“Could be better” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 30 Hotels in Mammoth Lakes
Santa Barbara, California
“Could be better”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We'd seen it for years and finally stayed here - perfectly situated next to Canyon Lodge - you'd think they'd cater to skier's needs, but breakfast and coffee is embargoed until 8 am - so forget first chair. Refrigerator in room but no coffee maker, paper cups, old TV with mis-connected DVD. Noisy old school place, but serviceable. The facility is worn with a few upgrades, but pretty basic. Great views of Lincoln from outdoor hot tub. Bizarre apple smells permeated the entire place starting at 4 am and really never stopped - fun at first but nauseating by the end. Hotel staff answered questions but offered little more and didn't smile much if at all.
By contract, downstairs the bar staff was GREAT, friendly and helpful, good happy hour deals, but the menu is rather (but not exclusively) meat-oriented.
In sum, the place seems to be striving to be true to old-school Austria "hospitality" that seems out of place in this day and place. Check out the happy hour, and stay to be near the slopes if you want, but don't expect them to cater or respond to your needs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Phoenix, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Old lodge great location but Lodge has seen its better days. They do the best they can with what they have and that was ok. Ideal place to go with friends, parking and internet included (good signal even in 3rd floor). Nice Jacuzzi in 2nd floor but since carpet was so dirty and dinning room was smelly I did not dare to go on it. Bed sheets and covers were clean so was bathroom, but again carpets and chairs were scary old and dirty. Not bad for $80 per day but I rather to pay extra $10 or $20 and try something else next time.

Room Tip: 3rd floor room .302 had little balcony facing mountain and no noise upstairs ; )
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

The room was hot, stuffy and smelled bad. The "breakfast" they offered was pitiful with cheap breads and teas. They had yogurt that was sitting out and getting warm and the fresh fruit they had did not look fresh at all. The room had an in room refrigerator that was very loud and sounded like an ice machine was in the room rumbling all night. Not impressed at all. One upside is that you couldn't get closer to lifts in the winter.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

On a road trip of the west states hiking Yosemite was one of the things on schedule little did we know its very hard to find a place to stay in that area that's why I'm so happy we found the Austria Hof. Other places were very rude and unhelpful and booked months in advance. The receptionist was the nicest guy he helped us find everything from clothing stores to dinner to fun things to do all with a smile! I never felt bad asking him questions. The room was nice VERY clean lots of towels, huge bed nice sheets and a fire place. The only down side being no aid conditioner but since we were there in September it wasn't to bad . The bar was great and had a fantastic happy hour cheap drinks and discount on the all of their food. I recommend eating at the bar not the resterant the menus and different and the bar is much cheaper. The hot tub was great and I would absolutely go back

• Stayed September 2012
Delta, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

We stayed for one night at the Austria Hof with our family of five. Again, was a bit disappointed that when I booked for five that there was no extra bed in the room but I'm kind of getting used to it (thank goodness for the blow up bed!). Having said that the room was spacious enough with two sinks - one inside the bathroom and one out. The place is obviously geared more for the winter skier and the room showed a few signs of wear and tear. The curtains could have done with a thorough wash but the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. I loved the building, we used to live in Germany and skied in the alps a lot, so it reminded me of the Pensions we had stayed in when we used to ski there. The wifi was great and speedy and the breakfast was what we've come to expect: fruit, toast, boiled eggs, yogurt and cereal. We were glad we arrived when we did to take advantage of the Happy Hour in the bar and the menu served there too. The food was awesome and the prices were great - just felt very sorry for the barman that seemed terribly overworked and anxious to serve everyone as fast as he could as the lone person serving. There were some negatives, however. There was no air conditioning in the rooms - so the room was hot... very hot. To help with that, we slept with the window and curtains opened. I only discovered the next morning that the balcony that I thought was just ours was actually shared, so that meant that my family and I who weren't sleeping wearing much at all, had unbeknown to us been, how do I say it, pretty exposed to any other hotel guest that decided to come walking along the balcony from the hot tub! The other thing that ruined our evening and this was really no fault of the hotel's was the someone decided to break the no smoking policy. As a result, our room suddenly began to reek of cigarette smoke to the point that after an hour, I was almost wheezing in our room. We did go down to see if we could switch rooms but the front desk had closed by then and we didn't feel it was a big enough emergency to call the emergency number. In summary, this was an OK place to stay and being right at the bottom of the ski lift, it's probably the place to stay in the winter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012 via mobile

I'm not sure what it was but I suffered terrible asthma every time we were in our room. My son also had a constant runny nose. But when we left the room the symptoms would stop. I think it was just the fact that it was an old building and needs some renovations. Also I booked a fireplace room and when my husband mentioned it the people at front desk said we didn't. I had the paper that said we did but never got around to show them. It didn't matter though cause it was so hot. Had to open windows constantly. Also the restaurant makes the hotel smell like food. I will say the location is good and I noticed the cleaning people did a great job and were friendly. Breakfast wasn't worth it, we ended up going to McDonald's. I was disappointed, not worth what they charge.

• Stayed August 2012
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Thsi place is probably a great ski lodge with a noisy bar and a very ordinary restaurant serving big stodgy meals. In the summer it has no air-con and our room had just one window which opened onto a shared balcony area over looking the carpark. This was a more expensive mountain view room and, yes, there was sloping ground to be seen beyond the carpark.
We fell for the book a meal online and save option, assuming that we'd pre-paid. When we had dinner there were items which seemed a bit interesting but we'd pre-paid for the cheap stuff so we stuck withg it. Next day at check-out we were assured that we hadn't pre-paid for anything but the room. We could have eaten at least a bit better.
We had some wine with our dinner - enormously marked up. A wuine we'd been buying in convenience stores for less than ten dollars was being offered at $30. After we'd signe the chit, the half asleep server indicated that he'd added the gratuity so we didn't have to worry. Later we saw thet he'd applied a 25% tip. When I mentioned this at checkout the clerk replied - "Oh I don't know what those bar guys downstairs get up to.
We've marked sleep quality as terrible but this was due to the altitude and not the bed.
So, for skiers who just want beer, burgers and bed, this is probably OK, but summer trippers, steer clear.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Austriahof, Owner at Austria Hof Lodge, responded to this review, August 18, 2012
Dear Roger C, Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I apologize for any issues you may have had and would like to respond to several of your issues. First, I understand that you expected the meals to be prepaid with the rest of your stay. In your particular case however I found that you requested the value meals after making your online reservations with us. Since electronic payment is collected automatically when the reservation was made it was not our policy to charge your card a second time without a swipe, rather our policy is to collect payment at checkout when we can verify the card. In addition, both at check-in and in the restaurant all guests are presented with the menu you requested which clearly states that service of 18% will be collected your server. In your case you were charged exactly 18% as outlined on the menu and on the website where you first found the special offer. And it is a special offer! We offer a three course complete dinner for 19.95 plus tip and tax. Of course you won't find our famous Poki salad or our Elk on it but it is still a very popular and delicious option for guests looking for value these days. Regarding the wine list, restaurants are not grocery stores and must maintain higher margins to stay in business. The wines you selected were an excellent Pinots and both under $30 and priced very fairly. Thank you for your comments, Joseph Mueller

Been to Austria Hof Lodge? Share your experiences!