept with the window and curtains opened. I only discovered the next morning that the balcony that I thought was just ours was actually shared, so that meant that my family and I who weren't sleeping wearing much at all, had unbeknown to us been, how do I say it, pretty exposed to any other hotel guest that decided to come walking along the balcony from the hot tub! The other thing that ruined our evening and this was really no fault of the hotel's was the someone decided to break the no smoking policy. As a result, our room suddenly began to reek of cigarette smoke to the point that after an hour, I was almost wheezing in our room. We did go down to see if we could switch rooms but the front desk had closed by then and we didn't feel it was a big enough emergency to call the emergency number. In summary, this was an OK place to stay and being right at the bottom of the ski lift, it's probably the place to stay in the winter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Austria Hof Lodge? Share your experiences!